Unsw jd / uts jd (1 Viewer)

PashaMon

HSC
N/A
Hi all,

As a precursory note, I am a graduate from the University of Sydney with a BEd (Hons 1M) and BArts (Hons 1).
After 18 months of disenchantment in the secondary education profession, I am considering undertaking a J.D at either UNSW or UTS.
Succeeding much investigation into the UNSW JD and UTS JD, which suggests that UNSW is at the forefront of law studies, in terms of both compulsory and elective offerings and distinguished academic staff, it seems almost irrational to be debating these two options. Notwithstanding this, it is the following piece of information that drives my debate: UTS has the highest graduate employment rate of any law school in NSW. Admittedly, this information is derived from the UTS website.
I have consulted Barristers widely on this topic; they have, informed by their own admitted loyalties and allegiances, suggested either Sydney or UNSW. One, in fact, remarked that ‘UTS is about twenty years behind in reputation’.
I suppose what I’m seeking is a number of responses offering advice about the reality of both the ostensible gap between the universities and the employment prospects upon graduation at each institution.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Best regards,
P.

ac91

HSC
UNSW. If you look at Australia's university ranking's you will notice that UTS is a long way down the list. UNSW, Macquarie, Sydney etc. are alot higher.
UNSW for sure. Every uni says they have the highest employment prospects. It's rubbish.

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
So if you had to compare the UTS Juris Doctor, the UNSW Juris Doctor, or the USyd Graduate Law (soon becoming the Juris Doctor anyway), what would you rate as the highest?

Next year, I am applying for B Law @ UTS (as there are no Commonwealth-Supported Places at the UTS Juris Doctor), Juris Doctor @ UNSW (CSP) and Juris Doctor @ USyd (CSP). What should my order of priority be?
UNSW and USyd are functionally identical in terms of graduate prospects but they both far outstrip UTS. Choose which ever suits you best on the softer factors like:
  • How you like the campus
  • How convenient transport is
  • Whether Newtown or Kensington sounds better as part of your neighborhood
  • etc

jola88

HSC
i had the same decision to make at the beginning of this year. i went with the unsw jd and i'm pretty pleased with that decision so far.
unsw does a seminar style learning, you don't have any lectures, just 2 hour tutes with no more than 28 ppl in them. it's really interactive and helps me a lot getting my head around all the new concepts i have to learn! i'm not sure what the structure of the uts jd is, but i've found the seminars a really good way to do it.

kickapoo

HSC
If you dont mind, may I ask what were the requirements for the UNSW JD and what did you get (in terms of WAM)? Thanks in advance, as I am highly interested in applying for JD entry in 2011.

fudebako

HSC
I'm doing the JD at UNSW this year too. :)

When I was applying last year, the admin people told me that it was "a matter of luck". i.e. it all really comes down to how good/tough your competition is. Judging from the calibre of the current grads in the JD program, i'd say you'd need (at the very least) a distinction average in whatever degree/s you're doing... i'm willing to bet most of them had HD averages though.

As for the requirements - you need to have a degree in a non-law area of study. There are heaps of JD students who only have a bachelors, but there's also heaps that have their masters (local and overseas) and even PHDs.

oh and p.s. UNSW vs UTS isn't even a real choice for the JD. if you get into UNSW. go there. i moved from interstate to come to UNSW... i got into UTS too - but hardly anyone from outside of sydney had heard of UTS before... that pretty much made my choice for me.

PashaMon

HSC
N/A
Thank you for the responses; they are much appreciated.

Incidentally, I received an offer, detailing the matriculation process, from UTS 7 days after I submitted my application through UAC. I am awaiting notice from UNSW. The PG Inquiries Officer indicated that offers should (will?) be released early-mid-June for a mid-July start.

As it stands, I will opt for UNSW if the offer arrives. Industry advice, student contributions and conventional wisdom all suggest that UNSW should be preferred.

Thanks again for your informed contributions,

P.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)