US Exchange (which one to go?) (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Hey guys. I am interested in the prospect of going to USA for exchange sometime next year or the year after.

Here are the universities that UNSW has as partners:
  • NYU
  • UCLA
  • University of North Carolina
  • University of California - Berkeley
  • UPenn
  • University of Texas, Austin

I know that there are a lot more but I am obviously interested in the universities above because they seem to have good business school. Do anyone of you guys know the rough mark/GPA/WAM cut off for those universities for exchange? I have 3.4/4 or low 80s WAM - but I should be able to get to 83-84.

I am also interested to hear the environment, relative cost and everything.

Thank you!

Turra

HSC
When you are on exchange to a partner university, do you have to pay tuition fees? I understand that you get credit points for studying there, but how about the expenses?

furansugo

HSC
In terms of prestige, UPenn and Cal would probably be the top two. UNC's pretty good, as is NYU.

What are you looking for in your exchange, though? Do you want a sports school, a school in a huge city, something in california, something in the south? These questions probably matter more for an exchange...

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
u pay normal fees at your home institution (so can be under HECS)
The cut off depends on the people who apply at your home institution, and they take the students based on marks purely.
And your uni is only allowed to nominate a specific amount of people each semester to a a particular overseas uni (determined by the overseas uni).
Just ask the advisors at UNSW :) they'll know roughly the mark you need but 80's sound fine. You'll have a good chance of getting into any you choose :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
^Thanks Tim!!!

In terms of prestige, UPenn and Cal would probably be the top two. UNC's pretty good, as is NYU.

What are you looking for in your exchange, though? Do you want a sports school, a school in a huge city, something in california, something in the south? These questions probably matter more for an exchange...
Umm...well I am looking for fairly urbanised area (i.e. city) because i love big city with lots of people! And in terms of uni, I am prob looking at strong business school since I do business?

Turra

HSC
u pay normal fees at your home institution (so can be under HECS)
The cut off depends on the people who apply at your home institution, and they take the students based on marks purely.
And your uni is only allowed to nominate a specific amount of people each semester to a a particular overseas uni (determined by the overseas uni).
Just ask the advisors at UNSW :) they'll know roughly the mark you need but 80's sound fine. You'll have a good chance of getting into any you choose :)

Thank you.

HSC
Uni Grad
i heard UC Berkeley was pretty overrated, it's actually quite crappy (since it's quite a while from San Francisco), and that there's actually nothing to do at Berkeley itself

furansugo

HSC
Wharton at Penn is by farrrr the strongest business school that you've listed - it's probably the top business school in the country!

silvi_1

HSC
Hey guys. I am interested in the prospect of going to USA for exchange sometime next year or the year after.

Here are the universities that UNSW has as partners:
  • NYU
  • UCLA
  • University of North Carolina
  • University of California - Berkeley
  • UPenn
  • University of Texas, Austin

I know that there are a lot more but I am obviously interested in the universities above because they seem to have good business school. Do anyone of you guys know the rough mark/GPA/WAM cut off for those universities for exchange? I have 3.4/4 or low 80s WAM - but I should be able to get to 83-84.

I am also interested to hear the environment, relative cost and everything.

Thank you!
I'll just reilliterate my opinions with the comments also presented here.
NYU - It's in NY, possibly the best city in the world. You'll get plenty of opportunities to explore the area etc stern for business = fantastic!
Everything is going to be pretty expensive, so be prepared. It's a noisy, dirty city and there isn't much rah rah school spirit. The campus is pretty disjointed.
UCLA - Beautiful campus. Heart of LA, access to many other cities conveniently. Lots of school spirit. great football team. diverse student body. not too prestigious, but i guess it depends on whether you want that or not. big big student body
(UCLA is very similar to UC Berkeley)
North Carolina - huge frat/social scene, you get southern culture. the scores to get into this school tends to be moderately lower than the other schools you've suggested. dont kmnow much apart from this..
upenn - perhaps the most prestigious, as it is ivy league and in an urban setting, like nyu and ucla. great school spirit, good social scene. wharton is also one of the best, it's up there with stern. dont have many bad things to say. like nyu, the weather will be cold/snowing - might be a bit of a change to sydney :0
texas - dont know much. guessing it would prob have a very heavy social scene.

hope this helps! they're only generalisations, if you're looking for the best academics then upenn and nyu.

BayAreasFinest

HSC
i heard UC Berkeley was pretty overrated, it's actually quite crappy (since it's quite a while from San Francisco), and that there's actually nothing to do at Berkeley itself

As someone who lived in the Bay Area for 11 years(hence the username) I can tell you from experience that:

1. Berkeley is no more than 30 min drive on really badly congested days from SF, it has been an art, craft and music mecca for a few decades, and that it is by no means "crappy".

2. Being a fair distance from the city of SF shouldn't have much of an impact on your decisions, because unless you plan on spending many nights out there, it isn't very likely that you would be able to find an affordable place to stay there, (unless the Tenderloin interests you.)

3. As far as the college itself, I would do a bit more research on the academics of the college before basing a decision on rumors you've heard about the area it's located in and its proximity to SF.

TBU21

HSC
Uni Grad
Best college experience (partying/social scene, greek life, college sports etc.) - definitely UT Austin with UNC (Chapel Hill) 2nd choice. I'd probably choose one of those 2 because isn't that what exchange is all about! They both have strong academic reputations too (i.e. both have US top 20 ranked business schools).

Best academics - definitely UPenn (Wharton) for business, it consistently ranks in the top 3 business schools in the US, with UCB (Haas) 2nd choice.

Best location - NYU - New York is an amazing city to experience, especially for a business student.

They'd all be amazing places to do exchange though, depends on what you want!

Jinks

HSC
If I wanted to go for the overall experience/travel I would pick NYU simply because it's in NY, if you have more of a academic focus and a keen interest in business I'd go for UPenn every time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)