Urgent Request For Uni Bos Site! (1 Viewer)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Cape said:
Maybe, you really should take some advice from people who have been to uni for longer than a week.
Funny, I think he thought of what I said, meaning, he has taken advice from someone who has been at uni longer than a week.
For fucks sake, get off your high horse. >=\

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
Its not a bad idea, just stick to placing your notes on the usyd site! Ill post up some of my first year subject notes (that are still running)

Personally i cant see how this would be any different to what they do band width wise with the hsc notes, chances of a large amount of people submitting notes are not good!

Meanwhile in terms of spoon feeding its not that much different to sharing notes with friends, i know alot of my friends and i were swapping notes just because you can miss sections in lectures that others dont ect ect

Mine were always popular cos i tape my lectures so i have very accurate transcripts

ehh as i said do it individually on the usyd forum, cant see anyone complaining to hard about it

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Minai said:
I agree with hipsta_jess, there are too many negatives to this idea than positives, and one major negative is plaigarism. At uni, if you're caught plaigarising, you can be suspended from uni up to 2 years.
I don't think plaigarism would be a concern

Plagiarism might be however :p

great now I'm resorting to the duties of spell_check :(

santaslayer

HSC
As if there were'nt problems with plagarism in the HSC. The problem only arises if you get caught. I can swear that half the academic papers published have been done before.

krisk85

Random
HSC
N/A
ok but what about recordings of hte lectures and tutorials... no plagerism there? and it would benefit those who miss out on a class here and there?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Recordings are subject to copyright, to record a lecturers voice you must first gain permission, and somehow I strongly doubt that would extend to then providing copies to the web.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I was thinking how posting notes is actually plagarism. Say if you post your notes for a subject for one week, another uni and a different course might have an assignment for whatever you covered in class. Someone might copy the notes down and pass them off as there own ideas - plagarism. Eventually lecturers will find out about the website as well - they can use computers.

santaslayer

HSC
krisk85 said:
ok but what about recordings of hte lectures and tutorials... no plagerism there? and it would benefit those who miss out on a class here and there?
Recordings may be obtained through various uni services.
Lecture notes may be obtained online.

Notes from other BoS members is different. :p

krisk85

Random
HSC
N/A
really? any1 know stuf for uws? i dont think ive heard of any servies for recordings! :O

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
krisk85 said:
really? any1 know stuf for uws? i dont think ive heard of any servies for recordings! :O
Lecturers don't record their lectures, however, you can record them, but only with the lecturers permission. If you can't, they usually post their lecture up on webct.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
oops ive been taping lecturers and never once asked, then again usyd always tapes them so yeah guess its ok

so long as it just the notes you make not the direct transcript you dont breech copy right by reprouding them. Once he deliever the lecture provided you acknowledge them at the top of the page that work becomes YOUR property as you become the filter. At any rate i mentioned it to my lecturer today and she thought it was a good idea

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Cape said:
I was thinking how posting notes is actually plagarism. Say if you post your notes for a subject for one week, another uni and a different course might have an assignment for whatever you covered in class. Someone might copy the notes down and pass them off as there own ideas - plagarism. Eventually lecturers will find out about the website as well - they can use computers.
Google offers a portal to thousands of webpages to plagarise from. Hell, Google indexes some universities' lecture notes directly. Though it's possible to just use Google to find notes, I don't see any difference between plagarising from an online journal and plagarising from this website. As you said, lecturers know how to use the Internet, one way or another, the student caught plagarising will be caught and have what's coming to him/her.

This website isn't a special exception to the billions of others out on the Internet. In the case of academic research (which is what I assume a worry to most of you), one would have to be pretty daft to use an online student community as a reference for academic writing. Online journals are there for that. But that being said, I don't see anything wrong with summarised dot points explaining some concept that someone else might have trouble with. A centralised repository that holds information on this topic, which would be far less dubious than some results Google would pick up (I'm sure there will be a few dubious sources there, whether maliciously or accidently, nothing is perfect), is an ideal idea.

That being said, I do understand the cost/effort involved might weigh out the feasability to implement such a repository. However, dismissing the idea, just because it is not feasable at the time, is not always a good idea. Many modern inventions/innovations would not be in existance today if ideas were just dismissed and not dwelled upon.

santaslayer

HSC
Cape said:
Lecturers don't record their lectures, however, you can record them, but only with the lecturers permission. If you can't, they usually post their lecture up on webct.
Hmmm..strange. Depends from uni to uni then. Most recordings are readily available in the library/....I think in the library anyway...

santaslayer

HSC
poloktim said:
Google offers a portal to thousands of webpages to plagarise from. Hell, Google indexes some universities' lecture notes directly. Though it's possible to just use Google to find notes, I don't see any difference between plagarising from an online journal and plagarising from this website. As you said, lecturers know how to use the Internet, one way or another, the student caught plagarising will be caught and have what's coming to him/her.

This website isn't a special exception to the billions of others out on the Internet. In the case of academic research (which is what I assume a worry to most of you), one would have to be pretty daft to use an online student community as a reference for academic writing. Online journals are there for that. But that being said, I don't see anything wrong with summarised dot points explaining some concept that someone else might have trouble with. A centralised repository that holds information on this topic, which would be far less dubious than some results Google would pick up (I'm sure there will be a few dubious sources there, whether maliciously or accidently, nothing is perfect), is an ideal idea.

That being said, I do understand the cost/effort involved might weigh out the feasability to implement such a repository. However, dismissing the idea, just because it is not feasable at the time, is not always a good idea. Many modern inventions/innovations would not be in existance today if ideas were just dismissed and not dwelled upon.
Just what i was thinking. :)

tabbi_neubeck

minus the neubeck part
HSC
I am not against the sharing of lecture notes ... but wouldn't there already be a systems for which you can do that without setting up another?

For example, at CSU we have access to subject forums in which we can exchange such information.

And yes i understand you just want to help others ... but perhaps they need to help themselves ... all the information is out there all they have to do is speak out and ask someone ... it isn't necessary for all this to be done on the net.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Yes i agree there should be a uni resources or something similar to equate with the HSC forums, as most of the original BoSers are in or out of uni and most of the Bosers go to uni eventually, judging by the average UAI's

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Same could be said about going to school and classes

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
natstar said:
the HSC is general tho. At uni, everyone learns different stuff at different uni's.
What so all Marketing isnt the same across unis, dont u guys have a Professional Board like Law, Accounting, Finance, etc do

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
natstar said:
you learn the same stuf, but not all units are the same, you may learn stuff in a differet order the course structure may be in a different order, the textbooks can be different, the examamable material is different.
And yeah we have a professional board- AMI
Yeah and dont they require u guys to know specific things, just cause a course has a different name dont mean its really different if they are required by the professional board

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
natstar said:
I dont think ur seeing my point really.
I see ur point, they are different, but not really that different, think about the HSC not everyone at every school did the same in school assessments, did they?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)