Up and Coming Aussie bowlers!!! (1 Viewer)

kirabolton

HSC
oh gosh, i was previously worried about the future of the australian fast bowling attack, then a good few months ago ...well actually more like a year ago i watched a young guy called shaun tait bowl and was blown away. cricket fanatics, or even fans will know who he is now eh? he is brilliant. and then today watching australia a play i watched Lewis bowl and was impressed by him too...oh the relief

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Tait is an awesome prospect, he's quick and bowls a lot of wicket taking deliveries.

I see two problems that he might encounter, one being that he probably doesnt have the discipline to be a test match bowler yet, he bowls alot on both sides of the wicket and the batsmen can score a lot of boundaries of him. Against a technically excellent player he can get punished big time.

The other problem is his action. It's not the type of action that a coach would recommend to a young cricketer, as it puts huge strain on his shoulders and back, he's already had a couple of niggly injuries there and I don't think he'll last a few years before something major happens there.

Another good prospect that I know of, is Aaron Bird, an Aussie Under-19 player who's in the NSW squad now. He's the guy who famously broke Michael Slater's nose during a Grade game and is super impressive. There are others but I gotta think of em :)

dave_119

Banned
HSC
Pace Setter said:
http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2002/OCT/081771_CI_29OCT2002.html

That's an old article but still goes through a couple of pacers that havent broken into mass fame quite yet. There's a few others that arent in that article who'll hopefully help in shattering the myth of Aus having "nothing" or "only shaun tait" beyond the current crop of quickies.
that was 2 yra ago u dropkick, times hav changed...... there is a few now from NSW, John hastings (hawkesbury & nsw u/19) really reliable and handy bat, and moises henriques (st george & nsw u/19) reliable as well, henriques is 17 and all ready on a rookie contract with nsw, plus toured bangladesh with the aus u/19 world cup squad early last year at just 16

Pace Setter

But the ones in the article still have a chance.

This thread is about pace bowlers. Does Hastings bowl too? Moises Henriques I thought was decent at the u 19 world cup, without being "spectacular." He's been hyped up for a few years now and I heard he got Katich out cheaply once or twice-we'll see if he comes good when it counts at the top level.

ramanij

The next set of Aussie Fast Bowles is phenomenal Tait,Lee,Noffke,Watson,Braken,Brad williams however the spin department seems realy empty MAcgill is average and willb e punished for his bad balls(at least one or 2 per over) hauritz and Cameron white dont seem all that threatning.i really feel teh Batting deaprtment is the worry JL,Gilchrist, hayden Martyn there all 34-35
and in 2-3 years they will be gone. Clarke,Punter will still be tehre who will join them?

dave_119

Banned
HSC
played with hastings, when he was a penrith junior, known him since u/9s, and played reps with him, my bro played emerging blues against henriques etc fro about 4 yrs and he has imprved since then , just looks like he bowls line and length...

pace setter r u a moron?? i wrote hastings really reliable and a handy bat.. so hence i wrote about pace bowling dickhead.....

henriques did really well at the u/19 for a 16 year old, how can u say 'without being spectacular', u suck..... henriques will be at the top level soon, and will make u look like a dick, u will eat ur words

Pace Setter

dave_119 said:
henriques did really well at the u/19 for a 16 year old, how can u say 'without being spectacular', u suck..... henriques will be at the top level soon, and will make u look like a dick, u will eat ur words
I did call his performance, as a 17 year old, "decent." You went over the top a bit with what "without being spectacular" could've meant.

On spinners, havent seen him bowl but there's a leggie from nsw called Liam Zammit who's been hyped up as a shoe-in for the future. The other young spinners around the pura cup look like they need a lot of improvement though. On the batsmen, I didnt think we had a problem? Just look at some of the ones going around in the domestic system.

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
yeah, along wit moses there is another guy at st george called phil wells, good top order bat and 1st change bowler, already got some wickets and a few 50s in sydney 1sts and hes onli 17...remember the name....

dave_119

Banned
HSC
saw phil wells play yesterday verse penrith in the pgs (poivedin gray for those un-aware) he didnt look fast, but bowled line and length, he bats round 7-8.. which is handy... liam zammit, 1st for penrith already played for nsw, should make himself a spot in the nsw team in the future

kirabolton

HSC
brad williams? isn't he just as old as say gillespie. and about taits action, yeah i suppose that's true that he'll probably get injured seriously, especially...well most fast bowlers do but he does tend to put a lot of pressure on himself

phungus

HSC
angelduck said:
are there many young spin bowlers coming up at all?
Hauritz and White are the only ones that come to mind. It'll be interesting to see where Aussie cricket goes once the "seniors" all retire.

CMJ

HSC
Nathan Hauritz has struggled this year in taking wickets at pura cup level. Cameron White is not a big turner of the ball but his batting was pretty good in the Australia A games.
Jason Krejza has played quite a bit for NSW this season as an off spinner and is a handy bat. I haven't seen Liam Zammitt play. The other young spinners going around are Dan Cullen (SA - playing in the PM's XI today), Xavier Doherty (Tas) and Beau Casson (WA).

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
ramanij said:
The next set of Aussie Fast Bowles is phenomenal Tait,Lee,Noffke,Watson,Braken,Brad williams however the spin department seems realy empty MAcgill is average and willb e punished for his bad balls(at least one or 2 per over) hauritz and Cameron white dont seem all that threatning.i really feel teh Batting deaprtment is the worry JL,Gilchrist, hayden Martyn there all 34-35
and in 2-3 years they will be gone. Clarke,Punter will still be tehre who will join them?
Hmm.. Watson is a batsman who can bowl a bit, Williams is old, Lee is only a year younger than Gillespie, Noffke I haven't heard a great deal about lately. Macgill is 2 years younger than Warne, so he's hardly next generation material. If only he was younger, because he's far better than 'average' - http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/PLAYERS/AUS/M/MACGILL_SCG_02004376/ - He's a bit expensive, and his average is higher than Warne's, but so's his strike rate. He's probably the 2nd best leggy in the world and a top class spinner. If only he was ready to step in after Warne instead of Cameron White or Nathan Hauritz.

Batsmen I wouldn't worry too much about though. Of the current top 7, Lehmann, Langer, Hayden, Martyn and Gilly are not going to be around for a lot longer. To step in will be: Katich, D Hussey, M Hussey, Hodge and Haddin. Probably these 5 will all be of a slightly lower standard, but they'll still get the job done. It's still Mcgrath and Warne that we'll miss the most by far.

CMJ

HSC
I think a reason that Clarke is not used much, as the other allrounders in the side like Symonds, Watson, Lehmann and Hogg are the more preferred bowling options atm, when backing the 3 pace bowlers Lee, McGrath and Gillespie. Clarke did bowl well in the one day series they held in India a couple of years ago, where there is generally more spin friendly pitches. Another reason, is that the they might want him to just concentrate on his batting especially if he is to become an opener fulltime at ODI level.

max

That which u feel becomes
HSC
angelduck said:
yeah, u'd have thought ponting would have used him in the last final., after watson got injured and Lehman was being hit for many a boundry though

Either because Clarke didn't want to bowl, Ponting didn't rate him above Lehmann's experience, or the team possibly didn't need him.

Of the Aussie future bowling line-up post world cup, the combination of Lee-Tait will still be the premier attacking pair in the world. What Australia should concentrate on is someone to fill Mcgrath's mould who can consistently bowl good line and length. Nobody at the moment has satisfied me.
Spin options will also be a worry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)