uow subjects (1 Viewer)

nemesis07

{Shift2Drift}
HSC
how do i find out what my subjects are and what my timetable is like? I'm doing b information and communication techonology (network and systems technology). I also wanna second major in e commerce.. who do i talk to about that? Can anyone help me? I have no idea what im doing.. Thanks..

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
nemesis07 said:
how do i find out what my subjects are and what my timetable is like? I'm doing b information and communication techonology (network and systems technology). I also wanna second major in e commerce.. who do i talk to about that? Can anyone help me? I have no idea what im doing.. Thanks..
Go to http://www.uow.edu.au/student/timetables/ and look up your subjects. They'll tell you the time's they're on.

Also note that Network and Systems technology has more programming core than Computer Science does. :)

nemesis07

{Shift2Drift}
HSC
what school or whatever is info comm tech a part of?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I'm doing B Information and Communication Technology (eBusiness Management) and I have no idea. I've read the blue book and all the stuff on the website and it doesn't make any sense to me. I'm just going to work it out when I enrol.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Information Communication Technology is part of the School of Information Technology and Computer Science.

A little intuitiveness goes a long way. :)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I'm doing B Information and Communication Technology (eBusiness Management) and I have no idea. I've read the blue book and all the stuff on the website and it doesn't make any sense to me. I'm just going to work it out when I enrol.
yeah, they guide you through the process when enrolling. you will talk to faculty advisors and such

santaslayer

HSC
and plus....current students will be there wearing gaaay purple shirts with aliens on them...u should ask them for help if u have trouble on the computers enrolling...

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Without Wings said:
we enroll on computers? so i go all the way to wollongong to enrol on a computer?!?
yep.............

they take a photo of you with a web cam :D

make sure you sit back a bit or you will look funny.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I'm thinking I'll just do a second major in marketing that way I don't have to bother so much with choosing additional subjects.

nemesis07

{Shift2Drift}
HSC
yeah i wanna do a second major in e commerce.. who do i talk to about that? stupid difficult confusing enrollment crap.. and a foto? oh man... i'm gunna look demented!! :eek:s

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
nemesis07 said:
yeah i wanna do a second major in e commerce.. who do i talk to about that? stupid difficult confusing enrollment crap.. and a foto? oh man... i'm gunna look demented!! :eek:s
What degree are you doing first? Some degrees won't allow eCommerce unless there's enough room. Though you can technically get one approved by the Subdean and have a longer degree if applicable.

nemesis07

{Shift2Drift}
HSC
I'm doing infomation and communication tech (network and systems management).. so who would i talk to to get into that 2nd major and how do i do it soon to get a spot in it?

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
nemesis07 said:
I'm doing infomation and communication tech (network and systems management).. so who would i talk to to get into that 2nd major and how do i do it soon to get a spot in it?
According to the Course outline there is a major in Electronic Commerce available for your course of study. http://www.uow.edu.au/handbook/yr2005/inf_iacte.html <--- There is the list for the major in eCommerce, and http://www.uow.edu.au/handbook/yr2005/inf_iactb.html is the list of core subjects for a Bachelor of Information and Communication Technology (Network and System's Management). Basically, what you is choose subjects as the eCommerce major tells you to. You may be able to choose some eCommerce subjects in your first year, even though they're 200-level. If not, no worries.

Choose general electives for the two subjects in first year.
In second year, you have two electives, choose two 200-level eCommerce subjects (this is a year away, so don't worry now). In third year, choose one 200-level eCommerce subject, and three 300-level eCommerce subjects.

This can be done later on. In fact, in orientation/enrollment (whichever) you'll be lectured on your course. It should be explained there.

Scanorama

HSC
I've read 2 booklets sent from UOW, and Im so confused with the timetables and subjects. I will be doing Bachelor of Computer Science. thanks :)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Gough Whitlam said:
I've read 2 booklets sent from UOW, and Im so confused with the timetables and subjects. I will be doing Bachelor of Computer Science. thanks :)
In BCompSc your first year is divided normally in the following structure.
CSCI103 - Algorithms and Problem Solving
CSCI114 - Procedural Programming
MATH121 - Discrete Mathematics
STAT131 - Understanding Variation and Uncertainty
CSCI102 - Systems
CSCI124 - Object Programming
2 electives (from the General Schedule or the Computer Science schedule).

Most students choose CSCI103/CSCI114/MATH121 all in first session. They also do one elective. In second session (if all goes well) they choose CSCI102/CSCI124/STAT131 and another elective.
STAT131 runs both sessions and has no prerequisites, so you can also opt to do STAT131 in Autumn and have two electives in Spring. MATH121 runs only in Autumn.

If you fail CSCI103 or CSCI114, you'll need to repeat the subject in Spring in order to do CSCI124. That is, in order to enroll in CSCI124, students must receive passing grades or better in CSCI103 and CSCI114. If you have to repeat CSCI103/CSCI114, no worries, you can pick CSCI124 up in Autumn second year. However most, if not all 2nd year CompSc subjects require CSCI124 to be completed. So you won't be able to do those until Spring in second year.

Also some students decide that since they have so many electives in Computer Science, they want to pick a major that's not a CompSc major. Basically, the course is very relaxed, you can take a major in anything, however it's much more of a hassle to do a non-approved major (a language isn't an approved major, for example).

The CompSc majors (all but Computer Science have subjects from second year onwards, so they don't bother you) are:
- Computer Science (just meet the requirements of the core subjects).
- Digital Systems Security
- Distributed Systems
- Software Development
(These can be mixed, normally).

Approved double majors are:
- Computer Science and Biological Sciences.
- Computer Science and Business Information Systems
- Distributed Systems and Business Information Systesms
- Software Development and Business Information Systems
- Computer Science and Chemistry
- Computer Science and Electronic Commerce
- Distributed Systems and Electronic Commerce
- Software Development and Electronic Commerce
- Computer Science and Electronics
- Distributed Systems and Electronics
- Software Development and Electronics
- Computer Science and English Language Studies
- Computer Science and Geosciences
- Computer Science and Management
- Distributed Systems and Management
- Software Development and Management
- Digital Systems Security and Management
- Computer Science and Marketing
- Computer Science and Mathematics

The website with all the majors information is http://www.uow.edu.au/handbook/yr2005/comp_elecsubj.html and to see the Computer Science course outline http://www.uow.edu.au/handbook/yr2005/cour766.html and this page also has the Computer Science Schedule of Subjects. To see the General Schedule http://www.uow.edu.au/handbook/generalschedule05/ is the website.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)