UNSW Optometry (1 Viewer)

M99952011

HSC
Hoping to get some opinions here...

I am hopeful for a chance in B Optometry/B Science at UNSW and I have also received the AAA scholarship this year. I ended up with an ATAR of 95+ so that doesn't worry me too much but I didn't do too well for my UMAT (I only managed 56 percentile/156/52 raw). Is my UMAT too low to be considered as meeting their "additional selection criteria" or do I still have a chance?

Thanks in advance for any help/opinions/advice. :)

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I think 56th percentile is a bit low unfortunately. You'll be competing against other people with fairly high atars (ie: 98.50+) and most likely much higher UMAT scores.

You never know though!

M99952011

HSC
But won't the AAA scholarship change things? 5 bonus points (i.e my atar is then considered as 99.95) and a "guaranteed" spot in any course, except Med, as long as I meet additional criteria (UMAT). I'm just not sure what UMAT would be considered as acceptable. :s

Maoky

HSC
But you gotta remember that other people will get boosts too. Pretty much most of my grade (I'm a current optom student) had ATAR boosts too. With an ATAR of mid 90s, you'd need probably 60-70 UMAT, maybe higher because they'll most likely be more strict now with requirements. You can still try to get in straight away, or go for the transfer program via advanced science (vision science major) , retake UMAT (highly advised), and also maintain a decent WAM.

I did it this way and it was actually easier because we get some bludgey courses that boost our WAM in 1st year, unlike the people who get into Optom straight away. In 2nd year you'll all merge (assuming you get in), so you're still in the same year as everyone else.

Last edited:

M99952011

HSC
Ohh, I see. Hahah, woww so many got ATAR boosts in your year! So much of taking Optom out of the HSC Plus scheme - students still get bonus points somehow.
Anyway, thanks for your help! I'll look into the alternative pathways.

rawrence

HSC
Just a question while this topic is mildly alive.

I got an ATAR of 98.50 which is all good news, but my UMAT was terrible. 49 raw (as they have told me, they don't look at percentiles and when they give a "minimum" they are referring to the raw). Kiss my chances of optometry goodbye?

Cheers lads

HSC
Uni Grad
Just a question while this topic is mildly alive.

I got an ATAR of 98.50 which is all good news, but my UMAT was terrible. 49 raw (as they have told me, they don't look at percentiles and when they give a "minimum" they are referring to the raw). Kiss my chances of optometry goodbye?

Cheers lads
you never know what will happen. If not, just do a vision science major as part of B Science.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Nah, just curious :p I want to get into Law with AAA

M99952011

HSC
Oh, I see! Hahah, Law seems to be the popular option with AAA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)