UNSW, UTS or USYD JD? (1 Viewer)

adriana1991

HSC
I have recently received offers to study a JD Law degree at UTS, USYD and UNSW and I can't decide where to go. My offers were all for full-fee paying places.

I finished my undergraduate degree of a Bachelor of International and Global Studies at Sydney Uni last year so I am wondering if I should change unis for a different experience.

I think UNSW and USYD are equal in reputation and I would like the option of working at a top tier law firm. I feel Sydney is probably the most prestigious but I'm not sure if that should factor into my decision. UTS is also considerably cheaper and money is a factor for me. However I would hope to be able to transfer to a CSP place after my first year, and UTS does not offer any CSP places.

Does anyone have any suggestions about which uni is best? Any pros or cons? Any good or bad experiences? All advice and thoughts would be very appreciated!

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
Wow you're a grad! Congrats! btw, a LOT of the people on these forums are like hsc 2013, just finished hsc (as I am) and 1 & 2nd years

You are usually the go to people for uni opinions, because we haven't even gone to uni yet lol - and if we have, it's most likely a first year person

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi OP,

From my experience talking to summer clerks, top tier firms view both USYD and UNSW as almost equals if not equals. I know quite a few JDs from UNSW that have secured clerkships at the Big 6, most of them are clerking at HSF right now.

I don't know whether USYD or UNSW JD experience will be better as I don't know anyone who is doing JD at USYD to make a comparison. I do know a few graduates from USYD that are doing UNSW JD so maybe there is something that they prefer at UNSW.

After your first year of study, you can transfer from full fee to CSP at UNSW. I think USYD is also the same but not sure.

From my experience at UNSW Law, the staff are very friendly and easy to approach. A lot of the lecturers welcome students to visit them if they have any queries. We also have a great student Law Society which organises many fantastic social events and career related workshops. Last year they had the big 6 and some mid tier come in to talk about clerkships and will do the same this year.

We are fortunate to have a very strong Competitions portfolio and JD students are highly welcome to compete. This year they are trying to accomodate JD needs by scheduling competitions to not conflict with JD class times.

The UNSW JD program is taught at three locations now. Two in the city and one at the Kensington campus. You get to choose where you want to study. Travelling to Kensington is a con of going to UNSW but that isn't a problem if you can study at the City Campus.

If you want to find out more about the JD program at UNSW, I can ask a few friends for you. Did you want to know something in particular?

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
I have recently received offers to study a JD Law degree at UTS, USYD and UNSW and I can't decide where to go. My offers were all for full-fee paying places.

I finished my undergraduate degree of a Bachelor of International and Global Studies at Sydney Uni last year so I am wondering if I should change unis for a different experience.

I think UNSW and USYD are equal in reputation and I would like the option of working at a top tier law firm. I feel Sydney is probably the most prestigious but I'm not sure if that should factor into my decision. UTS is also considerably cheaper and money is a factor for me. However I would hope to be able to transfer to a CSP place after my first year, and UTS does not offer any CSP places.

Does anyone have any suggestions about which uni is best? Any pros or cons? Any good or bad experiences? All advice and thoughts would be very appreciated!
WHat was your WAM or GPA, if you don't mind me asking? I wish to apply for second semester and mine is 68.75. I want to know if I have a shot.

DrNTL

HSC
Hi adriana1991,

May I ask what decision you made in the end? I also have applied for a JD at UNSW and UTS. I think my preference in for UNSW. USyd seems too traditional in it's approach.

I have a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MB.BS) from Adelaide University, and have practised for 12 years as a doctor (Royal Adelaide Hospital, Women's and Children's hospital Adelaide, Children's Hospital at Westmead, the Royal Children's Hospital Melbourne, as well as in private practice in Melbourne and Sydney). I am disenchanted with medicine, and have always been attracted to law. While the change will be a huge step down in earnings for the first 5-10years after I start practicing law, I do not mind, as I am still only in my 30s.

RishBonjour

HSC
Hi adriana1991,

May I ask what decision you made in the end? I also have applied for a JD at UNSW and UTS. I think my preference in for UNSW. USyd seems too traditional in it's approach.

I have a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MB.BS) from Adelaide University, and have practised for 12 years as a doctor (Royal Adelaide Hospital, Women's and Children's hospital Adelaide, Children's Hospital at Westmead, the Royal Children's Hospital Melbourne, as well as in private practice in Melbourne and Sydney). I am disenchanted with medicine, and have always been attracted to law. While the change will be a huge step down in earnings for the first 5-10years after I start practicing law, I do not mind, as I am still only in my 30s.
you should reconsider that assumption.
but wow, doctor to lawyer.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi RishBonjour,

I take it you are currently studying or have studied at USyd? How have you found the teaching style at USyd?

Thanks
There are a few members like Aerath and izzy88 that study law at USyd maybe give send them a private message.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi adriana1991,

That's a pretty tedious process for all-round-averageness.

DrNTL

HSC
All good. Just received the offer from UNSW for the JD program. Happy ( :

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)