Upgrade Desktop/Laptop? (1 Viewer)

Evilo

HSC
So i've been thinking hard about it, and ive asked many people. So i'll see what you guys think.

Currently i have a small toshiba laptop which is basically a word processor (can play a few small games, but its 2.5 years old). 1gb ram, Pentium M 1.6ghz - 80gb space. I also have a 500GB external HDD.

During the university year i live in a single dorm room and enjoy my creature comforts - movies etc. I intend to use the computer for office, a file sharing software, and watching movies (hence the big screen). Although im not big on the games, i'll probably want to "get" NFS Carbon.

Ok so the question is - which one should i choose
a) Buy a laptop & buy a seperate 22" screen.
b) Buy a Desktop (same specs as laptop) and a 22" screen

Pro laptop - Can move it around to lectures etc (although i doubt ill actually bring it,but i have the ability to)
Neg Laptop - will be about $300 more expensive than desktop (specs wise) and will be another ~$350 for 22" screen

Pro-Desktop - Cheaper, Can add modules etc
Neg Desktop - can't move at all

So which one would you choose? Desktop or laptop?

PS - Forgot to mention, im keeping the old laptop as a "side computer" for emails, file sharing etc. the battery is dead on the laptop, so its basically constant power point material

hmmmmmmmmm.... Still cant decide :S

danielbardouh

HSC
hey mate, ill get straight to the point then, personally, i recommend you buy a laptop.. its got heaps more features... the only problem is how much you're willing to pay!
you can get a GREAT laptop off ebay for really really cheap with a 17" screen which i reckon would be big enough, i dont see the need to buy a seperate monitor, just a waste of money ...
desktops stink for millions of reasons .. dont go anywhere near em... too much electricity, cords, noise etc etc too annoying.. a laptop's way easier to handle and maintain!!!
i recently bought a HP Pavilion laptop off ebay for 2000 its got a 17" widescreen and the best specs you can possibly ask for!
so i reckon GO FOR A HIGH QUALITY LAPTOP and buy it off ebay, they're heaps cheaper;)

Evilo

HSC
Oooo I'd get a laptop with a 12" screen or something piss weak like that, won't need a 17" cos thats what the big screen would be. Also it would be light for travelling.
Ok so one point for laptop :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)