UNSW Subject Reviews. (1 Viewer)

humanitieslover

HSC
ARTS1030- Intro to English

Ease: 8/10
This course is pretty easy if you are a humanities person and enjoy essay writing.. You basically study a range of genres including poetry, drama, novel, short stories. First assessment is an essay worth 20% on poetry which was fairly marked, second essay worth 40% on Beloved, also well marked, and the final consisted of 2 essays with choices between three texts. A very straight forward final exam worth 40% with questions that did not try to trick you, but were extremely fair if you had listened in the final few lectures.

Lecturers: Bill Walker (5/10), Sigi (7/10), Beloved Lecturer (9/10) Endgame (8/10), Lear (8/10), The Boat (6/10)

Slightly annoying that the lectures require attendance.. for the lectures you do miss- everything is recorded + lecture slides posted. 2 x 1 hr lectures per week with rotating lecturers.

Tutor: Bill Walker (4/10). In my personal opinion, I did not enjoy Bill's style of teaching and felt that each tute was ridiculously repetitive and mundane. Others appreciated the repetitiveness so I may be alone!

Interest: 8/10
If you enjoyed English in high school you will most probably enjoy this course. It allows you to stray from the classic HSC model of regurgitating quotes/techniques and encourages you to form your own ideas (and rewards you for having your own opinion!) A pretty easy Distinction if you perform consistently.

Overall: 8/10

ARTS1270: Global History

Ease: 9/10
Holy god, this course was unreal. If you can string together a couple essays and are good with comprehension, you will love this course. The final 'test' if it can be called that is worth only 15% in lecture, and is a 12 question quiz. That was the only aspect I found 'hard' because I didn't attend every lecture.. and some of the questions at times seemed irrelevant or a little obscure. The online quizzes are worth a ridiculous 35% of your grade, and being based on the readings- are a seriously easy HD. Anyone can get full marks in this 'assessment'. All you need to do is Control-F your readings and/or have some sense of comprehension. The essay component in this course was awesome- first essay worth 20% and second worth 30%. Both essays gave you a couple choices for questions and were research essays, so you could write about pretty much anything. A lot of freedom and very fairly marked.

Lecturers: 7/10 From the lectures I attended.. they were pretty average.

Tutor: Sophie Robinson- 9.5/10
An absolutely awesome tutor who was young and relatable and was super chill. Really passionate and made tutes extremely relaxed and something to look forward to. Definitely recommended.

Interest: 8.5/10

Actual course was a little scattered- jumping around different time periods with no real 'thread' linking everything together. The lectures therefore seemed very unrelated as well as the tutes. Redeeming factor was the research essays which gave you so much freedom and therefore sparking interest!

Overall: 8.5/10

LAWS1021: Crime and the Criminal Process

Ease: 6.5/10

This course really depends on your interest in criminal law. The first assessment was a Court Report worth 30%, so a very easy way to score good marks early on- making the final a little less stressful. 10% class participation was awesome, not too much pressure and awarded fairly. 60% final however was quite stressful. The actual exam this year seemed quite intense with the problem question consisting of a lot of components. The essay question was average but just not what I particularly wanted (haha). Timing was stressful and despite being 3 hours long I felt rushed throughout the entire exam. Advice- try hard with court report + CP and make consistent notes for the final that are EASY to navigate.

Lecturer/Tutor: Helen Gibbon (8.5/10)
At first I was not keen on Helen because she seemed a little boring and taught the content in a very traditional way- slides and reading from the textbook. Only later into the semester did I find that she really did know her stuff and taught in a more engaging way. She makes classes somewhat humorous with her stories and I ended up enjoying the tutes as the semester went on. She was extremely lenient on CP and never forced it- I think I only answered maybe 3 things the entire semester and I still got a credit :p Would recommend her!

Overall: 7.5/10

LAWS1141: Principles of Public Law

Ease: 7/10
This course most probably caters more towards humanities kids. It's very 'theory' based and has very little focus on legislation unlike Crime and the Criminal Process. It's all about government, sovereignty, rights, Australia's status etc. At the start of the semester the content is very easy and straight forward but in the last maybe month of the semester, the content definitely got harder and you had to work harder to really understand everything. I feel like the ease of this course is also heavily dependent on your lecturer. CP is worth 20% so probably worth your time/effort to actually prepare and participate in class. First assessment is worth 30% and consists of problem Q + essay Q (in my opinion slightly hard), and final assessment worth 50% consisting of 2 essay questions. The questions in the final were fair and if you had decent notes I feel like you would probably have done well, but then again, marking may be harsh..

Lecturer/Tutor: Ben Golder (10/10)
An awesome guy who is unbelievably passionate about public law. He truly knows his stuff and relays information very easily to students. CP is marked fairly and he literally writes down your name when you participate. He could be a slightly harsh marker but not too sure. Ben definitely made class enjoyable and facilitated a LOT of discussion, completely in contrast to my Crim class haha. Excellent tutor- would definitely recommend.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
ARTS1030- Intro to English

This course is pretty easy if you are a humanities person and enjoy essay writing.. You basically study a range of genres including poetry, drama, novel, short stories. First assessment is an essay worth 20% on poetry which was fairly marked, second essay worth 40% on Beloved, also well marked, and the final consisted of 2 essays with choices between three texts. A very straight forward final exam worth 40% with questions that did not try to trick you, but were extremely fair if you had listened in the final few lectures.

Lecturers: Bill Walker (5/10), Sigi (7/10), Beloved Lecturer (9/10) Endgame (8/10), Lear (8/10), The Boat (6/10)

Slightly annoying that the lectures require attendance.. for the lectures you do miss- everything is recorded + lecture slides posted. 2 x 1 hr lectures per week with rotating lecturers.

Tutor: Bill Walker (4/10). In my personal opinion, I did not enjoy Bill's style of teaching and felt that each tute was ridiculously repetitive and mundane. Others appreciated the repetitiveness so I may be alone!

Interest: 8/10
If you enjoyed English in high school you will most probably enjoy this course. It allows you to stray from the classic HSC model of regurgitating quotes/techniques and encourages you to form your own ideas (and rewards you for having your own opinion!) A pretty easy Distinction if you perform consistently.

ARTS1270: Global History

Ease: 9/10
Holy god, this course was unreal. If you can string together a couple essays and are good with comprehension, you will love this course. The final 'test' if it can be called that is worth only 15% in lecture, and is a 12 question quiz. That was the only aspect I found 'hard' because I didn't attend every lecture.. and some of the questions at times seemed irrelevant or a little obscure. The online quizzes are worth a ridiculous 35% of your grade, and being based on the readings- are a seriously easy HD. Anyone can get full marks in this 'assessment'. All you need to do is Control-F your readings and/or have some sense of comprehension. The essay component in this course was awesome- first essay worth 20% and second worth 30%. Both essays gave you a couple choices for questions and were research essays, so you could write about pretty much anything. A lot of freedom and very fairly marked.

Lecturers: 7/10 From the lectures I attended.. they were pretty average.

Tutor: Sophie Robinson- 9.5/10
An absolutely awesome tutor who was young and relatable and was super chill. Really passionate and made tutes extremely relaxed and something to look forward to. Definitely recommended.

Interest: 8.5/10

Actual course was a little scattered- jumping around different time periods with no real 'thread' linking everything together. The lectures therefore seemed very unrelated as well as the tutes. Redeeming factor was the research essays which gave you so much freedom and therefore sparking interest!

LAWS1021: Crime and the Criminal Process

Ease: 6.5/10

This course really depends on your interest in criminal law. The first assessment was a Court Report worth 30%, so a very easy way to score good marks early on- making the final a little less stressful. 10% class participation was awesome, not too much pressure and awarded fairly. 60% final however was quite stressful. The actual exam this year seemed quite intense with the problem question consisting of a lot of components. The essay question was average but just not what I particularly wanted (haha). Timing was stressful and despite being 3 hours long I felt rushed throughout the entire exam. Advice- try hard with court report + CP and make consistent notes for the final that are EASY to navigate.

Lecturer/Tutor: Helen Gibbon (8.5/10)
At first I was not keen on Helen because she seemed a little boring and taught the content in a very traditional way- slides and reading from the textbook. Only later into the semester did I find that she really did know her stuff and taught in a more engaging way. She makes classes somewhat humorous with her stories and I ended up enjoying the tutes as the semester went on. She was extremely lenient on CP and never forced it- I think I only answered maybe 3 things the entire semester and I still got a credit :p Would recommend her!

Overall: 7.5/10

LAWS1141: Principles of Public Law

Ease: 7/10
This course most probably caters more towards humanities kids. It's very 'theory' based and has very little focus on legislation unlike Crime and the Criminal Process. It's all about government, sovereignty, rights, Australia's status etc. At the start of the semester the content is very easy and straight forward but in the last maybe month of the semester, the content definitely got harder and you had to work harder to really understand everything. I feel like the ease of this course is also heavily dependent on your lecturer. CP is worth 20% so probably worth your time/effort to actually prepare and participate in class. First assessment is worth 30% and consists of problem Q + essay Q (in my opinion slightly hard), and final assessment worth 50% consisting of 2 essay questions. The questions in the final were fair and if you had decent notes I feel like you would probably have done well, but then again, marking may be harsh..

Lecturer/Tutor: Ben Golder (10/10)
An awesome guy who is unbelievably passionate about public law. He truly knows his stuff and relays information very easily to students. CP is marked fairly and he literally writes down your name when you participate. He could be a slightly harsh marker but not too sure. Ben definitely made class enjoyable and facilitated a LOT of discussion, completely in contrast to my Crim class haha. Excellent tutor- would definitely recommend.

Did Bill do any Shakespeare or Poetry by any chance in his tutes or lectures?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yep :) Poetry in lectures + tutes and Shakespeare in tutes only.
that's weird

That's his best two topics - Shakespeare and poetry - I would've thought he aced that, I totally loved him on the Shakespeare and Poetry courses

hmm

Not a fan of his style, I guess?

humanitieslover

HSC
that's weird

That's his best two topics - Shakespeare and poetry - I would've thought he aced that, I totally loved him on the Shakespeare and Poetry courses

hmm

Not a fan of his style, I guess?
Haha yeah, maybe I really am an outlier. I just thought that the tutes were insanely repetitive?! He would literally say the exact same phrases each lesson and we would just never progress. I do have friends who liked his style though, so yeah probably just me :p

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Haha yeah, maybe I really am an outlier. I just thought that the tutes were insanely repetitive?! He would literally say the exact same phrases each lesson and we would just never progress. I do have friends who liked his style though, so yeah probably just me :p
What do you mean "exact same phrases each lesson"? I haven't had an English course with him in ages, so I may have my memory refreshed :p

I remember when he gave back essays, he was so annoyed with the quality of writing, he made half the tute an essay writing skills tute.

HSC
Uni Grad
Here comes the rest of my reviews for the rest of the semester.

PTRL3001 – Reservoir Engineering B

Ease: 7/10 – the concepts can be quite difficult to understand but overall it is pretty easy as you may not always need to understand them, but just remember how to do the stuff.
Content: 7/10 – content level for this one is quite decent, although quite a bit of memorizing required, especially regarding proofs as well as some of the content. A lot of questions also require you to understand things conceptually, or memorize some of the points You learn about displacement efficiencies, capillary pressure, water saturation curves, methods of estimating reserves and a few other things in this one.
Lecturer: Furqan Hussain – 8.5/10 – he’s a good lecturer who is consistently willing to improve his teaching methods and willing to listen to other people’s feedback. He is also quite engaging and his lectures are worthwhile attending imo.
Tutor: Yien Fuang Tiong – 9/10 – he was very helpful when I went to his consultation before the exam. Even answered some of the more complex ones I asked about him as well, and he answered them quite well. Also offered help through facebook. 
Lab: N/A
Overall: 8/10 – would do this subject again, just that imo I really should study this subject often and not cram last minute. The only thing they can do better is to release past exams and let us keep the paper. :p

PTRL3003 – Field Development Geology and Geophysics

Ease: 3/10. Hah, this subject is pretty much two subjects, 3UoC each but 6UoC worth of work for each of them. So you’re essentially doing a 6UoC subject but with 12 UoC worth of work and 2 final exams for both of them.
Field Development Geology: 5/10 – the content is easy to understand, it’s just that you have to memorize it all (memorize the responses to 97 questions, fml).
Geophysics: 2/10 – WTF the lecture slides don’t explain enough, not only to mention the fact that there is almost no guidance in this course either.

Content: 4/10.
FDG – 6/10 – the content in FDG is quite useful and interesting, as there are lots of nice pictures to compliment with whatever you’re learning. But memorizing this stuff and regurgitating this in the exam is a big no, because what am I? In high school all over again?
Geophysics – 2/10 – the content in this subject on the other hand, boring as. It doesn’t help when the lecturer doesn’t explain things very interestingly either.
Lecturer:
FDG – Lila Gurba – 5/10. She can explain concepts quite well but she isn’t very well organized and tends to do things quite at the last minute. If anything, please give us the questions for the midterm and the final earlier, just so that we know what we specifically have to study and pay attention to pl0x. She also posted moodle announcements a few days before exams and deadlines, which were a problem in itself too especially for those who need to get their stuff organized quite early on.
Geophysics – Derecke Palmer – 3/10. As a lecturer he did lecture but he literally had no form of organization, no moodle posts, lack of communication. We did nothing throughout the first half of the semester up until week 9, when we had the midterm exam. From there onwards, it got busier but it didn’t seem like we had any idea of what to do for presentations. Finally in the end in week 13 he crammed all of the presentations during that period. His intent on reducing plagiarism by giving more of a seminar style approach was good in theory but heavily lacked good implementation, which is why around 60% of the weighting was presentations, and the other 40% being midterm + finals combined. Occasionally he does crack a funny joke and is a bit blatant in what he says, so I give +1 for that. But overall he is not a very good lecturer. I was also told he doesn’t take this course seriously, but in his other GEOS courses he actually does quite a solid job.
Tutor: N/A
Lab: N/A but we had one computer lab on petrel (petroleum engineering software) – I can’t comment too much on this one because I never really paid attention in this lab.
Overall: 3/10. This course is terribad, and imo there needs to be assistant tutors who can help post announcements and clarify any related issues. Not only to mention that each component should be 6 UoC worth, and maybe we can get rid of geophysics and do a GEOS equivalent course (GEOS3331). Those doing petroleum engineering have to take this course anyway, the field development geology component is especially important for thesis A, which is geology based.

PTRL3015 – Well Drilling Equipment and Operations

Ease: 6/10. It’s easy to do well in the exams and assignments provided you have previous year’s copies. Make sure you obtain past exams as well as other related material off your peers (assignments, lab reports, etc.) as they will make your life a hell lot easier. The content itself is not that great but the calculations are quite easy iirc. This year he gave away half of the exam the day before the actual exam itself, so if you did the questions then you should get at least half marks for the final.
Content: 5/10. Drilling is boring in general and it doesn’t really interest most others, especially having to read 200 pages in total of drilling theory. The labs are even worse – the theory you have to read is just… oh god. Not only to mention that there’s like 200 pages of theory for only 10% of the final exam paper. And not only that you have to memorize a whole bunch of formulas for the final exam too – no open book sorry.
Lecturer: Sheik Rahman – 5/10. He’s a nice lecturer but imo he can only lecture and it's also hard for him to control the class. He certainly knows what he’s on about but it’s just that no one finds him engaging enough to listen in class. Heck, he even stated that the lectures are not compulsory and you don’t have to go to them. Definitely a friendly person, an awesome researcher and all, but in terms of lecturing and teaching imo he isn’t great especially if you have to go to his lectures for 3 hours.
Tutor: Reda Abdelazim – I don’t have many opinions about him but afaik he’s very wary of people cheating in class so try your best to not get caught. There was another tutor who marked lab reports and afaik he marked pretty leniently – lots of people were able to obtain high marks for the lab component as a result.
Lab: Zhixi Chen – 7/10. He certainly knows his stuff and can answer any question you ask him, it’s just that when he speaks English, people find it incomprehensible. It’s better off that he speaks mandarin so that it is more engaging. Otherwise he is a nice lab demonstrator who is willing to help you out. Also the labs itself were quite interesting in itself – learning how to make drilling cement, and also how to make cement in itself by adding dry cement, water and other additives.
Overall: 5/10 – the theory is pretty shit but the labs itself were quite nice (lab reports, well….). At least this subject is more organized than the above one, since there are tutors to help out Sheik mark work and do other things. Now just release past exams – heck Sheik said there would be past exams on the UNSW library website but there were actually none.

PTRL courses overall require lots of rote-learning, memorizing and regurgitation, which is pretty BS imo.

Last edited:

asi9

HSC
FINS3641 - Security Analysis and Valuation

Ease: 6/10 - I believe Henry has a very specific marking criteria so it's hard to score full marks in written responses.
Content: 8/10 - Interesting concepts; breaks down DCF in-depth
Lecturer: 9/10 - Henry Yip
Tutor - 0/10 Complete dud of tutor, never got his name properly and I doubt he got any of ours

Notsuree

HSC
Uni Grad
FINS2624 - Portfolio Management

Ease: 7.5/10 - Concept based, i.e., minimal memorisation. The "math" was significantly watered down, so no worries there either.
Content: 8/10 - A neat introduction to portfolio theory. Unfortunately, some concepts were needlessly watered down, at least IMO.
Lecturer: 9.5/10 - Joakim Bang - Great lecturer and even better administrator ... dude answers every question on Moodle.
Tutor: 9/10 - Solid, highly intelligible, but more importantly was able to convey his knowledge.

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad
CVEN2501 - Principles of Water Engineering

Ease: 6/10 - Not very easy at all. Lots of calculations and problem solving required! I would suggest you keep up with the content and attend lectures (unlike me).
Content: 6/10 - A fairly decent amount of content, make sure you revise regularly because a lot of the later stuff is built on the stuff at the start, with the exception of dimensional analysis and physical models.
Lecturer: Dr Bruce Cathers 7/10 - tends to be a bit boring at times, but covers the content pretty well. Dr. Stefan Felder 5/10 - Accent is hard to understand and goes too fast for my liking.
Tutors: 5/10 - They don't actually go through the questions in the tutorial, it's more of a "do it yourself and I'll help" kind of situation. I didn't like them.

Overall: 5/10

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad
CVEN2301 - Mechanics of Solids (Civil Engineering)

Ease: 7/10 - Fairly easy as long as you kept up with the content. Make sure you do enough prep for the quizzes.
Content: 7/10 - Not the hardest content, but there are questions which are, at times, confusing. Shit starts to get a bit more serious from week 4 onwards.
Lecturer: A/Prof Mario Attard 7/10 - tends to be a bit boring at times, but covers the content pretty well. Dr S Tangaramvong 5/10 - Accent is hard to understand. Like, really hard to understand.
Tutors: 2/10 - My ones were pretty fobby, I did not understand a word of what they said. However, we could whisper in the class tests as they didn't really give two shits, which was advantageous.

Overall: 6.5/10

year120

HSC
INFS1602

Ease: 6/10 despite giving questions to focus on for the final the final exam screwed a lot of people up. It is heavily content based and a lot of essays and short answers. For the finals they asked one big essay and 5 short answers and 2 mini essays

Content: 7/10 a lot is based on tutorials and put in a lot of examples for the finals. most of the content makes sense though because you can really relate it to real world situations

Lecturer: 0/10 worst lecturer i have ever have. his lecture slides are only pictures and they don’t record. the book is really shit because they have so much unnecessary content. but go to the last lecture because he tells you what to focus on for the final.

Tutor: 8/10 I had Jill she was the head tutor and she was pretty good in terms of explaining the content. however despite speaking in every lesson she didn’t give full participation marks and there were people who only spoke 5 times throughout the semester and the same mark i did.

Overall: 4/10 This is a subject that requires you to research a lot. every week you had to research new articles and summarise them so it was very time consuming. and it’s a subject that requires you to right a lot. the assignments takes up a lot of time. and one is individual and the other is group. a lot of people say that this subject is a wam booster but for me it was more a wam killer. Even though Eric gives questions to focus on for the final don’t solely focus on them because it will screw you over. In the final exam they asked for topics based on: business intelligence, ecosystem, had to describe/explain four of the Data Quality, UNSWBS social media, had to explain five of the six V’s of Big Data

ACCT2522

Ease: 7/10 if you do the homework and go through it and go through the practice paper they give you will do fine for the finals.

Content: 7/10 it was boring at the start but towards the end it got pretty interesting.

Lecturer: 6/10 The last lecturer, I think her name was nicole, was the best because she was easy to understand. The ladies before her were ok but not the best. sometimes it was hard to understand because of their accents.

Tutor: 7/10 not bad but didn’t really teach more just told us what was the right answer

Overall: 7/10 it is an interesting course and they give examples to do throughout the lecture which is really helpful when it comes to the final exam. The mid-sem test is hard. For the final they asked us on: ABC, VBC, What’s wrong with calculations they give and we had to write 4 answers explaining what was wrong and how it should be, Binding constrain, performance evaluation and management and pert chart.

PSYC1001

Ease: 9/10 really easy course

Content: 7/10 HEAPS of content. you need to remember a lot of the experiments and who conducted them. and you need to know from each lecture. I liked PSYC1011 better than this one because this one is not very structured so it was more harder to study.

Lecturer: 8/10 they have really good examples to help you remember the ideas

Tutor: 9/10 had the tutor in charge and she was really cool and chilled

Overall: 9/10 really easy subject but the content is just a too much because they go through many topics

FINS1613

Ease: 8/10 do it in semester 1 if you can because it is easier.

Content: 6/10 the content is ok at the start and then it starts getting harder

Lecturer: Rob is really good and you can easily understand him and ask questions. The other guys is really boring and just reads of the slides. Emma is not that great, couldn’t really understand her and I felt like she over complicated things.

Tutor: 9/10 Had Emdad was a really cool guys and easy to ask questions however he went through the content too fast. He would say we had 5 minutes to do a question and then 2 minutes later would ask for the answer and go to the next question.

Overall: 7/10 interesting subject. Do this subject if you are considering Finance because it gives an idea for what finance would be like. We only had to reach 50% composite so that was the best part. But the quizzes every 3 weeks was annoying.

Ikki

HSC
ECON1101 - Microeconomics

Ease: 9/10 - Very easy subject if you understand the content you're bound to get a HD. Definitely a WAM booster.
Content: 9/10 - Interesting content. Having not done economics in high school I found the content very enlightening!
Lecturer: Alberto Motta -> 10/10 - He is one of (if not THE) the best lecturer(s) in UNSW, pleasure to be in his lectures, makes you want to go lol.
Tutors: 7/10 - Tutor was okay, not good not bad.

Overall: 9/10 - Highly Recommended

===
MATH1081 - Discrete Mathematics

Ease: 4/10 - Pretty difficult subject if you're trying to understand the weird alien things that are explored.
Content: 7/10 - The content itself is interesting, but you have to understand it and apply it to do well.
Lecturer: Thomas Britz -> 9/10 - He is one of the best lecturer in UNSW, treated the class to a barrage of chocolates in the final class and regularly brought cola every week lol.
Tutors: 7/10 - Tutor was okay.

Overall: 6.5/10 - Only recommended if interested. Difficult course.

===
MATH1241 - Higher Mathematics 1

Ease: 6/10 - Throughout the semester the difficulty is on par with normal math, maybe slightly more but you will get rekt in the final exam if you don't understand what you're doing. Scaling does help.
Content: 7/10 - Content is standard. Calculus is HSC 4u revision. Algebra is annoying.
Lecturer: I forgot, I didn't go lectures that much -> 7/10 - Ceebs lectures.
Tutors: 7/10 - Good algebra tutor (Du), Decent Calculus tutor (Mcnamara)

Overall: 7/10 - Take normal math if you're just gonna cram near the end. If you're interested do higher.

===
COMP1917 - Computing 1

Ease: 6/10 - Difficult subject, lots of content, hard to keep up with, final exam is a killer.
Content: 8/10 - Interesting content. LEARNING HOW TO CODE IN C!!!
Lecturer: Salil Kanhere -> 6/10 && Richard Buckland -> 10/10 (Online) - Salil tries his best but only shadows the legendary Richard Buckland.
Tutors: 10/10 - Tutor was awesome. 5th year, now working in Microsoft USA. Only thing bothered me was he wouldn't really help that much, but I guess that's a good thing.

Overall: 8/10 - Very nice course for learning code, make sure you study like no tomorrow for the exams (esp linked lists) otherwise you're screwed.

Last edited:

Hunny

HSC
ECON1101
Ease: 10/10 - can be a bit tricky sometimes if you don't complete homework or read slides
Lecturer: Alberto Motta - popular lecturer, really funny guy and explains things well!!!
Interest: 9/10 - really interesting course, learn about opportunity cost, marginal benefits/costs, competition and monopolies
Overall: 9.5/10 - hand-ins, tests and finals are easy and only multiple choice for finals

ECON1202
Ease: 7/10 - purely mathematics, bit tricky towards the end
Lecturer: Kolotilin & Pimienta - alright lecturers
Interest: 8/10 - if you like learning maths then this should be good or swap it out for a real MATH course
Overall: 7.5/10 - easy quizzes and tests, finals had some difficult probability questions toward the end

ECON1203
Ease: 8/10 - Lots of formulas, can be confusing sometimes
Lecturer: Foster & Voss - their teaching can be difficult to understand sometimes, good lecturers
Interest: 8/10 - interesting course
Overall: 8/10 - finals can be hard if you don't know what you're reading

ACCT1501
Ease: 8/10 - if you read, do questions and rote-learn it should be really easy
Lecturer: Youngdeok & Jeffrey & Raja - okay, nearly fell asleep in some of them, skipped the lectures towards the end of semesters
Interest: 7/10 - pretty boring though I am still drawn to it
Overall: 7.5/10 - some dry content; tute tests are not bad, and finals were alright!

HSC
N/A
Any thoughts on these finance electives? :/

International Corporate Governance - FINS3626
Asia-Pacific Capital Markets - FINS2622
Bank Financial Management - FINS3630
Behavioural Finance - FINS3655
Venture Capital - FINS3623
Applied Corporate Finance - FINS3625

HSC
N/A
ACCT1511
Ease: 6/10 dont know wtf did we learn... finals constitute 75% i thought i did well but the mark i got was significantly lower than my expectation wtf
Lecturer: 7/10 seminar style, mine's alright but i forgot his name lol
Interest: 4/10 soz i hate accounting
Overall: 4/10

ACCT2542
Ease: 7/10 Heard it's one of the hardest courses in acct but i think it's not that bad...Consolidation and equity method are confusing tho. but finals arent as hard as we all thought
Lecturer: Jeffrey Knapp - sarcastic lol not nice to students but when it comes to marks i guess he's okay...i hope
Interest:5/10 seriously who would enjoy accounting... and heavy workload + boring content (content isnt that bad tho)
Overall: 6/10

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
MMAN2100
Ease: 4/10 -> pretty difficult course you need to consistently be writing in your logbook, researching, doing design work etc
Lecturer: Dr Held -> really good lecturer he does talk about space a lot it is sometimes interesting. The lectures you don't really need to go to but he does sometimes talk about jobs and other interesting things so worth it to go
Interest: 10/10
Overall: 10/10 -> 2nd best course I've done at uni so far

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

GEOS1111 - Fundamentals of Geology:

- lab rock test: Take your time identifying what the rocks look like because you need to be able to identify them. You can bring in features on handwritten notes so that part of the test was fine. All multiple choice but don't let it fool you.
- Mapping test: I found it pretty hard. If you're good with maps, make sure you grasp all the concepts as it will really help you. All multiple choice once again, but no notes allowed, so you'll need to know stuff.
- Fieldtrip assignment: I had the absolute worst day of my life on this trip so my assignment was pretty crap. Basically, if you're not having a bad day, make sure you listen to them and you should be fine (they basically give you the answers).
- economic minerals test: This was overwhelming as there were so many rock specimens to remember, however as long as you learn to identify the very unique ones you should be good with this. Handwritten notes allowed so no worries on the features :D
- final exam: This was alright, but extremely time consuming. The multiple choice was good because Catherine usually gives them out during the lectures, however the writing bit was changed this year since someone posted the answers online. And there was so much to write/draw, I ended up running out of time. Other than that, the answers you can pretty much rote and you should be good. (Except for the mineral ore stuff, you'll have to research for that because lectures are very vague for those topics).

Content: 7/10

The content for this course is interesting however the lecture slides are very limited and vague. You don't really understand much from them.

Lecturers: 7/10

I had Catherine. And although she meant well, her voice is very soft and heavily accented. It was more of a lullaby and I couldn't pay much attention, let alone hear her. The good thing is she gives you lots and lots of hints for exams.

Tutor: 8/10
Lab demonstrator was Claire, and she was nice and helpful. But she was very quick in going through many of the mapping concepts which were hard to understand.

menodiks

Banned
HSC
GEOS1111
Ease:10/10 - tests throughout semester are simple and dont take much time to study, final exam was a bit hard for MC, but written answered remained the same
Content: 9/10 It is interesting to know how much geology can play a role in our society, and was nice learning a lot, with the field trip backing it up
Lecturer:N/A I skipped alot of lectures so cant comment
Lab Tutor: Erica Barlow 10/10 - knows her shit well and is quite friendly and nice to talk to
Overall: 10/10 Easy science elective if needed, but if u major in geology dont expect other courses to be this easy

EDST2002
Ease: 7/10 - first assignment was a bit challenging due to research nature, the second is just reflections.
Content: N/A
Lecturer: N/A - only 2 lectures to go so cant judge.
Overall: 10/10 - u finally start teaching/observing in a school setting.

EDST2091
Ease: 9/10 - no essays, essentially creating own website/videos etc. even the international students had no problems with it. Only 9/10 since lecture and tutorial attendance is recorded (lel education)
Content: 9/10 - Would say it is a necessary course for teaching as you dont want to be one of those technology illiterate teachers, useful for all teaching areas.
Lecturer: Sandy Phillips 9/10 - Knows the course content well, applies a unique teaching style that may not suit some people. Overall nice to talk to and will gladly assist you if necessary
Tutor: as above
Overall 10/10 probably a must for future educators.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)