UNSW MBBS Enquiry (1 Viewer)

un 1

HSC
N/A
Before I write my query, i admit to being a total noob in relation to uni stuff and medicine.

I was just wondering,(actually I heard this from a friend), that you can complete the UNSW 6 year MBBS course in 5 years. is this true or what?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Some units can be done in summer school but only 6 credit units and it's just basic theory, so you might have a reduced work load, but the last year is mainly clinical and you have to do certain rotations (inc a 3 month stint in a rural hospital) so i doubt it.

I know one guy who's doing med sci(hons)/MBBS at UNSW, stream that cut a year off though.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yeah but you can do that at Adelaide too..

and Melb will let u do that in 6.5 if u wanted..

Utas let ppl do that in 6 too in the old course

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
LottoX said:
Maybe you're talking about the BSc (Med) Hons program, which lets you cut off half a year of research, however, that is in exchange for a 1 year research project, which would mean that you would undertake the course in 6.5 years.
Technically you should be able to do that in 6 years. I realise that they say 6.5, but I think it works out at 6 if you arrange things the right way.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
LottoX said:
Orsum, now to get a 75+ average and write present a killer proposal.
Are they bumping it up to a 75 average? (It still says 70 average for 2008 honours, though I think I missed one of the honours info nights... so I might be out of the loop. Thank god for my arts honours option!)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
anonymus2003 said:
its 5 years of study and they force u to do one year of research in ur 3rd or 4th year, thats why unsw = 6 years and newcastle etc others only 5 years.
its actualli 0.5 yrs in UNSW.. apparently.. according to like Kfunk ages ago.. but i think that sounds right..

other unis lik Newcastle u do the minimum 0.3 yrs from the AMC.. but then u have options to do honours too..

at Umelb it was 1 full yr... most ppl hate it.. but its for their BMedSc

At Adelaide.. its 9-12 weeks.. i think over 3rd and 4th yr.. intersparse with ure clinical school..but the course is still 6 yrs long.. UWA is different again... they use less time.. and in 3rd yr there is dedicated pathology .. not sure about their research thingy..

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
its actualli 0.5 yrs in UNSW.. apparently.. according to like Kfunk ages ago.. but i think that sounds right...
The amount of work which goes into the research project (ILP --> independent learning project) seems to be highly variable, from first hand reports. Some people do full on research projects where their superviser whips them daily and expects frequent results, others come into uni/hospital occaisionally and do very little, and some people spend all day watching neurosurgery.

The ILP is a bit weird in that it adds up to a credit point load of 24cp (half a year of study), however, it is taken over 3 x 8 week blocks --> so it stretches over 0.75 of a university year. Thus if you have a really intense project it's like doing a full time load for 3/4 of the year. You get out what you make of it really... opportunity exists to negotiate a project in an interest area with academics if you approach them. Also, some of the good quality ILPs get published.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
LottoX said:
Published, eh...?
thats where u submit it to a journal :p

couple of my high school mates at UNSW got theirs done..
others are like its 6 month holiday..

its the same at all unis.. i know that even in lik the 0.3 yrs one... u can be crazy enough to get ure work published ;)

sladehk

le random
HSC
Come to UWS finish it in 5 years
if you want you can do the optional research year that the others unis force you to do and you will have a 6yr course instead =P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)