UOW Comp. Science 2006 (1 Viewer)

Chief2666

El Zorro
HSC
hey hey!!
i just wanted to know if anyone else was interested in applying.

also to all those people who are already there i have some questions.
I understand that UOW teaches C/C++ in its com. science course, if i apply for an early entry and show that i already have knowledge in C/C++ (which i do) would that affect my chances of geeting an early entry, also what other things can i do to raise my chances??

thanks.

Scanorama

HSC
Show them your projects, they were very impressed with my SDD and IPT projects last year, even though I did my project on Visual Basic 6. And you have to be very active during the interview, don't just answer their questions but also show how much you love the uni and the course.

One question they asked was 'How do you see yourself in 10 years time?' I answered something like working in front of the computer, probably writing softwares.

They also look at your trial results (yearly report), since you are doing both IPT and SDD, if you do well in it, they will probably give you a guarantee offers. Good luck in your HSC and looking forward to seeing you next year!

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Chief2666 said:
hey hey!!
i just wanted to know if anyone else was interested in applying.

also to all those people who are already there i have some questions.
I understand that UOW teaches C/C++ in its com. science course, if i apply for an early entry and show that i already have knowledge in C/C++ (which i do) would that affect my chances of geeting an early entry, also what other things can i do to raise my chances??

thanks.
That might better your chances of getting EE (someone who shows s/he is interested won't drop the course, and so the faculty get money). However, unless you're formally qualified, you'll still have to take first year CompSc subjects. All this means is easy HDs for you. :)

DooGseY

HSC
Not much will help you get in to Early Entry besides the marks on your report card. They will tell you it's an alternate way to get in if your marks aren't the best, but all they write down are your marks and pass them along to the people who make a decision, so basically anything else you show in the interview is useless. This is from my experience applying for Internet Science at least, where all they did was flick through the portfolio I had spent months planning. So don't go in expecting them to ask you about programming, it will almost all be about marks, and don't spend too long on your portfolio, otherwise you will be extremely disapointed when you leave like I was.

I don't know anyone that didn't get in from Early Entry though. A friend of mine scored 15 marks below the Computer Science cutoff last year and they called him and let him in anyway, so don't worry about it too much, as long as you turn up you should be able to get in via a conditional entry. If you want to get a straight up offer, you'll need to show you will exceed the minimum UAI easily with your report marks.

Scanorama

HSC
DooGseY said:
Not much will help you get in to Early Entry besides the marks on your report card. They will tell you it's an alternate way to get in if your marks aren't the best, but all they write down are your marks and pass them along to the people who make a decision, so basically anything else you show in the interview is useless. This is from my experience applying for Internet Science at least, where all they did was flick through the portfolio I had spent months planning. So don't go in expecting them to ask you about programming, it will almost all be about marks, and don't spend too long on your portfolio, otherwise you will be extremely disapointed when you leave like I was.

I don't know anyone that didn't get in from Early Entry though. A friend of mine scored 15 marks below the Computer Science cutoff last year and they called him and let him in anyway, so don't worry about it too much, as long as you turn up you should be able to get in via a conditional entry. If you want to get a straight up offer, you'll need to show you will exceed the minimum UAI easily with your report marks.
I agree with the Internet Science one, the bitch who interviewed me last year flipped through all the reference and my projects. At the end, after looking through my reports, she said well all i can say to you is work hard for you HSC....

But the dude who interviewed me for Computer Science was completely different story. He was far more interested on my projects and other stuff. At the end, even though I didn't quite meet the condition they set, (I was 7 points below the cut off, 5 below their condition), I rang up and they let me in anyway. So yeah early entry is good if your mark don't really meet the requirement to get in.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
They spoke to you about marks. Did you ask questions about the university? Did you lead a question into a way of telling them that there's something good about you? If not, then that's your problem.

The hint here is don't expect them to read your whole portfolio with interest. You're not the only person who they interview, it gets rather boring after a while. If you're first up, then you're lucky, if not, then you have to grab their attention somehow. Otherwise, you're just another set of trial HSC marks. Give them something extra to write by leading them to it.

People who say "I didn't get the chance" really mean "I didn't take the chance."

Scanorama

HSC
poloktim said:
They spoke to you about marks. Did you ask questions about the university? Did you lead a question into a way of telling them that there's something good about you? If not, then that's your problem.

The hint here is don't expect them to read your whole portfolio with interest. You're not the only person who they interview, it gets rather boring after a while. If you're first up, then you're lucky, if not, then you have to grab their attention somehow. Otherwise, you're just another set of trial HSC marks. Give them something extra to write by leading them to it.

People who say "I didn't get the chance" really mean "I didn't take the chance."
Yes I did, I asked them questions about the course and also the uni, as well as how much I like both.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Gough Whitlam said:
Yes I did, I asked them questions about the course and also the uni, as well as how much I like both.
"I like your uni, give me a place?"

Erk. I wasn't saying anything like that at all. If you have a legit reason as to why you think you should be given early entry, push for it. "I like your uni" is hardly a reason.

DooGseY

HSC
It was 4:30 in the afternoon, I was about the last person for the day, and I did everything I could, but they were not interested in the slightest. I guess it's different between interviewers, but nowhere on their sheet was there a tickbox for enthusiastic people or those who ask about the uni. At the end of the day, it's a sheet of paper with marks that gets passed along. I had high hopes for EE, I'm just giving it to this guy straight so he doesn't go and spend time and hopes on the wrong things like I did, and hopefully this is useful information to him.

Either way, the best students are probably the quietest ones anyway, so even though I was happy to talk for as long as I could, I think it would make little to no difference how you act.

Scanorama

HSC
poloktim said:
"I like your uni, give me a place?"

Erk. I wasn't saying anything like that at all. If you have a legit reason as to why you think you should be given early entry, push for it. "I like your uni" is hardly a reason.
No, that was just part of the reasons along with others, but anyway i got in now so its all good

pogiangel

HSC
My interview didnt go so well. I was really really nervous, I have no idea why coz im usually really outgoing and confident. I was really intimidated by my interviewers they werent very friendly...

I spent ages on my portfolio and they did notice that. They noted down alot of the related courses etc i did outside of school (eg. CCSS ... yeah we rock tim) and my marks etc etc. At this point in time i was really worried about the hsc and thought I'd get a UAI of like 50 or 60 ... but i didnt, met all requirements and cutoffs quite easily actually hehe...

I wish I left them with a copy of my CV just so they could go over it again, because I'm sure it would have been read over again at a later time coz they arent under the whole "30sec interview" time restriction.

My Creative Arts interview went much better. Just be friendly and honest.

Good luck, Jerome

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)