• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

URGENT! how many words in 40 minutes? (1 Viewer)

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^^ be careful if your are writing down one you know off by heart. if you dont answer the questions you will lose marks .. and i have pm'ed you back!

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
Try to keep it 1 page per 10 mins. In year 11 i started out at 3 pages now i can manage about 6 which is good enough for the small amount of time u have and considering all the other sections we have to worry about!! Yes its just all about practice!

Also, in terms of memorising, I do recommend memorising chunks, like analysis and stuff because it does make it a lot easier. But yes, dont churn out an essay already written. Just go in there with the content and come up with an argument that answers the question and fill in the gaps.

But I wouldnt do too much more than 1200 words in 40 mins. We're not superhuman and the markers know that, dont stress about getting thousands of words down in a short amount of time. You will get there :)

Last edited:

Kulazzi

HSC
yeah I agree with Trigger, I don't think the markers (unless they're like very critical) are gonna count each word and estimate how much you've written. I have to do 3 essays in my 2 hour english exam and all the teacher wants from each essay is just 2 and a half pages. As for the HSC, I think a min. of 3 pages is expected, so don't stress about the words :)

capsicum

HSC
we were told that 7 pages is the bare minimum! eek! so we're expected to write like 7+ in 40 mins. i can't even do 5! well, yet, but with practise everyone can! so let's all get started and prepare ourselves one year ahead of the HSC!

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
when you guys say pages are you refering to a4 or exam booklet pages?
at the moment i am trying to write 1 a4 per 10 mins.

alessandra

HSC
i am in the middle of exams and i have been doing about 6 and abit in 40 mins .... anyone got bio notes? :)

Sugar

HSC
My English and Modern History teacher expects four pages minimum, and I can only write just a little over 3 pages. I write small, but I wish I wrote much faster!

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
i did 7 pages.. but it was like 6 words per line so it was pretty big writing -_-"

my tutor tells me that 1500 words approx. is bare minimum for HSC... i'm getting there.. (slowly) (very slowwwwlyy) xD~

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
boasboy said:
i did 7 pages.. but it was like 6 words per line so it was pretty big writing -_-"

my tutor tells me that 1500 words approx. is bare minimum for HSC... i'm getting there.. (slowly) (very slowwwwlyy) xD~
Well then your tutor is a dropkick. You should be able to say enough in 1100 or so to make band 6.

I usually don't prepare essays in their entirety though, I write individual paragraphs and mix and match depending on the question in the exam, it makes for a better response.

Usually though I aim for 1200-1300, no more though, and I do pretty well in English etc...length is irrelevant.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
btw to memorise your better of writing it out a couple of times, that should also indicate if you're on time or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)