UNSW ProgComp 2005 (1 Viewer)

sunny

meh.
HSC
Know someone in high school who can program a bit?

The registrations for the 2005 UNSW High School Prog Comp are now open at:
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/progcomp

This years format will follow the same as last years, with the main round being held in schools on Friday 24th June at 2~4pm EST.

A broader range of questions will be introduced to encourage more junior teams.

Registrations close May 27th.

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
sunny
I had to laugh at the newsletter that was sent to schools with that competition - the photos did nothing to alter the concept that programmers are geeks
am sure if I looked closely they all had matching plastic pen holders in their top pockets

;)

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
I don't get it. The winners are school names not their actual name. So we're meant to program with our mates or something?
Uniform

School uniform may be worn with the agreement of the school.
That's it not coming.

sunny

meh.
HSC
AntiHyper said:
I don't get it. The winners are school names not their actual name. So we're meant to program with our mates or something?
Yes you program in teams. If you try the problems, you will find that having team mates is almost a necessity in solving these problems. They are not regular write a program problems - they are problem solving problems.

AntiHyper said:
That's it not coming.
Most people don't wear school uniform in the final rounds. The open rounds are held in your school anyway.

aaaman

Banned
HSC
sunny said:
Yes you program in teams. If you try the problems, you will find that having team mates is almost a necessity in solving these problems. They are not regular write a program problems - they are problem solving problems.

Most people don't wear school uniform in the final rounds. The open rounds are held in your school anyway.

im gonna go 4 it, winner get a enginnering coarse of their choice n 3000 bucks, like who doesnt want that

PoP 'n' Fresh

Poke me! I giggle!
HSC
Its not too easy... isnt it in groups of 3?
ahhh there were about 7 groups in my school... my group (well me more like it) was the only one to solve even one problem out of 5 =p

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Only one other bloke at my school can programme. Oh well, I'll still have a go, I guess.

Ghost1788

HSC
yea same as me very few ie 1-3 ppl out of 28 actually possess the reasoning and logic understanding to program in my class, so annoying wat good is 2 not a team a team is 4... the sample q isnt too hard is it....

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
aaaman said:
im gonna go 4 it, winner get a enginnering coarse of their choice n 3000 bucks, like who doesnt want that
You misread it, the winner gets 3K, and if they then enrol in a degree within the CSE school at UNSW they get another 3K.

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
Did last years competition. Our school came 19th and 20th haha. We sucked bad / only knew a tiny bit of programming :).
The poblems were rather lame and it seemed to me like the competition was badly organised.

I might give it another go this year though seen as my programming had improved.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Went to watch it last year because my friend was competing. Quite interesting to see everyone else get 5 or 10 and TrogDor bring it home with 30.

I believe none of the 3 winners from last year went to UNSW.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Templar said:
I believe none of the 3 winners from last year went to UNSW.
Because winning teams from the last two years were both interstate :)

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
lol if you haven't known, I'm running first overall for assessments so far and every1 else is way below me.. like in the figures of 15-20 percent lower.
*thinks*
Hmm if I applied for this competition, theres a good chance I'll be doing all the work. Besides I really hate the other guy who can sorta understand how to program in my class, so there wont be any real "team work"
aaaman said:
*wants the free entry to engineering so bad...*

sunny

meh.
HSC
AntiHyper said:
Hmm if I applied for this competition, theres a good chance I'll be doing all the work. Besides I really hate the other guy who can sorta understand how to program in my class, so there wont be any real "team work"
Welcome to real world team work :)

This programming competition really does give you a good insight into what more "real" programming and problem solving are like. Team work is essential to get through these problems not only just to get through them, but also helps develop the skills you'll need at uni and work :)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
All you guys that signed up: what languages are you all doing? Had i known about this comp when i did SDD i probably wouldve been forced to do VB as no one else in my class knows C++ (and for that matter almost all didnt know VB either)

sunny

meh.
HSC
PoP 'n' Fresh said:
Its not too easy... isnt it in groups of 3?
ahhh there were about 7 groups in my school... my group (well me more like it) was the only one to solve even one problem out of 5 =p
Comments from older years was that the questions were too hard, and people had the impression they had failed miserably when they only got one or two questions out in the entire competition (even though it was probably pretty normal)

This year its been made so that 50% is quite achievable :)

HSC
i would enter but i'd probably get my ass handed to me, so im in the web design comp, and my schools offering me a few hundred dollars to make some flash ancient/modern history website :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)