UNSW LAW - ATAR below cutoff of 99.65 and still got in??? (1 Viewer)

NBGHHS

HSC
Hey, it's their dream course, it's their future.

"Fair" and "low" have no meaning.
Well, now it's only 3 points so Deswa's thoughts were obviously mirrored by UNSW.

I, for one, only made it to law using bonus points; both extra-curricular activity points WITH AAA.
I did not get 99+ nor did i have any intention/hope of getting it. I've always wanted to do law and I'm enjoying it immensely. So I actually think the AAA was a godsend and is allowing me to do something that otherwise would have taken me an extra year to do. Whilst there is a huge gap between a 99.7 student and a 94.7 student - this means nothing when you come to university and partake in a law course. How you do comes down to hard work and not what you managed to get in the HSC.

Last edited:

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
I think theres some sort of western sydney bonus too, because I know someone who got in this year with 96+, I asked them if they got AAA and they said something this western sydney bonus scheme or something

I agree 100% with the person above me said, and honestly harden up deswa and stop whining, if you dont like other people getting a shot at law without getting 99.65 then flap off to usyd with their 99.7 no bonus

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Personally, I'm not really supportive of any bonus points except for circumstances such as EAS where people actually deserve a proper chance. I mean, giving bonus points is just favouring certain students over others for a crappy reason (eg AAA).

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Personally, I'm not really supportive of any bonus points except for circumstances such as EAS where people actually deserve a proper chance. I mean, giving bonus points is just favouring certain students over others for a crappy reason (eg AAA).
Yeah I sorta used my parents centrelink to get into uts and eas too. (I lived in a poor area.... Locational disadvantage)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
But seriously, it's sad when you see people with scholarships when they don't need it - I know people with like parents that doctors and lawyers on 10kpa scholarships etc. Sure, the "earned" it but that's not the point, my point is that the money they get can really help someone that actually needs it.

darkdog307

HSC
The money is only offered to attract the 'high achievers' to the uni, if New South didn't have it, I'm sure those people would be more inclined to go to uSYD because of the 10k/y offered.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
But seriously, it's sad when you see people with scholarships when they don't need it - I know people with like parents that doctors and lawyers on 10kpa scholarships etc. Sure, the "earned" it but that's not the point, my point is that the money they get can really help someone that actually needs it.
How does this necessarily embody success? It doesn't.

I would expect you not to present misconceptions as true, especially with the saturation that surrounds lawyers in a more contemporaneous sense, anyway.

Myans

HSC
Unlikely does not cater for every arising circumstance.
I think the point someth1ng was making (correct me if I'm wrong) was in respect to a specific set of people he knew rather than making a generalisation. Which I can confirm is true of more than the subset of people he knows. Not to say that it is true of every 10k+ scholarship recipient, but in relation to those specific people, it begs the question: why accept a scholarship that you don't necessarily need financially? Separate thread would be needed to discuss this to not hijack this thread.

Back to the topic --> AAA, Duke of ED, EAS, Elite Athletes Program, School Captain Bonus are all explanations.

sarah jones

HSC
thanks Myans, that helps but where is this information? is this not public information?? I cant find it anywhere...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)