USA essay question (1 Viewer)

dunlop1234

HSC
Hey guys, me and my friend are having differing thoughts on how to structure a response to this question (i'll write it in a second) for USA.

To what extent were growing urbanization and industrialization the dominant influences on US society in the period of 1919 to 1941.

I was thinking to structure it under each group and procede by doing:

1. Introduction
2. Paragraph on workers
3. Paragraph on women
4. Paragraph on farmers
5. Paragraph on afro-americans
6. Conclusion

My friend was thinking of doing it under economic and then social seperately.

Anyone have any better ideas on what the best structure for this question would be?

enoilgam

HSC
I think you're approach sounds pretty good, covering each key segment of US society should allow for some solid and well organised analysis. Just keep in mind that you have to discuss why/why not it was the dominant influence on each segment. If it wasnt, then you need to suggest what was and clearly indicate why that had more influence. I'm not too sure about your friends approach though, it seems a bit vague.

Keep in mind that there isnt one stock structure to this question - there are probably a few ways of doing it, each of which can produce a quality Band 6 calibre response.

ZackXXT

HSC
I don't mean to be critical, however, couldn't one avoid doing US Society altogether?

You realize, that if you are prepared to answer any question on:

- Great Depression
- New Deal
- Foreign Policy

You can completely neglect the social section....

The nature of the categories I suggests is generally rather predictable

'To what extent was the Great Depression a result of republican economic policies in the 1920s'
'To what extent was the New Deal a solution to the Great Depression' + 'Hoover's New Deal**'
'To what extent was US Foreign Policy isolationist in the period of 1919-1941'
'Assess the Impact of Domestic Pressures on US Foreign Policy 1919-1941'

If you were to complete those and understand them very well, you would be able to address the questions asked in those areas.

Though you would need to make the interrelating connections where necessary... e.g.

'Government intervention came to the rescue of American Capitalism'

How accurate is this statement from 1919-1941.

**Requires both G/D Causes and N/D**

In the past 14 years, there has not been a single exam where there has not been a Foreign Policy Question, New Deal Question or Great Depression Question. They do not pick two from Society... ever.

Any thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)