UoW Internet (1 Viewer)

equiski

HSC
I really, really really want to study at Wollongong and chances are I will live in University Accomondation for at least the 1st year. Looking at the pamphlet, most options have some sought of Internet provided to the students. I was wondering how the internet access was set up, in relation to bandwidth and blocked ports etc. The reason i ask is that I frequent a number of legit websites (such as ocremix.org) who are considering distributing their files via bit torrent to save on bandwidth. I understand that many universities block p2p programs due to the legality concerned with such networks. I don't plan on downloading anything illegal, mainly amateur (public domain) music and maybe a new linux distro when the time comes. It won't bother me too much if i can't but i was just curious, thats all.

Cheers.

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Are you talking internet to your room or internet to the comp labs?

In both cases i have no clue on what ports they do and do not allow.

Most linux distros are available through FTP and i very much doubt they would block that. Also, what port does BT run through?

ziggyboy

HSC
There's a way to get unlimited quota in the CompSci building (3). If you're nice and going to do a SITACS degree I'll tell you how. My official quota is still over 1000+ and I've downloaded heaps at 200k/sec. :D

Bone577

HSC
N/A
gmraso said:
all ports are blocked except http ports on the UoW network. the computer nerds can verify this
even ftp ports?

So much for going to UoW and playing online PS2... that is unless the PS2 uses HTTP port... which i doubt it does, lol.

Bone577

HSC
N/A
So any chance of getting your own internet access? Like ADSL or something? Will they let you?>

equiski

HSC
bobbie212 said:
i think u may b a lil attatched to the internet....
Heh, I'm not THAT attached to the internet :p.

Oh and Bone; I was refering to the room connection.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Like you said, Azureus can change what port it listens to and if that doesn't work i could always use a HTTP tunneler. I got my early entrance acceptance today; so I might see you in 2006 (i'm defering) if you're still there.

Edit: And no SITACS degree for me, doing Medical Radiation Physics, thanks anyway Ziggy. Depending on my financial situation and the cost of local phone calls; i might just get my own ADSL or Dial-Up connection if i need so :D.

Last edited:

equiski

HSC
In regard to that, is wireless network access availible in many areas of the campus?

Prepare

HSC
if you live in campus accomodation you have access to speedlink which you can buy additional MB.

But it is the biggest rip off ever. seriously $77 for a 1gig of data u really dont want to be doing to much downloading.

Quolnok

HSC
neuro_logik said:
Man your lucky, i need to get a UAI of 75
Last year UoW was leniant in [informatics] UAIs I needed 80, I got 65.9, I'm now almost done for the year. Although they may not be as leniant this year, so keep working on your marks.

Last edited:

neuro_logik

HSC
Quolnok said:
Last year UoW was leniant in [informatics] UAIs I needed 80, I got 65.9, I'm now almost done for the year. Although they may not be as leniant this year, so keep working on your marks.
Will do!, I've been working for the majority of this year... well 1/3 bludging, I have not lost hope yet... but if i dont meet the requirements I'll picket outside the Informatics faculty, and chant slogans lol

SYNeR

damn looks like I won't be leeching much :(

Anyone know if the uni has any FTP mirrors for distros such as debian or gentoo?..
ie: being able to constantly update my box without being included in data quota.
.. Or even just any ftps with loads of packages, etc..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)