UNSW v USyd for Science/Law? (1 Viewer)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
You sure about that? I can't find any mention of it on the web or in the 2015 UNSW Law Undergraduate Guide. It would be great if it was though; sounds like a good combination.

And don't worry about Redfern, it's harmless.
Yeah I contacted the university last year, they were hoping to have it ready for sem 2, 2014. Checked last week and they said it will definitely be in place for 2015.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Yeah like everyone says, you can't go wrong with either. I'm doing science/law and chose UNSW mostly because of its law faculty. I really love the teaching style and definitely think it was the best decision for me. I don't regret not going to USYD.
Are you enjoying the degree?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Yeah I contacted the university last year, they were hoping to have it ready for sem 2, 2014. Checked last week and they said it will definitely be in place for 2015.
Ah OK. Thought they would've advertised it by now.

pHyRe

HSC
well look at my degree

do you think i would know about things like that...?
are you implying that you wouldn't know? cause there are SSP/TSP for adv. maths.

and if you're implying that you would know, then why not say what you know?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
are you implying that you wouldn't know? cause there are SSP/TSP for adv. maths.

and if you're implying that you would know, then why not say what you know?
yes but that's SSP/TSP for Advanced Maths, not Science in general - hence my knowledge of that is irrelevant pretty much

seanieg89

HSC
Go to open days (ideal) / go for a walk around campus, check out facilities, talk to academics in your area and hopefully one of them "feels" right to you.

Usyd was a much better fit for me in undergrad. (A BSc (Adv Maths) degree consisting mostly of maths, science and philosophy.)

I had some of the best times of my life at Usyd and met some fantastic people, but I don't want to let this bias slip into my advice. In reality, they are both solid enough schools that neither choice would hurt your career. Go with your gut.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I can tell you about the Talented Students Program or Special Studies Program or whatever it's called for Advanced Mathematics students.

However the person in question is not studying Advanced Mathematics, therefore my knowledge of that is irrelevant.

bangladesh

HSC
I can tell you about the Talented Students Program or Special Studies Program or whatever it's called for Advanced Mathematics students.

However the person in question is not studying Advanced Mathematics, therefore my knowledge of that is irrelevant.
But advanced mathematics is still under science isnt it?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
But advanced mathematics is still under science isnt it?
By that same logic, a Talented Students Program for a person in Creative Writing would be very very similar to a Talented Students Program for a person doing say... Theatre, because they're both under "Arts".

bangladesh

HSC
By that same logic, a Talented Students Program for a person in Creative Writing would be very very similar to a Talented Students Program for a person doing say... Theatre, because they're both under "Arts".
No i meant the structure of the program should be the same and the difference would be in the actual research topic etc...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
No i meant the structure of the program should be the same and the difference would be in the actual research topic etc...
Why should the structure be the same?

If I'm doing say a TSP for biology, I might have to go to labs and do some work there - if I'm doing TSP for Mathematics, I won't go anywhere near a lab and my "work" would probably be reading mathematical literature and meeting with supervisors.

bangladesh

HSC
Why should the structure be the same?

If I'm doing say a TSP for biology, I might have to go to labs and do some work there - if I'm doing TSP for Mathematics, I won't go anywhere near a lab and my "work" would probably be reading mathematical literature and meeting with supervisors.
yeah exactly. I didn't mean everything is the same, but regardless of your area, you get a mentor, it counts as 3 credit points etc
It clearly won't be the same but yeah.. not sure if you get what i'm saying or not but what i meant is that there's a general structure to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)