Uranium Decay (1 Viewer)

philippaC

HSC
How do you write the overall equation for the decay of uranium i.e. to lead?

samwell

HSC
it is a long process of alpha emissionz. look at conquerin chem to see the diagriam of the decay.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
YannY said:
overall it would be U->5He+Pb
That is incorrect. As samwell pointed out, U decay involve step wise process involving alpha and beta negative decay. Each step has their own half lives.

Back in 02, I remeber it was necessary to remmeber the decay steps. But since then, syllabus has been amended, and you no longer need to remember it.

VladimirNikolai

HSC
Hey guys,

I've seen this diagram before (in fact we had to draw it from data), but I think what phillipa needs to know is how to write it as a simple equation. I know I have a booklet to do, as an assessment, and one of the questions is that it gives you the aforementioned table, then says "Write the equation for the change". I have no idea how to do this either.

twilight1412

HSC
well for an overall equation from start to finish ....
U --> Xe- + YHe + Pb
where X is the number of beta decays
and Y is the number of alpha decays?

although i think this method is slightly dodgy i believe it answers the question

VladimirNikolai

HSC
Righto, I'll get back to you tomorrow after I ask my teacher. It sounds like it could be right. I mean, they only give you 2 lines.

VladimirNikolai

HSC
Sorry for the double post, but I talked to my teacher. apparently, at least for me, you have to write out the ENTIRE series of equations. i.e. U235 --> Th234 + He, continuing until you get to the lead. It sucks, yeah.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Yea, I heard individual "elite" schools require their students to know how to write eqns from beginning to finish.

You have my sympathy =/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)