• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

URGENT: illness (what do I do?) (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I woke up today very sick. I'm not saying this because I have an exam, as rest assured, I have never in my time here seeked special consideration despite also being sick before two assessments were due last year. However, this exam is heavily based on reading (100 Multiple choice) and in the state I woke up, I know that I'm going to do veeeery poorly, as I'm mildly delirious.

Has anyone applied for special consideration? What must I do?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
cheers - didnt think it'd be that easy.
the worst thing is that i prob wont be able to go out for the soccer.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Sorry to say, Stas, it's not all that easy.

I had to apply for consideration in semester 1 of last year because I had a fall and was severely concussed for 2 weeks. You need to fill out our forms with complete medical certificates and your doctor must also fill out your forms. Then you have to take them to the relevant faculty. I'd strongly suggest emailing your head lecturer(s)/tutor(s) and seeing what's the G-O, because eery faculty takes Special COnsideration differently.

You will also have to take supplementary exams that occur during our poorly organised 3 weeks off. If you ask to take these ones now, but to ask permission for the marker to take your sickness into consideration, that won't happen, unfortunately.

I had A LOT of issues with my applications. I even had hospital records to say that I had an ambulance to assist me and I was taken in, but pffft the uni don't give a shit. Well, they didn't for me. I strongly believe they pick and choose who they want to give consideration to, depending on the illness.

I'm so sorry to freak you out Stas, but this is the reality that I faced.

All that aside, i DO strongly suggest you apply for consideration, because you're obviously sick and I can imagine how much you're freaking out. But email your tutors/lecturers first to get their opinion.

Good luck and I hope u feel better! :)

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Oh noes!! I swear I didn't give any germs to you!! :)

Hope you get better really soon. Remember to go and get a medical certificate from a GP as soon as possible.

gerhard

HSC
if its psyc1001 dont bother that subject is easy

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
r u serious @ gerhard

i mean the subject isn't too bad but this exam was probably the worst exam i've ever attempted in my life, i feel that i am VERY VERY VERY lucky to pass it. Last year i did two psych units and got a C and a D at uws, they were based on essentially the same things.

This one was unecessarily hard, they put some of the tickiest most trivial shit in there. I made a reasonable attempt at 65 of the 100 questions and basically guessed the rest.

Stas, make sure you know what experimenters tested what, don't just study the concepts, alot of the social psychology questions are very dependant on knowing who said what.

I stayed till the end as I never leave MC exams early, i always sit there and go over each answer, even though i finished and an hour early.

People left half an hour into the exam, after an hour half the room had already left, i think everyone just guessed everything because the exam was just so fucking gay :mad::mad::mad:: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited:

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
I was granted special consideration in my final assessments last year for two subjects and it wasnt that hard? I just got a doctors certificate and a letter from my doctor and filled out the forms. I think though they've made it stricter this year? Not too sure.

gerhard

HSC
nah i did 1001 last year

last year the social section was so easy, pretty much everyone got full marks for it

not suprising they decided to make it harder

Libbster

HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
r u serious @ gerhard

i mean the subject isn't too bad but this exam was probably the worst exam i've ever attempted in my life, i feel that i am VERY VERY VERY lucky to pass it. Last year i did two psych units and got a C and a D at uws, they were based on essentially the same things.

This one was unecessarily hard, they put some of the tickiest most trivial shit in there. I made a reasonable attempt at 65 of the 100 questions and basically guessed the rest.

Stas, make sure you know what experimenters tested what, don't just study the concepts, alot of the social psychology questions are very dependant on knowing who said what.

I stayed till the end as I never leave MC exams early, i always sit there and go over each answer, even though i finished and an hour early.

People left half an hour into the exam, after an hour half the room had already left, i think everyone just guessed everything because the exam was just so fucking gay :mad::mad::mad:: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Subject matter was extremely homo, i don't even remember covering some of the q's in the lectures and I had done all the readings! I mean wtf, but yes that exam was gay

stazi

Nightman
HSC
well, i just woke up again. 15 hours of sleep. success. and my throat needs to be cut out with a blade (i'm emo :eek:). I'm going to see a doctor tomorrow as I had trouble getting out of bed today, was just in too much pain.
Exam in mid-semester = good, as ill be around uni about 30 hrs a week anyway.

veridis

droog
HSC
oh cmon psyc wasnt that bad. there were 5 or 10 questions where they just threw names at you to confuse you and probably 5-10 more with really dubious answers(the stupid "most correct" ones) but apart from that it was relatively straightforward.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Hey stas, check the front of that psych book for special consideration info. From what Caleb said, it seems like if your claim is legitimate (backed with docs), although you will have to untangle yourself from the stupid bureaucracy, it should be fine.

On the exam, it was not that bad considering I crammed it all in yesterday :D The wording was very similar to the lecture notes so it wasn't hard to grab onto a keyword to refresh your memory and off you go.

Olsen

Hates cold mornings..
HSC
grk_styl said:
Sorry to say, Stas, it's not all that easy.

I had to apply for consideration in semester 1 of last year because I had a fall and was severely concussed for 2 weeks. You need to fill out our forms with complete medical certificates and your doctor must also fill out your forms. Then you have to take them to the relevant faculty. I'd strongly suggest emailing your head lecturer(s)/tutor(s) and seeing what's the G-O, because eery faculty takes Special COnsideration differently.

You will also have to take supplementary exams that occur during our poorly organised 3 weeks off. If you ask to take these ones now, but to ask permission for the marker to take your sickness into consideration, that won't happen, unfortunately.

I had A LOT of issues with my applications. I even had hospital records to say that I had an ambulance to assist me and I was taken in, but pffft the uni don't give a shit. Well, they didn't for me. I strongly believe they pick and choose who they want to give consideration to, depending on the illness.

I'm so sorry to freak you out Stas, but this is the reality that I faced.

All that aside, i DO strongly suggest you apply for consideration, because you're obviously sick and I can imagine how much you're freaking out. But email your tutors/lecturers first to get their opinion.

Good luck and I hope u feel better! :)

Which faculty was this?

Seems pretty slack, eh?

A

adamsaclown

Sarah168 said:
Hey stas, check the front of that psych book for special consideration info. From what Caleb said, it seems like if your claim is legitimate (backed with docs), although you will have to untangle yourself from the stupid bureaucracy, it should be fine.

On the exam, it was not that bad considering I crammed it all in yesterday :D The wording was very similar to the lecture notes so it wasn't hard to grab onto a keyword to refresh your memory and off you go.
having done 3 psyc exams at usyd now, I can say they're all fairly dodgy... they ask the tiniest little details, and tell you you won't have to match names with experiments but they end up asking you to do that in at least 1 question anyway... they also like to ask questions about things they've never mentioned, or perhaps mentioned to one lecture stream but forgot to mention to the others... but oh well, i guess with multiple choice exams they have to make it hard otherwise the spread of marks would be too skewed!

Lainee

HSC
Olsen said:
Which faculty was this?

Seems pretty slack, eh?
Does seem more difficult than what I went through last year! I was in Economics faculty though so maybe it's easier there. Last year I applied because I missed a final exam, and this year I applied for an extension on an essay due.

You need to prove that there was no way you could have been able to sit an examination/finish that assignment on time, e.g. pneumonia and stuck in hospital, car accident on route to exam, relative died and was in mourning etc.

Not only do you need solid proof (doctor's certificate, police report, death certificate etc.) you need to explain how severely it affected you and why you think you deserve special consideration. I think they would put a lot of focus on if your explanation of how occured ties together with the evidence.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Olsen said:
Which faculty was this?

Seems pretty slack, eh?
Education and Arts faculties. It made me so angry, coz then I hear about UNSW kids who fake a lot of their illnesses (ie. go to the dr's and say they have a "cold") and they get exempted straight away! Special Consideration is a joke. Well in my experience anyway.

I hope it's better for you Stas

stazi

Nightman
HSC
How interesting - Thursday I have my psych make-up exam.
For IBUS2101, the lecturerer sent me a takehome exam (although obviously i can only take the allotted time, and not use notes, etc.) which I can hand in as soon as I get better.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Well done on getting Special Consideration! Is it just IBUS and psych?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
cheers, yep just those two. i did the exam for my other ibus course, as well as my mktg course during the exam period

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)