Using accelerated prelim units as my prelim units in year 11 (1 Viewer)

Timbuctee

HSC
So I'm doing 13 units and its pretty aids and I want to drop IPT because it's just not enjoyable. I already completed a 2u course (SOR2) in year 10 and was wondering if I could drop out of my IPT class, switching the classes out for frees?

Pedro123

HSC
Well it depends on the school. Some schools allow it, others don't (Because it gives students free periods). You'd have to check with the school

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
A user said:
what happens if you do 11 units for the hsc?
Taking 11 units most likely means that you are taking an Extension subject as part of your subject selection. An Extension subject is usually a 1 unit subject. Only 10 units will contribute towards your ATAR.

In the event where you have not performed well in one of your 2 unit subjects, the Extension subject can be used to reduce the negative effect that unfavourable performance in the 2 unit subject can have on your ATAR (provided you have performed well in your Extension subject). This is done by having only one unit count from the 2 unit subject, allowing for the Extension subject, being also one unit, to contribute towards your ATAR, which halves the negative effect that the 2 unit subject would've initially had on your ATAR.

If your Extension subject ends up being your lowest-performing subject, then it will simply not count towards your ATAR. Instead, the remaining 10 units will contribute towards your ATAR.

I hope this helps! 😄

JakeFarr

HSC
Taking 11 units most likely means that you are taking an Extension subject as part of your subject selection. An Extension subject is usually a 1 unit subject. Only 10 units will contribute towards your ATAR.

In the event where you have not performed well in one of your 2 unit subjects, the Extension subject can be used to reduce the negative effect that unfavourable performance in the 2 unit subject can have on your ATAR (provided you have performed well in your Extension subject). This is done by having only one unit count from the 2 unit subject, allowing for the Extension subject, being also one unit, to contribute towards your ATAR, which halves the negative effect that the 2 unit subject would've initially had on your ATAR.

If your Extension subject ends up being your lowest-performing subject, then it will simply not count towards your ATAR. Instead, the remaining 10 units will contribute towards your ATAR.

I hope this helps! 😄
Does this apply to all 2 unit subjects? Specifically, English.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Does this apply to all 2 unit subjects? Specifically, English.
Regarding English, I believe this only applies if you are taking more than 2 units of English, that is, English Extension 1 in addition to English Advanced. The rule is that the best 2 units of English always have to count towards a student’s ATAR, which I believe can be comprised of 1 unit of English Advanced and 1 unit of English Extension 1. Of course, this would apply provided the student performed poorly in English Advanced, in which case having English Extension 1 count would halve the effect that unfavourable performance in English Advanced would have on the student’s ATAR (provided the student performed well in English Extension 1).

akhan324

HSC

I hope this helps! 😄
2 questions - does english always count, like both units (specifically doing advanced)? what if you do ext 2 maths with ext 1 maths and makes up to be 11 units then if u don’t perform well in one of these exts it won’t be counted?

icycledough

HSC

I hope this helps! 😄
I was just curious (I've finished my HSC last year btw), but for me, I also did 11 units. My extension unit final mark was 90 and my lowest HSC mark for one of my 2 unit subjects was 82. So obviously, the best units would comprise of the extension unit and half of the 2 unit subject. Would NESA simply just aggregate them together and just half it, or is there a more formal way they calculate the last 2 units?

icycledough

HSC
2 questions - does english always count, like both units (specifically doing advanced)? what if you do ext 2 maths with ext 1 maths and makes up to be 11 units then if u don’t perform well in one of these exts it won’t be counted?
So a minimum of 2 units of English has to count for every student. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that say if Extension 2 was your lowest scoring subject, then it wouldn't be counted (as Extension 2 is just one unit more than Extension 1). So say if your subjects were:

• 4U Maths
  • 3U Maths
  • English Advanced
  • Chemistry
  • French Continuers
  • French Extension

If 4U was your worst, then the 10 units would comprise of 3 units of maths, 2 units of english, 2 units of chemistry, 2 units of physics, 2 units of french continuers and 1 unit of french extension.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I was just curious (I've finished my HSC last year btw), but for me, I also did 11 units. My extension unit final mark was 90 and my lowest HSC mark for one of my 2 unit subjects was 82. So obviously, the best units would comprise of the extension unit and half of the 2 unit subject. Would NESA simply just aggregate them together and just half it, or is there a more formal way they calculate the last 2 units?
I don’t believe NESA would aggregate them together mainly because they are treated as two separate subjects, as follows:
  • 1 Extension unit
  • 1 unit of a 2 unit subject

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)