US Congressional elections - Democrats or Republicans (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
^Foley: Do I make you a little horny?

It cracks me up.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The "new" Democrats sure have fallen far from good and rational days, once they were the party of people like FDR, JFK and Zbigniew Brzezinski, now with people like Hillary Clinton, Howard Dean and Nancy Pelosi they're pretty much the US equivalent of the ALP.
I really don't notice the influence of unions as much in America as we have here in Australia (Perhaps only because I don't live there, but I do watch the news) so I doubt the Democrats could ever mirror the ALP which I'd say is roughly ....40% controlled by unionists?

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Exphate said:
Condolezza Rice v Hilary Clinton.

Interesting presidential election that would make
Never happen. Hilary Clinton is a republican wet dream. Shes a woman for gods sake. Republican's are thrilled that the Democrats are seriously considering Hilary.

An ever bigger Republican wet dream would be Barack Obama (who some Democrats seem to be suggesting). He's unproven and too young. Oh and he's also BLACK. Never going to happen.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I really don't notice the influence of unions as much in America as we have here in Australia (Perhaps only because I don't live there, but I do watch the news) so I doubt the Democrats could ever mirror the ALP which I'd say is roughly ....40% controlled by unionists?
The Dems dont have Unions written into the organisational structure like Labor. Unions have 50% say in any ALP preselection, and therefore control who forms Labor gov/opposition (if not themselves, then someone who knows they cant challenge them).
This wasnt a bad idea at first, but now that Unions arent so popular, they just block talent and promote divisive factionalism. Take down their quota I say. Take it down to the <15% representation they currently have in the community.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
To be honest it is the power of the unions within the ALP that I think will always prevent me from voting for them. I don't know if the same is true for alot of other people though. It'd be interesting to find out if there's any surveys on how 'popular' unions are within Australian society (not just numbers on union membership).

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Democratic_Party#Unions

Remember Jimmy Hoffa?

That said what I meant was in the hopelessly lefty sort of way, welfare state, feminist infiltration, anti-westernism, supporting programs that destroy our population through abortion, drug legalisation, anti-traditionalism, support for homos etc. That sort of pathetic.

spell check

HSC
bshoc said:
hopelessly lefty sort of way, welfare state, feminist infiltration, anti-westernism, supporting programs that destroy our population through abortion, drug legalisation, anti-traditionalism, support for homos etc. That sort of pathetic.
HAHA yeah all those things are terribly pathetic

Tamazoid

HSC
BBC has the Senate at 46-43-2 to the GOP and the House 160-156 to the Dems. The massive Democratic landslide hasn't materialised; which represents a victory for the Republicans and President Bush. If I were a leftist I'd be crying right now because the results are demonstrating the failure of the Dems campaign.

spell check

HSC
bshoc said:
As it looks now Democrats may take the house narrowly, Republicans will hold the senate for sure. The "new" Democrats sure have fallen far from good and rational days, once they were the party of people like FDR, JFK and Zbigniew Brzezinski, now with people like Hillary Clinton, Howard Dean and Nancy Pelosi they're pretty much the US equivalent of the ALP. If anyone is interested here's one of the JFK era democrats on the current state of the US dems, listen and you may learn something, remember this guy keynoted the 1992 Dem convention:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fENTx9gMB4w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVvZ8FW2D2M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDQ_urqKT6E
this guy essentially argues that whatever the US army does MUST be good by virtue of the fact that the US is doing it

moron

he sure looks stupid now that pretty much anyone with a clue, even former neo-cons like perle and fukuyama admit that bush and his administration are hideously incompetent

haha "GOD IS NOT INDIFFERENT TO AMERICA!" what does that even mean

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Now just 2 senate seats currently undecided. Dems need to win both to gain a majority.

Montana (81% Counted)
(Dem) Tester 144,544 49%
(Rep) Burns 140,547 48%

Virginia (99% Counted)
(Dem) Webb 1,170,412 50%
(Rep) Allen 1,162,413 49%

Last edited:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Virginia will be democrats. Allen hasn't had uh, good press recently,

bshoc

HSC
N/A
I'm just happy alot of the blue dogs got into the house and senate, there's nothing like a socailly conservative candidate who isnt a corrupt corporatist wanker.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
He was actually my pick (pre-scandal) for the rep nomination in 08.
Romney is far more articulate, and able to bridge the gap between hard-line conservatives and those on the left of the GOP. That said it'll all depend on whether the hard right all get behind one candidate, because if they don't it'll probably be McCain.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Rumsfeld resigns in poll fallout

US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld resigned today, paying the price for the Democrat surge to power in Congress driven by a wave of public anger over the Iraq war.

President George W Bush announced the veteran power broker's departure, sending shockwaves though Washington, in a move which could possibly pave the way to a major change of US strategy in the strife-torn nation.

"After a series of thoughtful conversations, Secretary Rumsfeld and I agreed that the timing is right for new leadership at the Pentagon," Bush said.

He named former CIA chief Bob Gates as Rumsfeld's replacement at the Pentagon, following six tumultuous years with Rumsfeld at the helm.

Bush also took responsibility for the Democratic election victory, and acknowledged it was motivated by voter dissatisfaction with the Iraq war.

"I'm obviously disappointed with the outcome of the election," Bush told reporters at a White House news conference.

"As the head of the Republican Party, I share a large part of the responsibility," Bush said.

Democrats meanwhile picked up a fifth Senate seat in Montana, after yesterday's midterm elections, moving to the threshold of power in the upper chamber, after capturing the House of Representatives for the first time since 1994. [...]

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/rumsfeld-resigns-in-poll-fallout/2006/11/09/1162661785320.html
Rumsfeld quitting as defense secretary

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)