• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UNSW open day (1 Viewer)

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Pretty boring. The standout of the day was the Law building - lecture room was stunning and the window of the outside.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Compare to usyd, unsw is an Asian university. This was my first impression when walking in.
The place was easy to navigate around but getting there was hard. The free shuttle bus is...z
Usyd was filled with mainly Asians as well.

Gigacube

HSC
More confused, by receiving more biased opinions on courses, particularly the comp sci versus I.T factor. And whether it's good or not to go to a prestigious uni just for the sake of it. Pisses me off, cause all that really does is bring back to square one again.

So far for the open days I have been to I would say this from my experience:

UTS > UNSW > USYD
I agree with your order although for me it's more like:
UTS > UNSW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> USYD
The IT students at UTS & UNSW seemed a lot happier to me & they were a lot more helpful.

Naa, friend went though and he said the CompSci lecturer was pretty awesome
I think it was Richard Buckland. It was great even though I missed the first 10 mins of it. He knew what he was talking about & was able to keep the attention of the audience.

got some good info there :D
place was huge too and those dam stairs....
I thought USYD was a lot bigger. I quite enjoyed the stairs. xD

Overall I thought UNSW was a lot more organised & friendly compared to USYD. I got a lot more information at UNSW too & the social side seems a lot better. I also thought that it was really easy to find your way around the campus & the free BBQ was great & they gave free soft drink cans. :D I thought that was quite generous.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I think it was Richard Buckland. It was great even though I missed the first 10 mins of it. He knew what he was talking about & was able to keep the attention of the audience.

Overall I thought UNSW was a lot more organised & friendly compared to USYD. I got a lot more information at UNSW too & the social side seems a lot better. I also thought that it was really easy to find your way around the campus & the free BBQ was great & they gave free soft drink cans. :D I thought that was quite generous.
Yes it was Richard, he knows how to talk to a large crowd. he knows his stuff but he doesn't boast about it, he relates to everyday examples everyone can understand for themselves. I like it.

USyd is bigger, but honestly who the fuck wants a bigger uni? So you can walk 1 km to get to ur friend's lunch place? -.- Usyd so fucking big they prob don't even manage or know half the buildings themselves since it's so old.

A smaller uni managed efficiently will always be better than a poorly managed large uni. I even heard from other students that Usyd was hard to navigate, no welcoming help was providing at the entrance.

Oh there was a free BBQ :( must of eaten too early then.

Gigacube

HSC
Yes it was Richard, he knows how to talk to a large crowd. he knows his stuff but he doesn't boast about it, he relates to everyday examples everyone can understand for themselves. I like it.

USyd is bigger, but honestly who the fuck wants a bigger uni? So you can walk 1 km to get to ur friend's lunch place? -.- Usyd so fucking big they prob don't even manage or know half the buildings themselves since it's so old.

A smaller uni managed efficiently will always be better than a poorly managed large uni. I even heard from other students that Usyd was hard to navigate, no welcoming help was providing at the entrance.

Oh there was a free BBQ :( must of eaten too early then.
When I went to the campus with IT & Engineering there wasn't much help with trying to find my way to where the lectures were. The IT building is on the edge of the campus & it feels so cut off from everything. :(

I like that UTS & UNSW are smaller unis.

Not many people knew about the free BBQ. It was in the John Lions Garden, outside the CSE building. The lines were so short too! I waited in the line for 2 mins & still managed to get a table to eat at.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Richard's the best ^_^ I wish I knew you guys were coming, would've been able to see who you actually were.

BTW CSE has free BBQ's every week (drinks aren't usually free though). As you might've seen, the CSE community is quite active. =)

I haven't been to the UTS open days before, what's it like?

Gigacube

HSC
Richard's the best ^_^ I wish I knew you guys were coming, would've been able to see who you actually were.

BTW CSE has free BBQ's every week (drinks aren't usually free though). As you might've seen, the CSE community is quite active. =)

Stalker...loljks Pwoh, you're one of the non-creepy BOSers. :p

Richard's lecture was the best one I've been to so far. I like the CSE Beta publications were a nice read & the crosswords were fun too. :)

I haven't been to a UTS Open Day lecture but I've been there for other IT/Engineering related events.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I agree with your order although for me it's more like:
UTS > UNSW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> USYD
The IT students at UTS & UNSW seemed a lot happier to me & they were a lot more helpful.

There was a free BBQ?

We were advertising it all week here...

How could you not know there was a meet up? =(

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)