Using a Song as a related text (1 Viewer)

Donkey Rhubarb

HSC
Hi guys... first post here

Im sure you've heard your teachers rant on about not using songs as related texts. Well mine is slightly different. The song is "stone in focus" by Aphex twin and it does not have any lyrics. It is very simple three notes played on an organ and they ostinato (i think that means repeats) throughout the entire song. It is very minimal and, i know it sounds cheesy, but it makes me go on an imaginative journey.

Could anyone tell me if they are doing something similar or give me any advice because i am not a music boffin i dont know the correct terms for descriping music.

cheers :wave:

Dr_Doom

HSC
Donkey Rhubarb said:
Hi guys... first post here

Im sure you've heard your teachers rant on about not using songs as related texts. Well mine is slightly different. The song is "stone in focus" by Aphex twin and it does not have any lyrics. It is very simple three notes played on an organ and they ostinato (i think that means repeats) throughout the entire song. It is very minimal and, i know it sounds cheesy, but it makes me go on an imaginative journey.

Could anyone tell me if they are doing something similar or give me any advice because i am not a music boffin i dont know the correct terms for descriping music.

cheers :wave:
I don't know how you would create an argument with that or even analyse it..

I'm doing a song for Module C "Train - Drops of Jupiter".

BrianTheGod

HSC
Are you kidding, of course you can use a song. I was actually plannign to do Bohemian Rhapsody for one of my related text (and i thought iw as original :rofl:) I am also doing Apocalypse Now AND a COMPUTER GAME "Starcraft" *GASP*..Honestly as long as the text is an imaginative journey, I cant see the problem with using it.

BrianTheGod

HSC
tamorapierce13 said:
The point Dr_Doom was trying to make is that the OP's related text has no lyrics, and therefore he would need to talk solely about the musical aspects of the song. And as the OP pointed out, there isn't much of a variety with beats, etc. So yeah, I'd say it was a difficult text, but of course, completely acceptable.
yeah I spose your right, writing about pure score music (with no lyrics) in my honest opinion would be committing english hsc suicide. Why would you want to write on probably one of the most abstract and subjective mediums known to man...

sweetish

HSC
do something else mate! well... it might be a little too late, but i mean, do a related text thats gna make ur life easy, that is full of techniques u can analyse, etc. im all for songs despite what teachers said, but urs seems really difficult. but then, i guess u could write about harmonies.. blah but ur really gna have to juice that text for it to work

hth

Trizzay

HSC
If you really feel like you have enough techniques and can address everything adequately then go for it but if its just one of those inexplicable feelings you get and can't explain on paper then you might run into a bit of trouble :p

I've been using U2 - Beautiful day as related material all year and I haven't heard any teacher reflect negatively on a song, i find a songs, especially ones you like are pretty easy to remember tbh, if you're struggling for a quote start singing in your head haha

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I would say it's not acceptable.

I hate to toot the horn but I study and analyse music in my degree on a daily basis and unrelatedly, I also got Band 6's in English...

I'm going to say no, absolutely unacceptable.

You use a song like a poem. You can refer to "some" musical aspects eg how it gives you a sense of freedom etc. But honestly, with abstract things like "blah blah three note motif sense of peace" ... and having no lyrics to fall back on, basically you're doing a mediocre (if not poor) job in showing off your English skills as well as your musical skills.

Why bother?

Last edited:

Trizzay

HSC
tamorapierce13 said:
But are you treating the song as a text, or the lyrics as a text? They are quite different and in this case the OP would not be able to use the lyrics for the text. And as the poster above said, it is pretty damn hard talking musical aspects of a song when you are in an English class. It just doesn't make sense.
Ah true, point taken :), I'm using lyrics in conjunction with very simplistic referral to the music itself.. without the lyrics it would be very difficult to give the text enough substance to use effectively in an essay

Dr_Doom

HSC
Hmmn I see a few people doing songs by jack johnson..

up all nite

HSC
yeah, constellations relates well with coleridge's this lime tree bower and frost at midnight... coz there talking abt nature... so yeah...

soulprincess-89

HSC
it wouldn't be that hard to use if you used it properly. you'd have to relate it to the meaning that comes from listening to the music. its a personal imaginative journey, its not set out for you. the only difficult part would be anylising your own thoughts to understand why the music is seen that way for you. it's a good choice because anylising your own thoughts, feelings and reactions are easier to access and understand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)