Urgent: Dealing with others' Plagiarism (1 Viewer)

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Alright. Worst nightmare come true.

BBA315 essay. Due tomorrow. Was 'optional' group work (ie could do in groups, or individually, your choice). Was approached by a girl I've worked with in other subjects, who's always busy, but has fairly good output. Said that'd be great. Off we went, doing our respective parts.

Now, pulling her and my parts together, I find much of her stuff is directly copy and pasted from websites (I love google). That said, she's also provided some input into my content, but there are large portions of text that are just... blatantly plagiarised. (if that's how you spell it). So, she's done some work... but plagarised the rest of her 'work'.

So, calling the lecturer, you get voicemail (he's not the most contactable of people), and that's full, so don't bother leaving a message, as a) it'll not fit, and b) he obviously never checks them.

This is due tomorrow.

Besides resolving never to do groupwork again, and always be suspicious of anyones' work other than your own....
... What do you do?

(Already got a course of action planned out, but interested to hear others' approaches).

X

xeuyrawp

You really need to make sure you cover yourself.

If your tutor and convener are busy, go see the head of the department or the dean of the division?

HSC
N/A
One of my friends has been through this before. Same groupwork situation, same "crap I'm going to get punished for this plaguarism which I didn't do" thing.

They ended up telling the lecturer, and got good marks, except for the girl.

X

xeuyrawp

100% make sure you get your complains officially noted by someone important, though.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Stick a bomb under her seat, and get rid of the root of the problems.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Skittled said:
Was approached by a girl I've worked with in other subjects, who's always busy, but has fairly good output.
Do you mean putout?? ;)
ultra-zingy!

Have you spoken to her about it? If so, what did she say?

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
How much is it worth?
I guess it's too late to do another essay from scratch as your OWN work but then again it's not.. at least in that sense your not plagiarising.. it's better than nothing right? What was your other option?

ALLLICE

HSC
fernando said:
How much is it worth?
I guess it's too late to do another essay from scratch as your OWN work but then again it's not.. at least in that sense your not plagiarising.. it's better than nothing right? What was your other option?
yeah, but you'd still get zero

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Will talk to the unit convenor. Have paraphrased the direct plagiarism out, so that should do for the moment. Admittedly, the unit doesn't seem organised well enough to pick it up, but you can't run any chances!

Thanks all; very useful to hear others' opinions & experiences!

Last edited:

iwannarock

HSC
did you even talk to the girl that wrote it?

atleast tell her or ask her to fix it up before getting the convener involved.

you're breaking the golden rule.

but i guess it is too late now.

so now i guess you gotta save yourself.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
iwannarock said:
did you even talk to the girl that wrote it?

atleast tell her or ask her to fix it up before getting the convener involved.

you're breaking the golden rule.

but i guess it is too late now.

so now i guess you gotta save yourself.
But I cannot, save you!

I can't even save myself!

So just save yourself!

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Not to steal Steve's thread, but I'm bored at work....

He did talk to her a few times, actually. She said that she had referenced her points... The only problem was that the copy-pastes were whole chunky paragraphs from wikipedia (which were easily found on google), and her 'reference' was to the references the wiki article used, not wikipedia itself. And the 'reference' was only provided at the end of a whole paragraph.

It all seems a little... off and odd. Surely any dumb-ass knows that when you say 'reference' it means reference the article where you found it, not to use the references of the article you copy-pasted from.

Sigh. Oh well, its all over and done with now thank goodness. I have my de-stressed boy back, hurrah!

HSC
N/A
how stupid do you have to be to copy and paste from wikipedia for a handin assessment? like, SERIOUSLY?

Tabris

HSC
Thats a danger with group work, or economists calls it, shirking and free-riding.

The safe bet for me was, write the whole thing myself and let them give me some feedback. Did 4000+ words for an easy research assignment (sources were given) by myself and the let the group members review it, easy for them since they were busy with 4 subs and fairer for me coz i was only doing 3...

Also beware of some fobby types, referencing and plagerism is an easy trap for the new ones.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Like this time my friend had to work with an asian to make/code a game, and the night before, he showed me what he had, and I found out (through google was interested why there was a picture of portia de rossi in a videogame for kids) that it had been plagiarised, he raged but was a laugh.

</story>

HSC
N/A
Tabris said:
Also beware of some fobby types, referencing and plagerism is an easy trap for the new ones.
You wouldn't expect it of a third-year, though. Or anyone else doing a 300-level unit. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)