UNSW-University of Tokyo Exchange (1 Viewer)

unsw181

HSC
Do you guys know anything about exchange opportunities at the University of Tokyo for UNSW Com/Law students? The Law exchange guide only lists Chuo University for a Law exchange but both the UNSW and UTokyo websites list each other as faculty-wide exchange partners.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Do you guys know anything about exchange opportunities at the University of Tokyo for UNSW Com/Law students? The Law exchange guide only lists Chuo University for a Law exchange but both the UNSW and UTokyo websites list each other as faculty-wide exchange partners.
There is currently no law exchange to the University of Tokyo. There is exchange for other degrees e.g. probably for Commerce. The reason is that we haven't agreed on an exchange partnership with the Law School over there yet.

unsw181

HSC
Thanks for your response. Are Law students allowed to go on exchange for the Commerce component of their degree? Do you know any who have? The UNSW website says "All disciplines" are available for exchange at most of the Japanese unis. Does this exclude Law?

so_what

HSC
Yes, you can go on exchange and only do the commerce components of your degree.
If you're unsure you are best off contacting the Exchange Advisor for Asia, he knows his stuff. I think his name is Andrew.

unsw181

HSC
Thanks for your response. The problem is this semester I'm going to be taking two subjects relating to my Commerce major. I'll make an appointment with the Exchange Advisor once the semester starts. What kind of WAM do you think is needed?

Last edited:

a19901213

HSC
Actually Chuo is famous of its law department, it's one of the best law school you can find in Japan. If you insist doing a law exchange program Chuo is a good choice

so_what

HSC
Have you been to a exchange info session yet? Once you get access to the moodle student exchange page, there is a pdf guide with previous semesters wam cutoffs.

unsw181

HSC
Wikipedia says that Chuo is renowned for it's Law school but my friend, who lives in Japan, says it's a lower-tier uni. I can't find any scheduled exchange workshops and the online tutorial isn't open until week 2, but I will get on all that ASAP. Thanks for the info.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Doesn't really matter you're getting a degree from UNSW anyway.

Ayoo

HSC
The wam cutoff for U of Tokyo was 60 for s2 2013 and s1 2014 but was 75 for s2 2014. However I think it's because they have language requirements otherwise it sounds a bit low to me

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
The wam cutoff for U of Tokyo was 60 for s2 2013 and s1 2014 but was 75 for s2 2014. However I think it's because they have language requirements otherwise it sounds a bit low to me
I think those WAM cutoff sounds reasonable. All courses are taught in Japanese so unless you know Japanese, a high WAM is pretty much useless.

a19901213

HSC
Any university(excluding Kyoto uni) is low tier uni if you compare to University of Tokyo lol. But there are still many highly reputed uni in Japan. As for the university on the UNSW exchange partner list, I would recommend you to have a look at Keio, Waseda and Chuo uni. These three unis are all very prestigious and have outstanding law school.

Personally I like Keio the most as it's located right in the central Tokyo and surrounded by prestigious suburbs.

HSChelpneeded

HSC
I have a quick question: When doing an exchange, do you go through the language training at Uni before leaving or are you supposed to have been learning the language of the country already....Also, when u go there are they EASY ON YOU and dont expect you to speak japanese all the time etc...i wanna go but im nervous they're gonna be like wtf u cant speak very well/awks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)