Update me on VSU (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I agree, I have absolutely no problem with essential services and I actually think they're great.
I love that single mothers can come to uni and have their children looked after them., I love that we have advocacy against the uni its self in the event that the uni treats us unfairly... There are many aspects of the unions which I 'love'.

walrusbear

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I agree, I have absolutely no problem with essential services and I actually think they're great.
I love that single mothers can come to uni and have their children looked after them., I love that we have advocacy against the uni its self in the event that the uni treats us unfairly... There are many aspects of the unions which I 'love'.
so where in the VSU policy is that protected?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well alot of those things I believe could be quite easily replaced under a non-union system (if we are to believe VSU means the end of student unionism, which i'm not too sure about). For example; Child Care.

The government should give universities the funds to provide adequate child care.

walrusbear

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Well alot of those things I believe could be quite easily replaced under a non-union system (if we are to believe VSU means the end of student unionism, which i'm not too sure about). For example; Child Care.

The government should give universities the funds to provide adequate child care.
what about sport and culture?
btw has the government mentioned any of this? maybe you young liberals could tell them

walrusbear

HSC
withoutaface said:
A few pros don't necessarily outweigh a truckload of cons.
i see it the other way around
people saving a few bucks comes at a severe price

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Culture is something that I don't believe others should be forced into contributing too. I believe you can have 'culture' without having everyone contribute (as happens now) and without the money of everyone.

walrusbear

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Culture is something that I don't believe others should be forced into contributing too. I believe you can have 'culture' without having everyone contribute (as happens now) and without the money of everyone.
i disagree
that stance assumes a denegrated value placed on culture
it's an aspect of society that needs funding as much as anything
even if you don't particularly focus your time on it

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I reckon if we merged all these VSU threads together we'd have the largest thread on the whole of bos.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
How much money do you need to have 'culture' at universities?
I have no problem with parties every now and then, special days etc.. I think all that's cool.

How many different types of societies do you need tho?
And should they really be allowed to gain funds from other people merely for their own benefit ( I know you can argue that anyone can join, but there are artificial boundaries on say... "the uws lebanese society", that people probably can't in reality always get over).

walrusbear

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
How much money do you need to have 'culture' at universities?
I have no problem with parties every now and then, special days etc.. I think all that's cool.

How many different types of societies do you need tho?
And should they really be allowed to gain funds from other people merely for their own benefit ( I know you can argue that anyone can join, but there are artificial boundaries on say... "the uws lebanese society", that people probably can't in reality always get over).
that's not really an attitude to culture anyone can have
it's value can't always be individualised

kow_dude

HSC
If the compulsory fees were a little cheaper, then i wouldn't mind paying for them.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
They should reduce the SRC and Union fees by a third to a half, and scrap the Sports fee completely.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Asquithian said:
The University should scap the CON. Sell it off.
Or how bout we get everyone from main campus to pay for their instruments.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Asquithian said:
I actually dont think the con should be scapped.
I know, I was just making the point that ridiculous analogies often have even more ridiculous corrollaries.
Asquithian said:
applying the usual VSU argument

Well I stopped playing music years ago. I mean why should the university fund such 'useless' pursuits. Sure its not funded by the the union. But this is a question of why the university chooses to run such programs. Why should I be part of an institution that supports <insert minority> (in this case people who go to university for music)?
Cue user-pays principle. As you well know it's my opinion that everyone should fund their own higher education completely through HECS, and as such the introduction of such a program has negligable effect upon myself because it is being funded by those who use it and only those who use it.

K

katie_tully

Asquithian said:
HECS is not user pays. The rest of the cost of your degree is funded by tax payers. Many of which would like the user pays applied to uni education.
True, but in the long run we end up paying HECS back through our tax anyway, so in a sense we are paying.

..Unless of course you pay upfront.

walrusbear

HSC
Phanatical said:
They should reduce the SRC and Union fees by a third to a half, and scrap the Sports fee completely.
i just lost respect for your stance

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well I stopped playing music years ago. I mean why should the university fund such 'useless' pursuits. Sure its not funded by the the union. But this is a question of why the university chooses to run such programs. Why should I be part of an institution that supports <insert minority> (in this case people who go to university for music)?
There is absolutely no comparison there, but yes if a proportion of my university fees were somehow going towards music I would be upset about that.

"For everything else free market/user pays rules"
Why wouldn't you want the market/user pays to be dictating everything that it possibly can with a sense of fairness? I don't believe they have to wait for a specific failure always either, they can make calculated assumptions also.

Last edited:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
What's wrong with my stance? I'm a music student - SU Sport spent a grand total of $0 on the Conservatorium and its students last year. As well as the fact that only about 1/10th (at most) of Con students use ANY SU Sport facilities on main campus, there are NO sports scholarships held by students in my faculty.

It's a lot of money that Conservatorium students are forced to hand over - especially since there is no equivalent Music fund. The Union attempts to provide for the Arts, but total expenditure on Music students was essentially 50c per undergraduate student.

$144 for Sports.
50c for Music.

Brilliant.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
You obviously didn't read between the lines well enough...
However Just because phanatical doesn't look the sporting type physically
He was just attacking your character, you're fat so obviously your opinions on issues such as sport funding should have no importance. It's usually the sorta thing people do when they can't attack your argument... It's very hard to show that the people at the conservatorium should have to pay the sporting fee (or at least the equal one) considering that none of them have ready access to sporting equipment compared with the other students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)