Use of explicit words (1 Viewer)

Deadinside

HSC
N/A
in CIDN there are explicit words so in the exam can i write those or do i have to sensor it for example do i write “you are fucking weird mate” or “you are f***king weird mate”. Will i lose marks if i write the full word?

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Generally speaking, it is best if you reproduce the quote in your essay in exactly the same way it is expressed within the text, that is, with no modifications/alterations. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time contains outbursts of profanity, meaning it could be perceived as an exception. It is important to keep in mind that you are merely including a quote from one of the prescribed texts that you studied as part of your analysis to reinforce a particular point that you are exploring. Because of this, the marker technically cannot deduct marks, because the quote you have included is part of a text you have studied and is an accurate representation thereof. Therefore, I believe the way in which you address profanity is up to you. You may wish to express profane terms/language with no modifications/alterations, or you may wish to apply some censoring by replacing one or more letters with an asterisk. Having studied The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, I chose to replace one letter with an asterisk throughout my essay, as follows:
  • "...without you sh*tting on him from a great height as well"
  • “Don’t give me that bollocks, you little sh*t
  • “You’re the f*cking memory man”
I believe this method displays the advantage of enabling me to censor a particular word while simultaneously ensuring the accuracy of the quote(s) I include is not negatively affected.

I hope this helps! :D

Deadinside

HSC
N/A
Generally speaking, it is best if you reproduce the quote in your essay in exactly the same way it is expressed within the text, that is, with no modifications/alterations. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time contains outbursts of profanity, meaning it could be perceived as an exception. It is important to keep in mind that you are merely including a quote from one of the prescribed texts that you studied as part of your analysis to reinforce a particular point that you are exploring. Because of this, the marker technically cannot deduct marks, because the quote you have included is part of a text you have studied and is an accurate representation thereof. Therefore, I believe the way in which you address profanity is up to you. You may wish to express profane terms/language with no modifications/alterations, or you may wish to apply some censoring by replacing one or more letters with an asterisk. Having studied The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, I chose to replace one letter with an asterisk throughout my essay, as follows:
  • "...without you sh*tting on him from a great height as well"
  • “Don’t give me that bollocks, you little sh*t
  • “You’re the f*cking memory man”
I believe this method displays the advantage of enabling me to censor a particular word while simultaneously ensuring the accuracy of the quote(s) I include is not negatively affected.

I hope this helps! :D
Thank you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)