UNSW Subject Reviews. (3 Viewers)

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
COMP 1917: (Higher Computing)
Ease: 9/10
Lecturer(s): 11/10 (Richard)
I've heard so many good things about Bucko. Apparently he even has an appreciation society on Facebook.

Loz_metalhead

HSC
ACCT1501
Ease: 6/10-First semester of uni and I was pretty slack. Didn't keep up with the tute work.
Lecturer: Caitlin Ruddock-not very good at all.
Interest: 7/10
Overall: 7/10

ACCT1511
Ease: 8/10- If you do all the tute work you should be fine.
Interest: 9/10- I really enjoyed this subject
Overall: 9/10

ECON1101
Ease: 9/10- Stegman practically told you what was in the exam via the practice papers.
Lecturer: Stegman
Interest: 8/10
Overall: 8/10

ECON1102
Ease: 7/10
Lecturer: Peter Kriesler-he was alright
Interest: 5/10- My tutor completely turned me off this subject. He had no idea what he was talking about and people would laugh at him during class.
Overall: 6/10

ECON1202
Ease: 6/10- The last few weeks were a bit tough. I only did 2U maths and I found some of the calculus hard in the last lecture.
Lecturer: Simon Angus-by far the best lecturer I have ever had.

ECON1203
Ease: 7/10 -I got a bit behind with the tute work so that made it really hard. Once I caught up it was fine. The past papers provided enough practice for the final.
Interest: 5/10
Overall: 6/10- I found it quite boring. I enjoyed QMA much more than QMB.

FINS1612
Ease: 8/10- Most of it was theory
Lecturer: Kathy Walsh-very good lecturer
Interest: 6.5/10- Some of the material was very dry

FINS1613
Ease: 8/10 -A lot of formulas to remember but it wasn't that hard
Lecturer: Zhian Chen-One word to describe him: Terrible...
Interest: 7/10- It was pretty interesting but the lectures were nearly unbearable.
Overall: 7.5/10

FINS2624
Ease: 7/10 -It has some tricky parts but if you understand everything it's fine
Lecturer: Henry Yip-good lecturer but everyone kept talking in the lectures and he got very pissed off towards the end of session
Interest: 10/10 I found it really interesting
Overall: 9/10- All the small quizzes and assignments were a pain.

ACCT2522
Ease: 6.5/10- I was going fine until the final exam...it was really abstract and different from the past papers. They must have scaled because I ended up with a DN and I thought I failed the final.
Lecturer: Linda and Nicole were great. I found Yee really boring...but she was good.

FINS3616
Ease: 7/10
Lecturer: Kingsley-nearly as bad and Zhian. He practically just read off the lecture slides
Interest: 7/10- It is pretty interesting in parts. There is a mix of calcs and theory.

LEGT1711
Ease: 7.5/10
Lecturer: Janet Austin!!! Very VERY boring. I skipped nearly all the lectures and ended up listening to the recordings
Interest: 4/10 Crime and property were interesting. The textbook was not good...
Overall: 5/10

Last edited:

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Weird, lol no MICR or BIOC or BIOT based courses in any of the reviews! :(

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
FREN2101
Ease: 9/10 - Did french beginners for HSC but had a really really good teacher so our standard was quite high. Wasn't too difficult.
Lecturer(s): 6.5/10 - Very very funny man (Hughues). His lecturing isn't as great as his humour though, but still okayish... Michele as a tutor was excellent - she was very harsh and strict but funny sometimes too.
Interest: 8/10 - Interesting, fun, french. Learning languages at uni is very different to high school - much higher emphasis on grammar.

FREN2102
Ease: 8.5/10 - see above. It is a continuation of French 2A.
Lecturer(s): 6.5/10 - see above.
Interest: 8/10 - see above.

FREN3101
Ease: 8.5/10 - much harder than level 2 french. More complicated grammatical concepts and the like. Assessments are so much harder and frequent. Finals were an absolute killer.
Lecturer(s): 8.5/10 - alexis know her stuff very well. as too also valerie, who is also sooo nice.
Interest: 8/10 - see above.
Overall: 8.5/10

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Rekkusu said:
Weird, lol no MICR or BIOC or BIOT based courses in any of the reviews! :(

*waits for Rekkusu to submit his reviews*
:D

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
ENGG1000

Ease: 7/10 - pretty awesome bludge subject, easy credit but it got a little more intense later because we had to meet the project deadline.

Lecturer(s): 3/10 (Stephen, Nooshin, old man...) - Any of them hardly interested me.

Interest: 6/10 - We made a straw bridge lol how fun and it wasn't too stressful.

Overall: 7/10 - Not bad not bad, a chance to escape from maths a little. Some engineering principles were boring but crucial e.g. impact assessments and report writing?

MATH1131

Ease: 5/10 - The maths was at near 4-unit level, I could cope with that since my attitude towards maths now is different to the HSC back then.
What shits me is the calculus strand was a lot harder to absorb, see below.

Lecturer(s): 10/10 (Pahor) and 4/10 (Blennerhasset) - Pahor is the algebra strand lecturer and is easily the best lecturer for maths ever and everyone loves him. Blennerhasset on the other hand keeps attendance to a smaller class size because of his technique. But we do love the idea of issuing $5 to the lucky person who spots his mistakes.

Interest: 4/10 - The fun new topics to me were all in algebra such as complex numbers and matrices, finally the use of computing is necessary and I can solve huge simultaneous equations using Gaussian elimination.
Basically if it's maths, it's boring.

ENGG1811

Ease: 9/10 - Fortunately computing was my strength.

Lecturer: 4/10 (Whale) and 5/10 (Mahidadia) - Besides showing us mistakes which is good and so on he recites his lecture slides, so can we and that's probably why lecture attendance rates for many people in this class is low. Mahidadia, what you explain will be more interesting if you spoke up louder than you did, please.

Interest: 10/10 - Awesome subject. Good marks and they teach stuff practical in the world of computing in engineering, science and finance.

Overall: 9/10

PHYS1121

Ease: 2/10 - Problem solving is not my strength and physics targets this specifically.

Lecturer(s): 8/10 (Wolfe) and 7/10 (Burton) - Wolfe is very amusing and entertaining when he provides physics demonstrations although his notes are a god damn mess and look like my own personal notes for anything.
Burton on the other hand focuses on basic physical concepts in his lectures and attempts to be on par with Wolfe with his own set of fun physics demonstrations and his lecture notes are much more tidier which is a relief.
Burton is more keen to keep the lecture together, always by requesting silence.

Interest: 6/10 - Physics is fundamental to all sciences and we almost get to simulate god by manipulating a lot of things mathematically. The stuff we learn is old and new (relative to HSC Physics) and the topics were all right (didn't like waves too much or mechanics).

HSC
FINS2643-

ease: 8.6/10 , a lot of volume but wasn't difficult at all.

lecturer: 3.3/10 (Kingsley)- hopeless, just read off lecture notes and was disorganised most of the time.

Interest: 6.8/10 can get pretty boring at times and the textbook is a pain to read.

Overall: 7.5/10. Realtively easy elective in the Finance major, useful subject material that you can apply to everyday life. Good way to boost up you WAM.

Last edited:

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
Hmm, i'm bored so i'll do my other subjects:

MARK1012
Ease: 8/10 - really wishy-washy theory and just logical/boring general stuff. if you can bs* then you'll be fine.
Lecturer(s): 6/10 - is not highly entertaining. persisted to go (first sem of my first yr, felt bad if i didn't) until i couldn't stand it anymore.. that was about the 8th week. she basically repeated the textbook.
Interest: 6.5/10 - average... quite boring though. too theoretical.

ACCT1501
Ease: 4/10 - ummm.. yeah assessments were hell-hard, but that's cos we had caitlin ruddock and she wanted to kill us all ahhh *death* but other than that, reflecting upon it - it was okayish if you kept up with the workload and did your tute hw.
Lecturer(s): 5/10 - liked dianne, not andrew or caitlin - went too fast in my opinion.
Interest: 6/10 - it wasn't overly interesting, but it wasn't boring either.
Overall: 5.5/10

ECON1202 (QMA)
Ease: 9.5/10 - was fine except for the times when they have a lot of new/more difficult content in one lecture and they rush through it.
Lecturer(s): 10/10 - but this is because I had Simon Angus <3 - best lecturer to date - ever. he's gone off to monash apparently so :(
Interest: 9/10 - maths in a business context, what's not too like? lol and matrices were the bomb! however most people dislike matrices...
Overall: 9.5/10

ECON1203 (QMB)
Ease: 4.5/10 - content was very cold and distant, you have all these symbols and shizz - it's very fustrating. not a symbols type person, hated it so much.
Lecturer(s): 4/10 - experienced two... louis was the better of the two... he was actually interested in what he was teaching, however he has a bit of an accent so hard to understand and also the content is immensely boring.. John ablett on the other hand....... one of the crappiest lectures i've ever had. he even tried threatening us to keep us in after the lecture if everyone didn't "stop talking" -.-'
Interest: 1/10 - um hardly any at all for me.......
Overall: 2.5/10

LEGT1711
Ease: 7/10 - if you did your readings and went to tutorials and understood the materials, it was fine-as. took some time to get used to the way legal works though.. it's a different type of thinking/learning in comparison to maths or etc.
Lecturer(s): 9/10 - bruce was magnifique - he was not only able to completely engage every single student but also knew his stuff and was very interesting.
2/10 - Janet however....................................................... i fell asleep in the front row by myself. lesson learnt. monotonous and complete regurgitation of txtbook.
Interest: 8/10 - ended up learning half the content myself due to janet's boring lectures and not going to them. the textbook is hard to read as there is so much and they go around and around in circles. but once you get used to it, it was extremely fascinating as you touch on so many aspects of law.

ACCT1511
Ease: 8/10 - again with accounting in general, if you do your readings, go to lectures and do your tute hw, it's completely fine and everything makes complete sense.
Lecturer(s): 9/10 - leon and peter were fantastic - especially leon, he had such horrific and lame humour it made things highly entertaining. helen was an excellent lecturer too however she was a tad sarcastic which i didn't take a liking to.
Interest: 8.5/10 - loved cash flow statements, that totally did it for me. other than that, most other aspects were very interesting. totally different to acct1501.
Overall: 8.5/10

ACCT2522
Ease: 7.5/10 - the assignment was more difficult in comparison to everything else in the course. other than that, content made sense etc.
Lecturer(s): 8/10 - nicole was awesome, linda has a lot of 'now it's YOUR turn!' examples and Yee was okay...... Yee for consult was fantastic though!
Interest: 8/10 - not bad, made sense and everything connected with each other.

FINS1613
Ease: 4/10 - found it too be quite quite challenging. a lot of complex maths and theory jumbled together - argh.
Lecturer(s): 2.5/10 - the only reason why i persisted on going to lectures was because i knew i'd probs fail otherwise... zian is............................ just as monotonous as janet austin in legal...
Interest: 5/10 - umm certain elements of it were interesting, but other than that not much.
Overall: 4/10

LEGT2721
Ease: 6.5/10 - contracts is much harder, especially promissory estoppel. other than that, it all ends up making sense if you try hard enough to understand it. tpa is quite simple.
Lecturer(s): 6/10 - we had kerry cos the usual lecturer wasn't able to lecture this sem. she was okay, have had better - she wasn't able to make it interesting enough for me to keep attending lectures though. and i didn't like the way that she basically talked about everything that was in the textbook and nothing much more, and she went into too much depth into a lot of cases that wasn't needed.
Interest: 8/10 - as with legt1711, i ended up having to teach myself practically 3/4 of the course from textbook and tute notes from class. somehow this always ends up with me being interested in the content, but definitely not as much during semester...

Last edited:

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
shoxgeneration said:
ACCT1511
Lecturer(s): 9/10 - leon and peter were fantastic - especially leon, he had such horrific and lame humour it made things highly entertaining.
I remember those two from 2006, peter is a very good lecturer and tutor, and leon is quite lol

ECON2206
Ease: 9/10 - I found this super easy, as long as you did the tute work each week (takes like 30min max)
Lecturer: 6.5/10 - Garry really knows what he's talking about. At first I really hated the lecture (and subsequently the subject) but once you got used to the way he talks, it wasn't so bad. I actually started to enjoy the course about 1/2 way through.
Interest: 3/10 - not even close to being an interesting subject, quite dull but still a nice change from word-heavy subjects.
Overall: 7/10 - despite being a super boring subject, i still enjoyed it somewhat

LEGT2721/LEGT2741
Don't do it. Just, no.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
FINS2643
Ease:7/10. most of the time it was'nt difficult but remembering everything in the end was quite difficult. especially for tax and superannuation.
Lecturer: 2/10Kingsley? fucking LOL
Overall:7.5/10

ECON3121
Ease: 7.5/10. just as long as you knew the first half of the course and also followed the tutes, it should be fine.
Lecturer: 1/10. Quan. Friggen WTF! I did not understand his english.
Interest:4/10 not as interesting since the lecturer made it seem shit.
Overall:6/10

PSYC1011
Ease:9/10. you just had to tune in for the first bit of the course.
Lecturer:variety. though most of them are really interesting
Interest:8/10
Overall:8.5/10

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
wrong_turn said:
ECON3121
Ease: 7.5/10. just as long as you knew the first half of the course and also followed the tutes, it should be fine.
Lecturer: 1/10. Quan. Friggen WTF! I did not understand his english.
Interest:4/10 not as interesting since the lecturer made it seem shit.
Overall:6/10
Ease: 5/10 imo - definitely not an easy course
Lecturer: 5.5/10 - I thought Quan wasn't as bad as everyone made him out to be. Usually when I sat near the front I was able to internalise/understand most of what he was trying to convey, but a few times i sat near the back I completely zoned out and was not able to concentrate at all. i dunno, maybe that's just me
Interest: 6.5/10 - I found most of the 2nd half topics to be quite interesting, the 1st half was absolute torture though.
Overall: 6.5/10 - Only take it if you're interested in (slightly) harder econ concepts, a lot of basic maths. If you can handle those you should be fine.

Conspirocy

HSC
ECON 3101
Ease: 7/10 If you went to all the lecturs and went through the problems at home you could generally handle the material. Very maths/problem based, more so than Micro 2. Gernerally the people who pick the micro electives did well at micro2. so if this wasn't you, maybe this subject isn't for you.
Lecturer: 8/10 Arghya Ghosh. Probably one of the best lecturers I have had. But I have liked all my economics lecturers. Did stuff up some content, but took it out of exams.
Biggest dislike: the time spent on voting theory, was interesting but not practical to test, which he did. Also did not like the fact the final was on the whole course, was a pain to study for.
Overall 8.5/10: one of the most useful subjects In economics I have done to date. finished with some solid skills that I can take into the workforce. 12 week session stuffed the subject up somewhat.

FINS 3616
Ease: 6/10 exchange rates are just confusing, you generally make mistakes. I've done fx so many times now in other subjects but they are still a pain.
Lecturer: 4.5/10 - Kingsley - no surprise here. Stopped going to lectures as he would focus on things he was interested in and not even examine them, so there was no benefit. Generally, all materials for the course were from the textbook's instructures manual, including: lecture slides and examinations.
Biggest dislike: An assignment on currency forecasting, where no real techniques were taught in the course. Also the tendancy to test one sentence in the textbook would have been annoying for a lot of people, I was lucky in this regard. I'm sure others were not.
Overall 7/10 : This is a subject you do need, and it is a core subject. It helps to fit in all the pieces together of a finance major. Should definetly leave it until the final year after all the other core subjects are completed.

FINS2624
Ease: 5/10 not because the subject is hard. With effort it is very easy to get on top of the content. However, the testing procedure in this subject, with 65% of your mark based on two multiple choice exams is very hit and miss. You either know it all, or know nothing. So the subject does not reward people for partial knowledge, which is frustrating.
Lecturer 5/10: Yip - often criticised students, which was fair in some cases. But in a 12 week session to suggest that students aren't working is a bit rich. Also the comment after the midsession that "the fact someone got 34/37.5 for the exam indicated the midsession was not hard" is a bit rich when the average was 20. Basic statistics could suggest that result may be an outlier. The lecturer lost my respect when he dropped down to the students level in cases like that.
Overall 7/10: Another subject you need to do, where you do learn some skills. 12 week session stuffed it up again as the interesting bits were breezed over. Was not happy with the assessments for the subject.

flowergrl

HSC
MFAC 1501 (foundations lol)
Ease 9/10- nothing is examinable but it is basically a review of hsc bio plus 'introduction' to all the disciplines of medicine. 'introduction' because they go straight into the meat of it.
Lecturer- 9/10- all lecturers are quite good. high standards...
Interest 10/10- everything was interesting lol. although I fell asleep in some monotonous lectures, if you review their slides, it's pretty interesting.
Overall- 9.5/10- I'd say one of the best courses!! (even if I haven't been to any other.)

MFAC 1503 (BGDA)
Ease- 4/10 - this is the first examinable teaching unit. It is by no means easy. Lots of stuff to memorise and learn out of the 52 lectures, 10 ish pracs and ~15 sgs and tutes. They test u 2 hours on EVERYTHING.
LEcturer- 8/10 - although most lecturERS were the same as foundations (and maintained their standards), i must admit one particular lecturer did not quite meet his foundations standards... although his pracs are very good, his lecture was just all over the place plus his hand waving to demonstrate his lecture only served to confuse us more...
Interest- 9/10 - one below foundations as personally, there were just SOOOOO much stuff covered that it sort of discouraged us. Assignments are good, but since there are 4 options and you pick one, everyone was on different standards of knowledge. If you did a particular assignment, you basically specialised in one area but that meant you had nooo idea on another area.
Overall- 7/10

HSC
FINS2643
Ease: 9/10
Lecturer(s): 7/10 kingsley i cant understand him, but he has nice lecture notes
Interest: 7/10

FINS2624
Ease: 6/10 (never went o lectures)
Lecturer: Yip isn't the best lecturer to hit unsw, i find him rude but nice at times; tells students off for random shit
Interest: 5/10 very boring, but a must do subject

FINS3630
Ease: 8/10
Lecturer: 9/10. Tho is a top lecturer, engages you alot in the work
Interest: 8/10.
Overall: 9/10. good to see how banks work

LEGT2721
Ease: 7/10 a lot of content to remember, but i never went to lectures so i learnt it all in 1-2 weeks
Lecturer: 10/10. Kerry's a great lecturer, goes out of her way to help out and will even mark exam responses via email
Interest: 6/10 - never had an interest for it, but its good t know
Overall: 8/10. its good i liked it

HSC
beentherdunthat said:
FUCKING FAILED QMA
FAILED
FAILED
=[ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Q1) wtf
Q2) Relates to q1 . further wtf
Q3) :uhoh:
Q4) :(
Q5) :( :( :(
q6) :'( :'(

an hour later - Evacuated.
haha qma is fucked, i heard they made this semesters exam more calculus orientated. im glad i got out with my minimum knowledge of general maths

haru

HSC
FINS2624
Ease:5/10 hated the asessment criteria and we didnt get a proper feedback for all the assessments we did.
Lecturer: 3/10 Yip's lecture notes were exactly same as his textbook
Interests: 4/10
Overall: 4/10

FINS3630
Ease: 8/10
Lecturer: 7/10 Tho. although his english is hard to understand but he gave alot of tips to prepare for the midsem/final
Interests: 7/10
Overall: 8/10 Good subject, highly recommended for FINS major ppl

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)