URGENT: radioisotopes in medicine: benefits and problems (1 Viewer)

jordie4

HSC
an assessment question on radioisotopes in medicine and to discuss the benefits and problems, any help would be really really appreciated, my last chance to get off to a good start in atleast one subject..

=]

powerdrive

HSC
http://members.optusnet.com.au/badtz_style/HSC stuff/Uses of radioisotopes.pdf

Technetium-99m in medicine:
Benefits:
Ÿ Short half-life of 6 hours means that radioisotope decays very quickly and causes very little damage
to the patient
Ÿ Low energy emission level is just enough for gamma cameras to detect, yet cause very little
damage to the patient
Ÿ Different forms of technetium-99m means that it will travel to different organs in the body, thus
allowing for specific diagnostics
Ÿ No side effects on patient
Problems:
Ÿ Requires nuclear reactor for production
Ÿ Requires technetium-99m generator for production

I have a couple of good chem summaries. If u want i'll PM u the links to them

jordie4

HSC
thank you alot, yes if you could pm then i would greatly appreciate them.. =] but thanks a bunch, gah hopefully ill do well in this assessment task..

love and smiles
jordie =]

danz90

HSC
For Tc-99m you could also mention the fact that it has multiple oxidation states, meaning it can attach to a variety of organic molecules in the body.

HSC
danz90 said:
For Tc-99m you could also mention the fact that it has multiple oxidation states, meaning it can attach to a variety of organic molecules in the body.
The more free radicals (or ions) in your body the worse it is for you, most common example under cooked red meat. I can't see how varying oxidation states could help the patient to much, although if the organic molecules of the diseased organ had markers that attracted Tc-99m it could be very useful at targeting with pin point accuracy and if you've got cancer you'd be open to nearly anything...
Good point though, i didn't know that and i've finished chem and wrote about Tc-99m!
Cheers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)