unsw med timetable (1 Viewer)

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
hey,
could any1 who is in 2nd year med @ unsw plz post up their timetable for last year?...i knoe it changes every week, but i'd just like an idea of how much the workload is..
also, is it true that in unsw med, if u fail 1 subject (eg. pharmacology) then u hav 2 repeat the whole year? :confused:

thx in advance

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
Typical week is about 20 hours contact time ~8 lectures, 2 x 2hr scenario sessions, 1 x 2hr clinical (or communication) tutorial, 2-3 x 2hr practicals. However, the workload is really what you make of it: some people do next to nothing, in terms of extra study and revision, others go all out with notes, revision and further reading for assignments. it's personal preference.

new course med doesn't have subjects per se; not the way that the rest of the uni does (you will have noticed this when you enrolled maybe). the year is divided into 4 x 8-week blocks, to a total of 9 such blocks over the first 2 and a bit years (this is lumped together and called Phase 1). the first one is foundations and is more or less there to get you used to the way the course works, and isn't assessible (not that you shouldn't try to do well). the other 8 blocks are divided into 2 cycles - eg last year was cycle B blocks, this year is cycle A blocks. if you fail an end of block exam, you have to do a resit in the next summer break. if you fail 2 or more exams in a cycle, you need to repeat that cycle before you can do the end of Phase 1 exams. hope that all makes sense, it will be explained to you again by the faculty.

pravski

HSC
mervvyn said:
Typical week is about 20 hours contact time
According to UNSW handbook, foundations and society health are both 15 hours per week, which adds up to 30...maybe they dont run simulataneously?

And do these hours include clinicals?

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
i'm just going on what happened to me last year, the faculty isn't famous for it's accuracy. they're not simultaneous; they're blocks of 8 weeks each, foundatons followed by S+H. perhaps they've changed the average hours per week since last year... who knows? any figure would include clinical i would imagine

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
haha... I was jus gonna write the faculty isn't exactly known for its accuracy and I realise it's been said already... (ok fine I thought it was amusing).

You'll get your timetables a week or so before uni starts.

Chillax... The faculty practically holds your hand for the first eight weeks, then gives you a baby walker for the rest of the year.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm... who's shunting all these UNSW med specific threads in here?

Oh well, I guess it's useful for the hopefuls to see what's in the bag.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm... who's shunting all these UNSW med specific threads in here?

Oh well, I guess it's useful for the hopefuls to see what's in the bag.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)