URGENT! Is it possible for me to do medicine? (1 Viewer)

iStudent

HSC
Just to throw this out there though - medicine at UNSW is very very very competitive and you need an extremely high atar. I know they say you should choose your favourite subjects - but with the subjects you listed there, how sure are you that you can achieve (ideally) a mid-high 99 atar to be competitive for entry? It is easier to score higher atars with higher scaling subjects, so I would recommend replacing biology with chemistry and general maths with at least 2U maths (or drop it altogether) - unless you are confident you can score a mark near state rank with those subjects.

Good luck!

riribhandarare

HSC
Just to throw this out there though - medicine at UNSW is very very very competitive and you need an extremely high atar. I know they say you should choose your favourite subjects - but with the subjects you listed there, how sure are you that you can achieve (ideally) a mid-high 99 atar to be competitive for entry? It is easier to score higher atars with higher scaling subjects, so I would recommend replacing biology with chemistry and general maths with at least 2U maths (or drop it altogether) - unless you are confident you can score a mark near state rank with those subjects.

Good luck!
Thank you! I was thinking of dropping Geography in Year 12. If I replace chemistry with biology will it make it easier for me to get a higher ATAR? I got around 70% for Chem in Year 9 and 10.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Thank you! I was thinking of dropping Geography in Year 12. If I replace chemistry with biology will it make it easier for me to get a higher ATAR? I got around 70% for Chem in Year 9 and 10.
Biology doesn't scale that much lower than chem so if you enjoy it you might as well do biology. Some universities might require a chem prerequisite such as JCU or Monash (even though I still think biology relates more) so just check that first.

Last edited:

Simorgh

HSC
Just my personal opinion. I think you should also try out 2 Unit Maths just in case. There are many degrees that require 2 Unit Maths such as Commerce/Science/Optometry and it will come in handy if you happen to not make it into Medicine.

Don't forget the better scaling of 2 Unit Maths which will contribute more to your ATAR than say General Maths. You don't have to be a Maths whizz to do well in 2 Unit, just the effort and daily practice will boost your marks. Soon as you get through Yr 11, the Yr 12 content is much easier to understand and get through.

Other thing is do what actually interests you. Remember its not just you who wants to Medicine at the end of the day, many thousands of students in the country are going after the few hundred or so places. Be realistic and follow your true ambitions, don't make your parents make choices on your behalf which might not end up being beneficial for you?

iStudent

HSC
You mean for science in yr 9/10?

I will be honest, 70% is sort of low (on medicine standards). Are you sure medicine is for you? Keep in mind, that it is very very competitive to get into medicine - and people who are hoping to get into medicines are usually getting 90/95%+ in exams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)