• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

URGENT - Edit Essay (1 Viewer)

theodore0307

HSC
Standard English Essay

JFK - Inaugural Address

I need help improving my essay. Its the body that's the problem. Below is the body part of the essay. Can you please edit it to help me our cause I have to write an in-class essay this Monday and I need help.

John F Kennedy’s “Inaugural Address” was delivered on 20 January 1961, mainly addressing the relationship of America with other nations and their need to be united against an implied common threat “communism”. Distinctive voice is achieved within John F Kennedy’s speech through the use of figurative language and language techniques

The use of anaphora within the “Inaugural Address” creates a distinctive voice. John F Kennedy uses anaphora through the repetition of the phrase “Let both sides” in order to emphasise the idea of uniting and working together, showing the importance of it to the audience. Through the use of anaphora, Kennedy is conveying that for the first time, all nations need to unite and work together to develop as one. The repetition unifies the audience, by showing similarities and emphasising them through it

Throughout the “Inaugural Address”, John F Kennedy uses parallelism to achieve a distinctive voice. Through the use of parallelism, Kennedy introduces the theme of continuity, which he uses throughout his speech. An example of parallelism used within the speech is “…ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country”, where Kennedy is trying to unite and involve everyone together, highlighting the idea of being united. He is trying to portray to the audience that they, the audience need to contribute and to work in developing the country, and that it can’t develop by itself.

The use of inclusive language is used to create a distinctive voice within the “Inaugural Address” of John F Kennedy. Throughout the speech, inclusive language, such as “we” is used in order to create a greater connection with the audience, making them feel more involved and spoken to on a personal level. It also gives an effect of unity as it addresses everyone as a whole. This helps support what Kennedy’s addressing. Through the use of “we” Kennedy conveys that they, the audience need to unite and work together.

Kennedy creates a distinctive voices via the use of metaphors in order to show how the United States has changed from the way it once was, and how it will continue to change. Kennedy uses the metaphor “that the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans” to state that power and enlightenment has been passed onto a new generation. It also represents that the older generations passed down their freedom and heritage to the newer generation. It show that it’s the audience’s turn in line to accomplish something for the nation, as did past generations.

The use of biblical allusion within the “Inaugural Address” creates a distinctive voice, while adding importance and establishing the significance of the speech. This is achieved through “Almighty God” and “Hand of God”. Biblical allusions reflect hope and guidance to the audience, creating a greater connection between the audience and Kennedy. It also shows that through the “hand of God”, we came to existence and we are all equal, and should be united.

Thanks so much

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The issue is you never define what the distinctive voice is. So the techniques and quote add together to prove a point each time, but we have no idea how that point is relevant to the overall voice of the piece. Try stating in your first line what distinctive voice is trying to be achieved. The you can go into depth with your quote and technique.

That means you need to be very clear in your opening what the purpose of the speech is (which you've touched on) and the methods, both thematic and general technique, to achieve this.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Hm I think using "distinctive voice" doesn't add enough conviction in your essay. It feels a bit weak. Also you need to be a lot more concise with what your saying. Use a thesaurus and find words other than "distinctive" because it feels repetitive.

Structurally, you need an overarching thesis statement and topic sentences too. A lot of your techniques can be combined into one paragraph if you had that topic sentence structure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)