UNSW Second Round offers (1 Viewer)

kathjs

HSC
Well, after spending all morning on the phone trying to organise accomodation in newcastle, today i got a phone call from Gordon Rees, offering me my very own place in UNSW med. Which has just totally screwed with my head.

I live in sydney, like 5 mins walk from UNSW, so from convenience point, thats the way to go. Its also financially much better for my parents.

But I was really looking forward to moving out, and having lots of independence, and all that. And I like newcastle uni. And the course is shorter, and I'm not gonna be bottom of the class, whereas at unsw, i probably will be, which is scary.

And so right now, I have no idea what i should do. I'll have to big discussion about it with my parents tonight, but has anyone got any sugestions about things I should consider, or advice to give? Thanks.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
don't make any assumptions about how you will go academically until you've done some of a course - it's very different to school and school marks don't necessarily reflect how you'll do in med. uni isn't as competetive as school either - no rankings or whatever, people tend to be less fussed about marks (on the whole; there are exceptions). besides, you got in to both, so you must be quite smart.
as for the rest, it's up to you - course length, content, campus atmosphere, whatever. living that close to uni makes me jealous, but if you want independence and feel you need to move out to have it, then do so. good luck :)

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
congrats on getting an offer to UNSW Medicine.

really, this decision is up 2 u. Both med schools are good. personally, i cant see one med school being better than the other.

the real question is --> do u value the powers of independence over the relative ease of getting to UNSW in 5 mins? what is more important to you? convenience, or independence?

what i can say is this: no matter if u go to newcastle or UNSW, we are sure you will do well.

the decision is ur mate. best of luck and best wishes for ur future medical career!

wah

HSC
N/A
it sounds like you are more confident and believe you are going to be happier at newcastle. if you are so excited about newcastle, it seems like you've made your decision deep down? and i know what you mean by the independence lol. i'd love to move out too :)
if you go to unsw, u won't get independence for the next 6 years lol

but then again, unsw is a good medical school too. good luck with everything :)

kathjs

HSC
Thanks for your help. i do think newcastle would be better for me. My parents are very pro-unsw tho, so i have to rally my arguments and talk to them about it, and hopefully persuade them that newcastle is better for me. I'm going up on saturday to look at houses and at the uni in general now, and hopefully that will help.

I think the independance is more important to me than the convenience - not that i've ever lived anywhere that wasnt convenient, so i may end up screwed. But i really think moving out would be great.

Well, i know what i want, now i've just got to persuade everyone else that its a good idea.

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)