UNSW vs UWA vs Uni Melb (1 Viewer)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Hi BoSers,

I am looking for some constructive criticism regarding where I should finish off my university degree.
My intended field of work is quantative analysis/trading (why I'm doing mathematics not law.)

Also, rather than doing a MBA is there a more appropriate post graduate course which tailors this aim? The MBA courses I've looked up at UWA and UNSW look like they teach coursework which is not relevant to my interests.

Anyway, happy posting!

Compared to the other universities, this is the most specific degree in terms of not being pigeon-holed into doing a generic course. Staying in Western Australia is a pain though with respect to getting internships and I'd have to move over east anyway to get a job. It is a lot less prestigious than the other universities in question but I guess the brand new $25m business school is nice.

Australian school of business, nuff said. My only problem with UNSW is that the degree is so inflexible and doesn't offer adequate maths within the commerce degree (to my knowledge.)

I believe Melbourne is kind of between UWA and UNSW in respect to doing the units which are appropriate for my intended line of work. What I like about melbourne is that the degree is only 3 years, however it is a case of the 'eagle amongst the turkeys' when your that young (or so I have read.)

ConanObrien

HSC
N/A
UNSW - B.Commerce (maybe double degree with economics or science?)
3-4 years
2-3 majors: Finance, Business Statistics and Economics was what I was looking at though I haven't looked at B.Comm&B.Sc (which i'd do to get a maths major)

Australian school of business, nuff said. My only problem with UNSW is that the degree is so inflexible and doesn't offer adequate maths within the commerce degree (to my knowledge.)
There is no Economics/Science Degree, only B.Com/Science (you can major in economics in this) at UNSW. In B.Com/Science, you can only get 1 major recognised in the commerce part. Business Statistics is basically the same as econometrics. For the science part, you can get a double major in mathematics and statistics.

Last edited:

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
At my uni, University of Wollongong

You can do a Bachelor of Math and Finance (BMathFin) and you can do it at the advanced level- BMathFin(adv.). Pretty much takes you beyond the norm commerce finance subjects into stochastic calculus and modelling pricing etc all the things ur after + bit of programming etc, u can do accounting/economics electives, stats etc

you'll prob bring up prestige, wouldn't worry at all- its a very difficult degree and if you come out of it with good marks it has basically a 100 percent employment rate. Several students i know have been picked up by major IB's, Macquarie etc, starting on lik 100 K/yr!

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
At my uni, University of Wollongong

You can do a Bachelor of Math and Finance (BMathFin) and you can do it at the advanced level- BMathFin(adv.). Pretty much takes you beyond the norm commerce finance subjects into stochastic calculus and modelling pricing etc all the things ur after + bit of programming etc, u can do accounting/economics electives, stats etc

you'll prob bring up prestige, wouldn't worry at all- its a very difficult degree and if you come out of it with good marks it has basically a 100 percent employment rate. Several students i know have been picked up by major IB's, Macquarie etc, starting on lik 100 K/yr!
Haha! I browsed some links which float around the idea that doing quant finance only entitles you to "60-120k a year after your PhD in Mathematics, 10 years experience and you wont get a job anyway so go back to IB" but I think the Europeans must have a screw loose or something.

Its beginning to look like UWA might be the best bet however stochiometric modelling is only offered as honours through "STAT7450 4S5: Times Series Methods and Applications." The programming side of it doesn't look pretty too, no financial based units are offered in computer science I dont think.

Really does feel like being in year 10/12 again, waiting for next year so you can actually start doing the stuff you want to be doing -.-"

Anyway I got an accounting lecture to get off to so I best leave it at that

Affinity

HSC
Do combined commerce and maths.. then figure out if you really want to do that kind of thing... If you decide to stay on you would need a higher degree in maths or similar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)