urgent help required on prac!!! (1 Viewer)

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
hi people, i seriously need help on doing this experiment called the effect of an environmental factor on the phenotype of an organism. i'm meant to show the result of the experimen in both a table and graph form, but i just have no idea what to do with these. i know that i have to measure length of the plant, etc. but...what do i have to do with just those numbers? make it into a percentage? ???? ????? i'm lost. any help will be great as this is urrrgent

shona1990

HSC
You did the petrie dish with cotton wool and wheat seeds? Or something similar?
Light environment - Grew green and long and healthy etc etc
Dark enviro w/ very little/no sunlight - grew white, very small and thin.
The phenotype was clearly different, however the genotype remained the same, hence demonstrating the effect of environment on phenotype.

That's pretty much all I wrote for my experiment, with a few extra notes, which is all that was asked of us... I'm suprised you need to draw graphs and tables and stuff... I can't really understand why... I can understand a very simple graph of the amount of light Vs production of chllorophyll, which you would just assume through the growth of the seeds, however, a table? What figures are you supposed to use?!

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
you draw conclusions by comparing length with the physical environment, usually the plant would either horizontally (withotu sun) and veritcally with sun, to different heights, so you can say how the phenotype is affected by environment

shona1990

HSC
Buiboi said:
you draw conclusions by comparing length with the physical environment, usually the plant would either horizontally (withotu sun) and veritcally with sun, to different heights, so you can say how the phenotype is affected by environment
Yeah, you can draw a conclusion, but how would you create a table and graph of the results? That's the whole point of the question..

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
you dont have to measure it
you can either conduct a qualitative or quantitative experiment
in this case if its difficult to measure it by quantity do it by quality
produce atable:
headings such as: height, horizontally or vertically grown, colour of leaves, or you can add quantitative measures by counting the leaves and the sprouts

with my one, i used both quantity and quality, usually the one that has no light grows horizontally and is white and pale in colour with very few leaves and sprouts
whereas the one with light is a lot greener, mroe sprouts and leaves, vertically tall,

however im not sure what you can do for the graph, the only way you can compare is 24 hours before and after...so i dont recommend you creating a graph, but a table

Last edited:

Ellie999

HSC
Buiboi said:
you dont have to measure it
you can either conduct a qualitative or quantitative experiment
in this case if its difficult to measure it by quantity do it by quality
produce atable:
headings such as: height, horizontally or vertically grown, colour of leaves, or you can add quantitative measures by counting the leaves and the sprouts

with my one, i used both quantity and quality, usually the one that has no light grows horizontally and is white and pale in colour with very few leaves and sprouts
whereas the one with light is a lot greener, mroe sprouts and leaves, vertically tall,

however im not sure what you can do for the graph, the only way you can compare is 24 hours before and after...so i dont recommend you creating a graph, but a table
24 hrs before and after...??? i didnt quite get that....but the rest of the stuff were VERY helpful, thanks Buiboi! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)