UNSW med application form (1 Viewer)

janishe

HSC
Hi,

Just wondering what sorts of things people wrote on their application forms for med (UNSW)- the personal motivation section in particular- what made you guys want to study med @ UNSW?

I'm trying to fill out the form now and I'm looking for some tips.

doink

Clone
HSC
Just be truthful, those questions are used for the interview and not for selection of people to attend interviews.

cccclaire

HSC
yeh, don't try too hard on the form, coz if you sound too fake they'll be able to tell.

The hardest question for me was 'what are your two least favourite subjects' because truthfully, its english and chemistry, but writing chemistry didn't really seem like a good idea on a medicine application, so I wrote economics, but I actually like economics.

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
Be mindful, however, that the answers to those questions will be used, to some degree, to determine the path of your interview should you get one (as doink has mentioned).

To a large extent, the questions that interviewees are subjected to are very similar across the board but there are little interesting bits of information that the interviewers will pick up on from your application form. For example, I remember being specifically asked about the language I mentioned that I spoke at home as well as hockey, which I'd mentioned that I play.

So, yes, definitely believe your answers and write down the truth or at least re-read your application form prior to your interview so you can remember your bluffs (I cannot condone this however).

Legal Hustle

HSC
Do you think the'yll take into consideration the UAI estimate much?, I got a pretty bad one[bad for med]...

doink

Clone
HSC
They do for first round interviews, if your uai exceeds your estimate you can get an invite to the second round.

angelasunda

HSC
hey guys...i'm a current year 12 student and i would really like to study medicine at UNSW..due to family circumstances..i was unable to submit my application form by the 25th of July..is there any way i can still apply? i know, i'm the biggest idiot around! but please..if anyone could help me on this..i would very much appreciate it!
cheeers..thanks soo much guys!

cccclaire

HSC
i dunno, they might be pretty strict about it.

On the site where you download the form though theres a number, you'd probably be best to ring it and explain your situation and ask if you can.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
angelasunda said:
hey guys...i'm a current year 12 student and i would really like to study medicine at UNSW..due to family circumstances..i was unable to submit my application form by the 25th of July..is there any way i can still apply? i know, i'm the biggest idiot around! but please..if anyone could help me on this..i would very much appreciate it!
cheeers..thanks soo much guys!
It's way too late now unless you contacted them straight away nonetheless contact them asap, you can still apply for other universities though.

If you need any other help please PM me.

Last edited:

angelasunda

HSC
Wooz said:
It's way too late now unless you contacted them straight away nonetheless contact them asap, you can still apply for other universities though.

If you need any other help please PM me.
hey, um i couldnt contact them through phone,so i sent them an email. in the response that i received they adviced me that late applications may still be submitted so long as they are before 31st October. However, they also said that my application wont be considered for the main rounds..but for the smaller late rounds in early Jan 2009...do you think i have much of a chance of getting an interview..or my application being considered?

oh and also, sorry to be a pain, i live in Melb..i am applying all over australia..but i'm not quite sure what score i am supposed to get in the UMAT for UNSW...do you have any idea?

Thanks soo much!..i'm soo annoyed with myself!

bubbly89

HSC
angelasunda said:
hey, um i couldnt contact them through phone,so i sent them an email. in the response that i received they adviced me that late applications may still be submitted so long as they are before 31st October. However, they also said that my application wont be considered for the main rounds..but for the smaller late rounds in early Jan 2009...do you think i have much of a chance of getting an interview..or my application being considered?

oh and also, sorry to be a pain, i live in Melb..i am applying all over australia..but i'm not quite sure what score i am supposed to get in the UMAT for UNSW...do you have any idea?

Thanks soo much!..i'm soo annoyed with myself!
You have just as much chance as anyone, being a candidate in the late round does you no disadvantage whatsoever. I had my interview in the late round and a number of my friends did too, and evidently we all got in.

For UNSW, the UMAT score you need varies with your UAI

Here is a table where they give you the UMAT score you need to obtain an interview with whatever UAI you have.
http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/page/FAQ_local#Interview

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)