UNSW vs USYD vs Macquarie vs UTS Mechanical/Mechatronics Engineering!!! (1 Viewer)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
... it does not even qualified by Engineers Australia.
Are you sure!? I don't think that is the case because if it is true then it's not even an engineering degree, should be called engineering science.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
As indicated, Mechatronics at Macquarie is not accredited.

The university can name the program whatever they prefer it to be called.
If it is a new major it might be up for accreditation soon whenever the uni is reviewed by Engineers Australia next, that's the case with biomedical at UTS. On my phone so its a bit hard to tell if that is the reason.

friwa

HSC
N/A
anyone know about mechatronics major at Macquarie university ? since they dont have an Engineering faculty it worries me as i dont know if it is good or not...

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Based from my friends' experiences who all go to USYD, UTS, UNSW and UWS. This is how I'd order it in terms of rankings:
1. UNSW - well balanced.
2. UTS - strong emphasis on practical
3. USYD - a lot of emphasis on theory
4. UWS - you'd be lucky if you get into a decent firm.

friwa

HSC
N/A
Seriously? no ranking for MQ uni? thats disappointing... :(

ottermode

HSC
1st year mechatronic engineering student from macquarie checking in

friwa

HSC
N/A
so what is your impression with the course?

ottermode

HSC
It's challenging of course, you'll need to have a good grasp of HSC physics and HSC 3u Math (unless you're ok with doing Math for 4semesters). The lecturers told us, the reason why a few of Macq U's engineering courses aren't accredited on the Aus Engineers website is because we're the first batch of those specific engineers to come out from Macq and into the workforce. IMO I would choose the uni which provides the best future prospects for its engineers; Networking, internships etc.

eng_K

HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW or USyd only; else stay in Canberra. Maybe try ANU if possible. Mac and UWS are tier three or worse; you won't end up in a good job; this is certain. The employers do look at university and they look at your scores. Mac, UTS, USW are super easy universities to score at; I know people studying there who never turn up and still get HDs; and they're not super smart either to be doing this. The assignments and course work is easy; the lectures not so great, etc.
Also mechanical is probably the better way to go; there are more jobs for that in Australia I'd think. but it entirely depends on what you are more interested in. Go for interest at a better university and you will be happier overall.

Last edited:

eng_K

HSC
Uni Grad
yes they matter; for grad jobs you will need them. Some places don't ask for them but these places are not such great places to work; e.g. top tier companies will need them. But there is lots of other criteria for a job too; so the transcript is not the only thing. But it can take you places; this is for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)