UNSW or USYD Law? (Question upgraded) (1 Viewer)

theMoment

HSC
I was going through something similar, except my decision was between combined law/ commerce at USYD (entry scholarship $6000) or UTS Co-Op for accounting ($43000 over 3 yrs). I'm just going to give you the best piece of advice that my friend's dad gave me: What's a few thousand dollars now, when in 30 yrs time, you'll be on a 100k salary. Don't every make a decision based on money, because if you do something you love, the money will come. Personally, USYD has the better law program. That's what they're renowned for. And yes, the ASB is the no. 1 business school in NSW, but to be honest you're better of doing combined laws at USYD. But that's just my personal opinion.
More like Australia..

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Now, $6000 is alot and will help you alot - I would assume. USYD is more prestigous for Law than UNSW and from what I've heard, most people that graduate from USYD are able to obtain a job.

Considering USYD is probably "better" for Law and you get the extra $6000pa, I would take USYD.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
Now, $6000 is alot and will help you alot - I would assume. USYD is more prestigous for Law than UNSW and from what I've heard, most people that graduate from USYD are able to obtain a job.

Considering USYD is probably "better" for Law and you get the extra $6000pa, I would take USYD.
That's more or less correlation rather than causation though.

izzy88

HSC

from anecdotal evidence of law clerkships and graduates at law firms, usyd and unsw students are even in numbers in terms of getting clerkships (and subsequent job offers). As I said earlier, I don't think there is any difference in how employers look at usyd vs unsw law students. In my opinion, they are so similar, that it isn't a factor that needs to be taken into consideration in choosing between them.

candylollypop

HSC
Doesn't mean that UNSW offers the best uni experience for them however. Some people have really enjoyed USYD, others have enjoyed UNSW a lot too.

But even then, for a law degree, $6,000 is not that much compared with what you will have to end up paying anyway.

Also, to the OP: what sort of person are you? are you a practical sort of person, then, go to UNSW to do law. If you're more theoretical, then head to USYD law (USYD law tends to be more theoretical than UNSW). Also, what field do you want to work in? Do you want to work in the commerce related fields? or do you want to work in only law?
I was more looking forward to the UNSW campus life...It looks less serious than USYD somehow..Also, my brother goes there, and my best friend's gonna do commerce there next year.
However, it takes longer to get to than USYD...it'll be approx. one hour extra travelling time per day.

But UNSW has just offered me a one-year $6000 scholarship.
INTERNAL CONFLICT!!
well my dad thinks usyd...he's into international rankings and that sort of shiz. On that note, I'm applying for the top 3 US colleges as well...

decisions decisions...

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
I was more looking forward to the UNSW campus life...It looks less serious than USYD somehow..Also, my brother goes there, and my best friend's gonna do commerce there next year.
However, it takes longer to get to than USYD...it'll be approx. one hour extra travelling time per day.

But UNSW has just offered me a one-year $6000 scholarship.
INTERNAL CONFLICT!!
well my dad thinks usyd...he's into international rankings and that sort of shiz. On that note, I'm applying for the top 3 US colleges as well...

decisions decisions...
Ignore the rankings. They are based on research output so they aren't really an accurate measure. Of course, more research could mean better academics thus better teachers but there are an incredible amount of variables which can also affect teaching, that they become a useless measure.

Just go wherever you think you will enjoy your university years. I'm already half way through my degree and can't believe it has gone by so fast. Make a time to remember.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Ignore the rankings. They are based on research output so they aren't really an accurate measure. Of course, more research could mean better academics thus better teachers but there are an incredible amount of variables which can also affect teaching, that they become a useless measure.

Just go wherever you think you will enjoy your university years. I'm already half way through my degree and can't believe it has gone by so fast. Make a time to remember.
This.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)