UNSW Math/Comp & Related Course Reviews (1 Viewer)

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Hello everyone,

I'm BoredUser and as someone who is bored, I have decided to create a pseudo-journal in which I go through the subjects I have taken and give my ratings and advice so that you can be more prepared for courses you might take in the future. Even if you aren't an university student, this can give you valuable insight into how the courses are and the "vibe" to it which can help you decide whether you're interested in doing a similar program. I feel this will be the most helpful for 2023 students who have an interest in STEM since you will take many introductory courses such as MATH11(3/4/5)1/1081 or comp1511.

Let me remind you, my opinion should not be the penultimate one for your judgement but should definitely give you a path to steer towards. I do believe that if I knew certain things sooner or heard it, it would've helped me. There are plenty other course reviews so make sure you check them out as well, I feel mine's is a bit more elaborate than most so it should help you.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kM9GyK5uFSNajUMUBxML4asdMvJ5-SRW1HzlKxJMK5g/edit?usp=sharing

I will be taking Phys/Math/Comp courses this year and I am sure that I will take more comp courses over the other 3 years among with Math/Stats and/or Phys.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

lolcti

HSC
N/A
Does this still exist cause I can't access it, if not can I just know how hard the math in comp science is and is it competitive. Also is comp science at UNSW male dominant?

lolcti

HSC
N/A
For computer science there are three math courses you are required to take: MATH1131, MATH1231, and MATH1081. If you have done MX1/MX2, it'll be a sort of extension of it and you'll find the courses straightforward. If this is not the case, then I would recommend you take a bridging course of sorts or put greater effort into the course (ie by starting earlier, revising more regularly, doing homework) as you might find it a bit of a step up.

In terms of the cohort, I'd say there's around 70-80% males so yeah it is quite male-dominant, but I presume that's how it is for STEM-related courses across most universities.
Okay tysmmmmm !!

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Does this still exist cause I can't access it, if not can I just know how hard the math in comp science is and is it competitive. Also is comp science at UNSW male dominant?
should be easy even if you dont study much, just make sure you get good at 4u for math and should be smooth sailing. for comp, just code lol.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
please post matth reviews i need to plan my 4y by the time i start
complex numbers - new topic but really one you should be good by (literally polynomials, vectors, geometry and so on)
proofs and logic - you'll develop this over time, this is a journey not really a topic
vectors - second easiest topic to learn/master and to make silly mistakes
integration - free marks section
mechanics - messy but easy otherwise

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
ive seen plenty of girls in math/cs/phys, times are changing but it is still heavily male dominated. if you're like me this doesn't matter because you're not interested in travelling 4 hrs a day in hopes to speak to someone in a hall of 400 people.

is it competitive? the most competitive people will be here along in usyd lol but ive never felt like i was outclassed to an extent of shame/worry albeit there will be more knowledgable people, they'll be on your level or lesser or higher give or take if you're decent at maths/cs. Regardless, HD+ should not be a worry due to the skill level.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)