Urban Places: Megacities (Mumbai) (1 Viewer)

cottonboy99

HSC
Hey guys

I'm struggling to find quality sources and information as I need to answer the following question 'Identify and describe a range of challenges that are evident in Mumbai and discuss and evaluate the responses that are made to address these challenges. The syllabus dot point relating to this is under mega cities. Generally there is a lack of information on all the dot points of mega cities both in the textbooks and online.

Any help would be appreciated.Thank you.

Kolmias

HSC
I did a quick search. These quotes might help you start off.

"About 700 million litres of water, out of a daily supply of 3500 million litres, is lost by way of water thefts, illegal connections and leakages, per day in Mumbai" Issue: poor public infrastructure means lose of resources

"Trains are overcrowded during peak hours, with nine-car trains of rated capacity 1,700 passengers, actually carrying around 4,500 passengers at peak hours."

"Dharavi slum is located in Mumbai (formally Bombay) in India. India’s and Mumbai's biggest slum is known as Dharavi. There are a million people crammed into one square mile in Dharavi. At the edge of Dharavi the newest arrivals come to make their homes on waste land next to water pipes in slum areas. They set up home illegally amongst waste on land that is not suitable for habitation. In the wet monsoon season these people have huge problems living on this low lying marginal land. Many of the people here come from many parts of India as a result of the push and pull factors of migration.

Conditions in the slum
In the slum people have to live with many problems. People have to go to the toilet in the street and there are open sewers. Children play amongst sewage waste and doctors deal with 4,000 cases a day of diphtheria and typhoid. Next to the open sewers are water pipes, which can crack and take in sewage. Dharavi slum is based around this water pipe built on an old rubbish tip. The people have not planned this settlement and have no legal rights to the land. There are also toxic wastes in the slum including hugely dangerous heavy metals. Dharavi is made up of 12 different neighbourhoods and there are no maps or road signs. The further you walk into Dharavi from the edge the more permanent and solid the structures become. People live in very small dwellings (e.g. 12X12ft), often with many members of their extended families. "

http://www.coolgeography.co.uk/A-le...mbai/Mumbai.htm#Counterurbanisation_in_Mumbai

Good luck! Also, a good idea would be to look at how globalization has changed Mumbai.

blackbird_14

HSC
Kolmias has given you a pretty decent springboard for issues, but the question also asks for responses, which in my opinion, are always much harder to find, let alone a response that you could write ~70-100 words about. I don't know how much I could help you without literally researching the topic for you, but it might help to write down all the issues you've talked about in class, in your textbook, or issues you've found online, then go on the prowl for responses in Mumbai to any of these issues. It's much easier to bullshit about some issue, say overpopulation/sanitation/health care, than the response to it.

Make sure your response has stats (social sciences love stats), and the article (on a response) you found has what it's doing right now (and its dated within the last 5 years), and you could say positive and negative things about it.

Hope this helps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)