UNSW Med 'required' UAI/ATAR (1 Viewer)

Danmiff

HSC
hey

i read somewhere (think it was the UNSW website) that the minimum required ATAR was 95.00, but the median was 99.60

so it stands to reason not many people with lower-end ATARs (i.e. 95's) get in

so has anyone heard of someone with 95.00 or thereabouts getting a place? and if not, whats the lowest sort of ATAR that the uni generally accepts?

nb, i realise you gotta have a pretty good interview and UMAT to get offered an interview in the first place.

cheers boys n girls :D

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
hey

i read somewhere (think it was the UNSW website) that the minimum required ATAR was 95.00, but the median was 99.60

so has anyone heard of someone with 95.00 or thereabouts getting a place? and if not, whats the lowest sort of ATAR that the uni generally accepts?

nb, i realise you gotta have a pretty good interview and UMAT to get offered an interview in the first place.

The following is somewhat anecdotal but it fits with the statistics:

Yes, people with 'lower' ATARs receive offers but (1) not many and (2) those that do receive offers usually satisfy some special entry criteria, e.g. rural or indigenous entry schemes. For normal entry there is a modest number of students in the 98 - 99 range (I can't recall any CSP students with 97-98... though there could well be a couple) but they will generally have an exceptional UMAT score and or interview.

In short, the vast majority of students are in the 99+ range, with a large number of special entry students in the 95+ range (plenty of rural students, making up ~20% of intake, get in with 96, 97, etc) and a small number of CSP students in the 98ish range with solid UMAT/interview combinations.

Schoey93

HSC
hey

I'm sure that some people with an ATAR of 95.00 will, and do, get in to UNSW medicine/surgery. I do know that if you are from Greater Western Sydney, you can get into UWS's Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery with an ATAR of 93.00, and I read about a boy who go in with a UAI (2008) of about 94.75 in the UWS Medicine Course Brochure. It doesn't really matter where you go to study medicine, as long as you don't get your degree from a third world country. All Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery degrees in Australia require a significant amount of practical experience to be undertaken during your time at university... UNSW would not have much more practical experience in its course than UWS would. If you're set on UNSW and your UMAT was good (maybe 71+ raw), you should get an interview with an ATAR of 95.00... if they like you then you'll get in to the course!

Jackie.bored

HSC
If you're set on UNSW and your UMAT was good (maybe 71+ raw), you should get an interview with an ATAR of 95.00... if they like you then you'll get in to the course!
71 Raw UMAT = 100th percentile which is not all that easy to get.

itsnotmine

HSC
N/A
Indeed, one of my friends got 67 which was 99th %'tile, I'd be surprised if even the top ranks got 71.
the top applicant to UTAS had 237=79

i'd imagine there would be quite a few people who got higher

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Look at it this way guys, you really need a 98-99 to be competitive at UNSW unless either you are rural or get a crazy UMAT. It is possible with a 96-97, but as the data shows it is a very small chance.
its not about chance its just that GENERALLY those who have high ATARs also have high UMAT scores. its not always the case but there is certainly a correlation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)