UNSW medicine entry question (1 Viewer)

jess997

HSC
N/A
hey guys so I want to try out for unsw medicine and I came across something I wasn't too sure of. Here's the link http://med.unsw.edu.au/printpdf/302000428

"Thus if a local applicant has a ATAR of less than 93.00,
their tertiary results can never be sufficient to raise their academic results to the equivalent
of the minimum ATAR of 96.00 required for consideration for entry. On the other hand, an
applicant who scores a ATAR of around 98 would need to achieve results of high
distinctions in some courses and distinctions in the rest in order to maintain the equivalent
ATAR
."

I only just made the atar threshold with a 97 but my problem is that I think I might get a credit in one of my units. If I end up with something like 2 HDs, 1 D and 1 credit, would I still have a chance? Assuming a low to mid 90s score in umat? Because it's a 50:50:50 ratio for high school results, umat and uni marks. Thanks in advance :)

bangladesh

HSC
Not to crush your dreams, but unless you get a GPA of 7, I think it'll be unlikely you get an interview offer even with a umat of 100.

jess997

HSC
N/A
Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated :)
That's okay amirbang, I need to face reality and know what I can possibly get. :(
But if I apply for UNSW bonded would there be a better chance?

bangladesh

HSC
Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated :)
That's okay amirbang, I need to face reality and know what I can possibly get. :(
But if I apply for UNSW bonded would there be a better chance?
not really. bonded/unbonded is determined after interview. You need to get an interview first

yangsta999

HSC
Uni Grad
OP, don't lose all hope! I think amir's post is a bit harsh. You scored an ATAR of 97, and if you manage to get 2 HD, 1 D and 1 C, that is a GPA of 6.25 (using HD=7, D=6, C=5 correct me if I'm wrong). Now, I remembered that a GPA of 7 was equivalent to an ATAR of 99.5 for UNSW's official GPA/ATAR conversion from late last year but I couldn't find that table. Instead, I dug up an old post from medstudentsonline. According to post #3 from http://medstudentsonline.com.au/forum/threads/wam-gpa-atar.9922/, a GPA of 6.25 would be equivalent to 98 ATAR which would bump your actual ATAR up to 97.5. You only need a GPA of 5.5-5.75 to maintain your current 97 ATAR too!

2cxexxc.jpg

With this UNSW ATAR/UMAT conversion table above, you would require an aggregate UMAT score of between 189-198 which equates to 96-98th percentiles based on the 2014 distribution. Since you were assuming a UMAT percentile in the low-mid 90th percentiles, if this was your actual results last year, there is no reason why you cannot achieve higher especially on your second sitting!

But bear in mind the two resources used were from around 2010, so perhaps the standards are slightly higher now with the increased competition. All the best :)

Medman

HSC
OP, don't lose all hope! I think amir's post is a bit harsh. You scored an ATAR of 97, and if you manage to get 2 HD, 1 D and 1 C, that is a GPA of 6.25 (using HD=7, D=6, C=5 correct me if I'm wrong). Now, I remembered that a GPA of 7 was equivalent to an ATAR of 99.5 for UNSW's official GPA/ATAR conversion from late last year but I couldn't find that table. Instead, I dug up an old post from medstudentsonline. According to post #3 from http://medstudentsonline.com.au/forum/threads/wam-gpa-atar.9922/, a GPA of 6.25 would be equivalent to 98 ATAR which would bump your actual ATAR up to 97.5. You only need a GPA of 5.5-5.75 to maintain your current 97 ATAR too!

View attachment 32162

With this UNSW ATAR/UMAT conversion table above, you would require an aggregate UMAT score of between 189-198 which equates to 96-98th percentiles based on the 2014 distribution. Since you were assuming a UMAT percentile in the low-mid 90th percentiles, if this was your actual results last year, there is no reason why you cannot achieve higher especially on your second sitting!

But bear in mind the two resources used were from around 2010, so perhaps the standards are slightly higher now with the increased competition. All the best :)
^Agreed with above post. Amirbang didn't do his research so his info is definitely wrong. Although you may get an interview offer with that as a bare minimum you won't get an offer unless you ace your interview if your score is that low.

bangladesh

HSC
^Agreed with above post. Amirbang didn't do his research so his info is definitely wrong. Although you may get an interview offer with that as a bare minimum you won't get an offer unless you ace your interview if your score is that low.
LOOOL I am speaking from my own experience last year.. I had a 98.1 atar and hd/d's for uni marks as well as a 91%ile umat and didn't even score an interview. I also know of people with 99 Atars and a HD average who also didn't get interviews with 90+ umats.. Don't say I haven't done my research. I simply used last year as an example.

Medman

HSC
LOOOL I am speaking from my own experience last year.. I had a 98.1 atar and hd/d's for uni marks as well as a 91%ile umat and didn't even score an interview. I also know of people with 99 Atars and a HD average who also didn't get interviews with 90+ umats.. Don't say I haven't done my research. I simply used last year as an example.
I actually know of a few people with 99+ ATARS and a HD average getting interviews for UNSW. They actually all got interview offers even though I was not expecting it albeit some were second round. It is definitely possible but the competition is much higher as I would assume UNSW regulates the number of non-standard entry students so the requirements would be higher compared to standard applicants. UWS doesn't seem to mind with mature age students. I personally think OP has a better shot at UWS.

With the scores you listed above I would not be expecting an interview offer unless you absolutely kill UMAT i.e 100% percentile.

Last edited:

bangladesh

HSC
I actually know of a few people with 99+ ATARS and a HD average getting interviews for UNSW. They actually all got interview offers even though I was not expecting it albeit some were second round. It is definitely possible but the competition is much higher as I would assume UNSW regulates the number of non-standard entry students so the requirements would be higher compared to standard applicants. UWS doesn't seem to mind with mature age students. I personally think OP has a better shot at UWS.

With the scores you listed above I would not be expecting an interview offer unless you absolutely kill UMAT i.e 100% percentile.
No one is talking about UWS here. You said that I'm talking out of my arse and I addressed that I'm not and I based my comment on last year. I still believe that unless OP gets a gpa of 7/7, He will not get an interview regardless of his umat.

Medman

HSC
No one is talking about UWS here. You said that I'm talking out of my arse and I addressed that I'm not and I based my comment on last year. I still believe that unless OP gets a gpa of 7/7, He will not get an interview regardless of his umat.
Fair enough. Someone is a bit sensitive. I do think if you get a 99.5+ ATAR, HD average and a high UMAT (95+) you might get an interview for UNSW.
Given that HD average counts as 99.5 average ATAR having a 99 and 99.5 ATAR is a huge difference. Also 90 and 95 UMAT percentile scores comparatively have a huge discrepancy. Unless your friends got 99.5+ ATARs and 95+ UMAT I would not be surprised that they did not get an interview offer.

Everything is based on heresay anyway.

Last edited:

bangladesh

HSC
Fair enough. Someone is a bit sensitive. I do think if you get a 99.5+ ATAR, HD average and a high UMAT (95+) you might get an interview for UNSW.
Given that HD average counts as 99.5 average ATAR having a 99 and 99.5 ATAR is a huge difference. Also 90 and 95 UMAT percentile scores comparatively have a huge discrepancy. Unless your friends got 99.5+ ATARs and 95+ UMAT I would not be surprised that they did not get an interview offer.

Everything is based on heresay anyway.
lol I'm not sensitive at all. You just make statements such as:
' Amirbang didn't do his research so his info is definitely wrong.'
And then when I respond to it you call me sensitive lol

I was simply showing you that you were wrong and I was not 'Definitely wrong' lol

Medman

HSC
lol I'm not sensitive at all. You just make statements such as:
' Amirbang didn't do his research so his info is definitely wrong.'
And then when I respond to it you call me sensitive lol

I was simply showing you that you were wrong and I was not 'Definitely wrong' lol
Ok sorry I am wrong but it was based on students I've mentored but they did seem to have done well in their ATAR and UMAT exams. Let's just agree on UNSW is hard to get in even with good marks. Yeh I think OP doesn't have a great shot at UNSW.

legend12345

HSC
if my atar was 94 wat uni results would i need to make the cut... all HDs in uni? Also if I was to get rlly high HDs would that increase your chances or is their selection based on how many HDs you get

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
if my atar was 94 wat uni results would i need to make the cut... all HDs in uni? Also if I was to get rlly high HDs would that increase your chances or is their selection based on how many HDs you get
You don't have a chance at unsw

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)