Users and participants (1 Viewer)

Maul

Can someone please remind me which is which? I can't find it in my notes and I'm always forgetting it. :(

Huy

HSC
N/A
Components of a TPS
Users
These are the people within the company that run and use the TPS. These individuals will access the data from the online system to check inventory, orders, find and receive data to use in other planning systems and so on.

Partipicants
The people who perform the transaction processing, either as real-time or batch. The types of actions they perform will therefore vary depending on the type of TPS.

People
People from the environment are becoming participants in real-time processing systems as they directly enter transactions and perform validation.

This is how I remember it:
User: Someone who uses the system, this is a broad and generic term.
Partipicant: The people who perform information processes, using the system.
People: This category includes external users of the system who are becoming participants.

My example:
Users are the ones who use EFTPOS systems, they can include participants as well as people. The difference lies in the fact that participants will collect, organise, analyse, store/retrieve, process, transmit/receive and display (the information processes) for the people who use the system.

That is,
'Users' could be anyone,
'Participants' would be banking staff at the Commonwealth Bank,
and 'People' would be those who use EFTPOS systems, but if you're talking about "self-serve" systems, then the people can be considered as participants. :)

Thankfully, you won't have to talk about direct, indirect and intermediary users as you had to in Years 9/10 Computing Studies ;)

Last edited:

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
huy u can't possible be telling the truth when u say that u don't expect ipt to count in your uai!!!
as if!!!
your pulling out band 6 answers for every question people has and im guessin your not even refering back to your notes!!

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by redslert
huy u can't possible be telling the truth when u say that u don't expect ipt to count in your uai!!!
English (Advanced) (2)
Extension 1 English (1)
Extension 2 English (1)
Chemistry (2)
Physics (2)
Maths (2)

Subjects left aside,
IPT (2)
Extension 1 Maths (1)
Studies of Religion/I (1)

It is possible, however, to interchange Maths (2) with IPT (2).
Band 6 in IPT will not always guarantee a higher mark than a Band 5 in 2U Maths.

2002 Scaling of courses
30.1 Mathematics
23.3 Information Processes and Technology

Strictly speaking, however, based on scaling alone for subjects in 2002, my best 10 units should comprise of:

39.5 Mathematics Extension 1
38.1 English Extension 2
37.6 English Extension 1
33.2 English (Advanced)
31.8 Chemistry
30.6 Physics
30.1 Mathematics

------------------------------------------------------------------
26.4 Studies of Religion I
23.3 Information Processes and Technology

So you can see the discrepancy there, with half a unit of Mathematics. I am adamant about Extension 1 Maths being excluded from my UAI calculation (50% raw, assessment mark). Which leaves the remaining unit of 2U Maths to take it's place.

I don't mind the subject, it is a bit tedious and repetitive in some stages though. (for example synchronous and asynchronous, the system development life cycle, transmission media, network topologies and so forth). IPT is okay in my books, but I would gladly exchange an above standard mark in IPT for an average mark in Extension 1 Maths (if at all possible). That is my view on it, although I do enjoy the subject to an extent :)

We will see, however :)

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
user= someone who views the system, who uses it
participant= someone who has a direct effect on the system, has the ability to change it

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by tigerboi
ipt is easy. just do ur hwk
Do you have to be such a dickhead all the time?
If IPT were so easy, why aren't you Top 3?
If IPT were so easy, why don't you prove me wrong and beat me for once. (Sorry to say, but I have more units than you do, and I'm sure there's a lot of work that goes on during your 'study' periods).

(Yes, you are beginning to get on my nerves).

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
hmmmmm interesting a side of Huy that i have never seen before... i guess you two hate eachother

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by *~Dazed~*
hmmmmm interesting a side of Huy that i have never seen before... i guess you two hate eachother
Sorry, I'm normally not like "that".

No, we don't hate each other.

It was just because of ONE thing.
We received our 2U Maths results back, along with our 3U Maths results, and I happened to be sitting next to tigerboi (Peter) at the time. I didn't show him my marks so he kept calling me 'a girl' for not telling him.

So I lied to him (white lie) and said 'you beat me...' so he was overjoyous and whatnot. However, when the class-rankings (ie who came 1st, 2nd, 3rd in the class) etc were announced, I came 2nd and he knew that I had BS'ed my mark, just to make him feel better.

I don't know, this links in with IPT too.
So I do my homework, and I like to read the textbook sometimes, who cares? I'm just bettering myself...

*gets off his soapbox*
sorry for the 'outpouring' of emotion

but he's normally a cool guy, except when he's being a complete *BEEP* on the internet, in "public" forums such as this. I have to maintain some form of authority/respect here, even if it's enforced at school in terms of the prefect system/leadership/rankings/marks.

Gah... sorry again

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
haha no prob huy its good to get things off your chest :D
id be the same in that sort of situation...

DyanDED1

HSC
Huy is so butthurt. So much that I had to respond to a message that was made when I was born. Tigerboi didn't even say anything bad, his advice doesnt have to be related to you, not everything is about you, how is the advice "its easy do your homework" not also related to 90% of other IPT student.

EthanWasHere_

HSC
Huy is so butthurt. So much that I had to respond to a message that was made when I was born. Tigerboi didn't even say anything bad, his advice doesnt have to be related to you, not everything is about you, how is the advice "its easy do your homework" not also related to 90% of other IPT student.
Had to do the exact same also made an account just for this post. Nice Bunny girl senpai profile pic btw👍

I also can't believe that a post made the year I was born still has relevant content.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Had to do the exact same also made an account just for this post. Nice Bunny girl senpai profile pic btw👍

I also can't believe that a post made the year I was born still has relevant content.
It's scary to think that we have people born in the 2000's on here... but then it has been 15+ years since I did my HSC (but not as old as Huy/tigerboi).

I didn't even know they still offered IPT as a subject nowadays, but whilst for a long time I thought it was a hugely relevant/useful subject even beyond the obvious fields post high school, unless the syllabus has been massively updated/reworked (doubt it) then it's largely historical theory at this point.

DiSABLEd

HSC
I wonder if Huy and Tigerboi are still friends, weird to think they were making these posts before I even existed and now I'm reading them 18 years later.

DiSABLEd

HSC
Also weird to think in another decade or 2 someone could be reading this post, someone born in 2021. Hello alien

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)