• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Urgent help needed with my atrocious speech! (1 Viewer)

El Magnifico

HSC
This English speech is driving me to the point where i really just want to bang my head against a desk until it goes away. I would really appreciate some feedback on how i can better this 'attempt' at a speech. (also left out the paragraph on setting)

--------------------------------

" You should prepare a speech where you make a comparative review of the two texts (10 things i hate about you and Taming of the shrew) based on the aspects you have chosen (choices are plot, setting, characters, language, values and attitudes, medium or production) Your speech should also discuss whether the transformation has been successful or not, with reasons provided to support your view. "

To bring to life a modern version of a 16th century play one would have to have the perfect blend of differences and similarities; an integration of both worlds. Gil Junger and Touchstone Pictures have done just this by bringing a breath of fresh air to Williams Shakespeare comedy ‘The Taming of the Shrew’ with their contemporary teen-romance film ’10 Things I Hate about You’.

Shakespeare’s 16th Century play ‘Taming of the shrew’ depicts a society structured around patriarchal values and the conventional standards of the Elizabethan people. Although a distinguished classic ‘Taming of the shrew’ and its values are outdated; as people of current society have come to an understanding of the concept of relationship equality. Junger has given a new life to Shakespeare’s tale in the rejuvenated modernized adaptation ’10 Things I Hate About You’. I believe that Junger has made a very successful transformation from 16th century play to 20th century cinema, which is clearly evident through the aspects of plot, characters, language and theme.

The plots of ‘Taming of the Shrew’ and ‘10 Things I Hate About You’ are very alike in many facets. The basic outlines of ‘Taming of the Shrew’ and ‘10 Things I Hate About You’ involve a fathers desire to not let his daughter Bianca be in a relationship with anyone until his elder Katarina does. Both stories involve multiple men wanting to woo the more attractive, obedient Bianca and with everyone turning a blind eye to the more shrewish Katarina. Bianca’s admirers agree to substantially fund someone to act interested in Katarina, so they in turn have a chance with Bianca. Both stories end with Katarina freely being with the payed off man, thus being seen as tamed. There are notable discrepancies between plot; however it the central ideas and themes which main intake making it such a successful transformation.

The contemporary ’10 Things I Hate About You’ characters have captured the same substance that Shakespeare had intended in his 16th century classic. Many of the characters have the same or similar names for instance the two central characters Kat and Bianca remain unchanged. Cameron who is Cambio (Lucentio in disguise) and Petruchio of Verona becomes Patrick Verona. These characters not only have similar names but their personalities are paralleled. Kate remains a tightly strung forthright feminist with a sharp witted tongue and Bianca an obedient stereotypical attractive popular prom queen. This is also illustrated in the persona of Patrick who gains the attributes of Petruchio, in being rebellious, arrogant and nonchalant. To provide a successful transformation it is essential that Junger was able to modernize the characters yet keep a sense of similarity.

Significant differences can be drawn from the language used in both play and movie. In ‘Taming Of The Shrew’ that of a more formal old Elizabethan English is adapted. In contrast ‘10 Things I Hate About You’ uses slang and colloquial language; the dialogue is also more comedic and contemporary. However, in staying true to the source direct quotes from Shakespeare are utilized for example “I burn, I pine, I perish”. However this is resonated as each respective composer needs to engage the interest of the audience, create atmosphere, and depict a character - all important aspects of representing the similar underlying values, so language must be tweaked. For instance a modern day audience may view Shakespeare’s play as a long-winded, boring and unexciting prose. It too can become quite questionable from a feminist perspective. So in order for Junger to create a successful transformation it is inevitable that language would change.

One of the key thematic concerns in both play and movie is the idea of conformity. When we talk about conformity it is generally in relation to Katarina and her contemporary counterpart Kat. Katarina for her loathing of society’s strict code of normalcy and Kat for her disgust of how teenagers conform to pop-culture and how ‘popular’ people set rules regarding many facets of life; to which are followed by the rest to gain acceptance. Both Katarina and Kat believe strongly in the ideals of feminism and independence. In both movie and play they provide a point of contrast to their sister Bianca who is everything they are critical off. Bianca symbolically represents conformity and Kat symbolically represents non-conformity. Junger has done a tremendous job in capturing the essence of key themes In Shakespeare’s play and modernizing them to appeal to a present-day audience can relate in order to provide a very successful transformation.

Through the study of Shakespeare’s ‘The Taming of the Shrew’ and Junger’s ‘10 Things I Hate About You’ we are enabled to see how society has changed over time but yet still grasp an appreciation of how everlastingly entertaining we find the true essence of the tale.
To bring my speech to a conclusion, I would hope that I have proved what an impressive transformation ’10 Things I Hate About You’ is but yet again helped you garner a greater understanding of the transformation as well.

Last edited:

lychnobity

HSC
I refuse to read something with obnoxiously gargantuan paragraphs.

Fix please.

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
skip recounting the plot, waste of time

edit: the statement "there may be minor differences in plot but it is the central ideas that stay the same" is redundant

Last edited:

lychnobity

HSC
Hmm... i edited it from when i first posted as i relised there was no spaces, or are you talking about after the edit?
Ok, my problem is the paragraphs are too big for human reading at this time.

Please make them smaller.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
How long does your speech have to be?

El Magnifico

HSC
Sorry to double post but i reworked the plot paragraph and a few other things; is the really a problem with the paragraph sizes? cause its only 835 words and its a 4-6 minute speech.

El Magnifico

HSC
Anyoneeee.... *tumbleweed rolls past*

If someone could take the time to read and give me an estimate mark i would recieve would be greatly appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)