UQ vs ANU (1 Viewer)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
So any Queenslanders here? What would you say would be the advantages of UQ law over ANU law, and vice versa
It's bloody boiling in Brisbane for one
eh
Oh, any advisory days in Brisbane for ANU?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I guess it depends whether you like surfing or ski-ing more...

There may be an advisory day in brisbane - there definantly will be in Syd and Melb.

ANU Law has the advantage of a higher profile and pertinently in your case a better shot at public service jobs eg DFAT...

Oh and Canberra can be a pretty awesome place to live. It's so small everything is nice and close there's cheap accomodation riding distance from uni, lots of public services (provided by the fat of NSW GST), a big night life and its easy to walk/cheap to cab home after a big night.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
loquasagacious said:
I guess it depends whether you like surfing or ski-ing more...

There may be an advisory day in brisbane - there definantly will be in Syd and Melb.

ANU Law has the advantage of a higher profile and pertinently in your case a better shot at public service jobs eg DFAT...

Oh and Canberra can be a pretty awesome place to live. It's so small everything is nice and close there's cheap accomodation riding distance from uni, lots of public services (provided by the fat of NSW GST), a big night life and its easy to walk/cheap to cab home after a big night.
I would like to add that UQ scholarships are lame.
the end. :/

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Not that ANU scholarships are any better. :p

Sorry, there will not be any more advisory days before uni starts (besides tomorrow in Canberra).

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
cherryblossom said:
I would like to add that UQ scholarships are lame.
the end. :/
Why even bother making this thread, honestly. I suspect that you decided a LONG time ago which university you want to go to. You know the pros and cons of each, so just hurry up and decide on where you want to live for the next 5 years and be done with it. :)

Btw, congratulations on your marks, are Sydney and Melbourne universities options at all?

Last edited:

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
neo_o said:
Why even bother making this thread, honestly. I suspect that you decided a LONG time ago which university you want to go to. You know the pros and cons of each, so just hurry up and decide on where you want to live for the next 5 years and be done with it. :)

Btw, congratulations on your marks, are Sydney and Melbourne universities options at all?
You suspected right, however, my going to ANU depended on getting that damn scholarship
Um I think I could get into law with EAS butttt the money factor is a problem
USyd Architecture said I could have a Deans Merit Scholarship I think it is but, that's not great. Didn't apply for Melbourne
Thanks Slide rule. What did you get? Don't come to ANU, you're smarter than me, and that's not allowed!
Come on, UQ law people. I went to the faculty the other day. It was so tiny :/ Is ANU tiny? I like sandstone though. I was going to visit the colleges but it was too hot and I cbf walking. Ohh I want a UQ forum. I'm going to suggest that.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
cherryblossom said:
You suspected right, however, my going to ANU depended on getting that damn scholarship
USyd Architecture said I could have a Deans Merit Scholarship I think it is but, that's not great. Didn't apply for Melbourne
Thanks Slide rule. What did you get? Don't come to ANU, you're smarter than me, and that's not allowed!
Come on, UQ law people. I went to the faculty the other day. It was so tiny :/ Is ANU tiny? I like sandstone though. I was going to visit the colleges but it was too hot and I cbf walking. Ohh I want a UQ forum. I'm going to suggest that.
See, I'd thought that you'd decided on UQ!

http://campusmap.anu.edu.au/displaymap.asp?grid=ef32

The first 5 links on that part of the map show pictures of the different parts of the law faculty. I'm not sure how it compares to other faculties, but it's probably larger than UNSW's current law faculty (the only other one that i've seen), since the libraries and computer labs are self contained. Then again, all I saw outside of it was a funny lift in the library block going off into oblivion. So... who knows? Maybe they're trying to hide something?

Is size really THAT important anyway?

Last edited:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
In case it is as far as I know ANU is pretty big ;).

Purely campus wise it is pretty big. In evrything except beaches ANU>UQ.

As far as money goes if you can't get YA or a scholarship just get a job - it worked for me (though definatly consider only doing two or three courses if you go that route).

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
loquasagacious said:

As far as money goes if you can't get YA or a scholarship just get a job - it worked for me (though definatly consider only doing two or three courses if you go that route).
Who works? Honestly! I'm going to try it next year though, see how it goes. Maybe it'll agree with me?

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
the library and computers are within the fac at UQ as well...I was quite amazed at how short a time it took to walk the corridor lol

I am trying to addy but ah yeah. I've applied at about ten places and just failed the coles myer thing lol...I think now is a crap time to apply for work. There just isn't any existing

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
cherryblossom said:
the library and computers are within the fac at UQ as well...I was quite amazed at how short a time it took to walk the corridor lol

I am trying to addy but ah yeah. I've applied at about ten places and just failed the coles myer thing lol...I think now is a crap time to apply for work. There just isn't any existing
Uh, those places take forever. Don't bother. They have HUNDREDS upon HUNDREDS of people submit applications online, then lead you on a merry dance for months afterwards. Just get a job from the Canberra Times when you get down here.

Last edited:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Its MUCH MUCH easier to apply for work when you're 'on the ground' eg actually in Canberra.

The online apps are largely a waste of time - definantly put one in with Woolies and Coles though (they'll offer you a job eventually - and you might want one when they do).

The funnist story I can recount is that Dickson Woolies was desperately short of staff but were recieving no applicants - because of a stuff up in there system all the applications were being sent to a non-monitored server.

On a more positive note jobs around canberra have a very high turn-over rate I would suggest if you do decide on the ANU to have enough savings (or parental support) to last for at least a month and apply for everything and anything when you get here. Feb there will probably be a high demand and low supply so I wouldn't hold your breath for getting one immediately but by say march there should be loads around.

On the other hand it can be a good idea to apply in the february period - you will be able to steal a march on other first years who won't have thought that far ahead, will be to busy with accomodation or with O-week festivities. It's how I scored my first job down here and in march I upgraded.

Just do a good resume and apply everywhere. I would suggest particularly coles (manukaand belconnen), woolies (dickson and belconnen), Target (civic), Supabarn (Civic and Kaleen), K-mart (Belconnen), Myer (belconnen and civic), DJs (civic), Simply Fresh (Civic). These are probably the biggest employers. Oh and as a note the civic supabarn will probably be putting on more staff when the new store opens next year.

Other good sources of employment are cafes/restuarants and of course tutoring.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
loquasagacious said:
Its MUCH MUCH easier to apply for work when you're 'on the ground' eg actually in Canberra.

The online apps are largely a waste of time - definantly put one in with Woolies and Coles though (they'll offer you a job eventually - and you might want one when they do).

The funnist story I can recount is that Dickson Woolies was desperately short of staff but were recieving no applicants - because of a stuff up in there system all the applications were being sent to a non-monitored server.

On a more positive note jobs around canberra have a very high turn-over rate I would suggest if you do decide on the ANU to have enough savings (or parental support) to last for at least a month and apply for everything and anything when you get here. Feb there will probably be a high demand and low supply so I wouldn't hold your breath for getting one immediately but by say march there should be loads around.

On the other hand it can be a good idea to apply in the february period - you will be able to steal a march on other first years who won't have thought that far ahead, will be to busy with accomodation or with O-week festivities. It's how I scored my first job down here and in march I upgraded.

Just do a good resume and apply everywhere. I would suggest particularly coles (manukaand belconnen), woolies (dickson and belconnen), Target (civic), Supabarn (Civic and Kaleen), K-mart (Belconnen), Myer (belconnen and civic), DJs (civic), Simply Fresh (Civic). These are probably the biggest employers. Oh and as a note the civic supabarn will probably be putting on more staff when the new store opens next year.

Other good sources of employment are cafes/restuarants and of course tutoring.
Is Phillip anywhere near the uni? And where's Acton
Because I applied for Big W and things down in Canberra as well as Brisbane, where I currently am. A lot of places are like, we don't need anyone now but when uni goes back we'll lose people, so I figure I've got a foot in the door. But my resume and things have my Brissie address and phone so it's probably a waste of time if I relocate.
Do you mean tutoring for a college or just you know sticking up ads on noticeboards?
thanks heaps you two

Keen

MD
HSC
UQ is a fantastic uni and held quite highly as far as law goes. Although as ANU's more in NSW's you'll see more people here talking about it. I mean the uni's young, but maybe if you like to work in Canberra with all the pollies then probably (personally not a big fan of Canberra or the people I've met from there). UQ's has huge prestige in Australia and it's campus is fantastic and beautiful. And how can you go past Qld, beautiful beaches, weather and most importantly the people.

Keen

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
cherryblossom said:
Is Phillip anywhere near the uni? And where's Acton
Because I applied for Big W and things down in Canberra as well as Brisbane, where I currently am. A lot of places are like, we don't need anyone now but when uni goes back we'll lose people, so I figure I've got a foot in the door. But my resume and things have my Brissie address and phone so it's probably a waste of time if I relocate.
Do you mean tutoring for a college or just you know sticking up ads on noticeboards?
thanks heaps you two
Acton IS the university :). Phillip is in Woden, one of the three major centres in Canberra, and you can get to Woden by bus from outside the colleges. It's not too far away, and is just south of the lake (ANU is on the north side). I think he means tutoring by sticking ads up. Though, you may be able to get work tutoring Chinese in English and tutoring people doing Chinese. Actually, there's a very good idea! I'm the best at ideas.

Last edited:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Oh www.whereis.com.au is your friend ;).

As far as tutoring what I was referring to covers the full gammut - responding to adds in the canberra times is a good start though (and how I scored my tutoring gig).

lulu2

HSC
loquasagacious said:

about the job thing, it looks like im gonna have 2 work though uni so i realize maybe a combined degree isnt gonnna happen. by 2-3 courses do u mean to do uni part time?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
lulu2 said:
about the job thing, it looks like im gonna have 2 work though uni so i realize maybe a combined degree isnt gonnna happen. by 2-3 courses do u mean to do uni part time?
2 courses (half the normal load of 4) is considered as being part time. Single and combined degrees have the same standard load of 4 courses each semester, combined degrees just take a year or two longer. If I were you, I'd try taking a full load in your first semester to see if you can cope before you consider only taking three.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
To clear up Neo's post 1-2 courses is part time, 3-4 is full time. I would suggest starting with 4 and if that gets too much then withdraw from one.

Personally speaking I did 4 in first sem but because of the number of hours I was working, the 5am starts my job required and of course my sucky maths skills I did pretty atrociously and was running my body into the ground. Sem2 I started with a three course load and then decided to drop to a two course load because I wanted to be able to actually relax at all and because the course I dropped was straight after work. If the third course hadn't been on straight after work or I had got my new hours by then (eg no more 5am starts for me) I wouldn't have dropped it and could have coped fine.

Remember though in terms of working you won't need to do it all the way through uni. eg in march I become eligible for YA as an independent (proved by earning $18000 and being at of high school for 18months) at that point I will drop back my work to just some casual work and my cash in hand tutoring.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
cherryblossom said:
Oh, UQ is a BRILLIANT university - one of the top 3 in Australia, I'd say. I didn't apply there, however; I'd be leaving all my family and friends behind and besides, ANU is a strong contender. Re a UQ forum: I'll support your recommendation. UQ is too important a university to not have a forum for.

My UAI was 96.35. 97 in 3u maths, 92 in 4u maths, 90 in adv Eng, 78 in chem, 82 in SDD. You kicked my arse! But it gets me into my degree by like 11 points. :p Though I won't get a scholarship. :(

Oh and I'm coming to ANU whether you like it or not. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)