Using MX2 skills in Physics exam? (1 Viewer)

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I do watch Andrew Dotson, also 3b1b, pbs space time, veritasium, papa flammy, etc :cool:😆
I used to think I was the only one who watches them. In Uni everyone in Physics knows them. I literally made friends by discussing these guys lol.

Real analysis is just very rigorous from what I’ve heard, everyone doing maths at uni seems to prefer complex analysis
I haven't actually done Real Analysis so yeah most likely it's harder.
I like Complex Analysis because you delve deep into proofs using Complex numbers and also Surface Integrals etc, which is always interesting.

Arrowshaft

HSC
I used to think I was the only one who watches them. In Uni everyone in Physics knows them. I literally made friends by discussing these guys lol.

I like Complex Analysis because you delve deep into proofs using Complex numbers and also Surface Integrals etc, which is always interesting.
When do you do GR btw? Do you do tensor calc in undergrad too? And yes, i love em too, you excited for this years christmas special on flammy‘s channel?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
When do you do GR btw? Do you do tensor calc in undergrad too?
GR is done usually in your final year of Undergrad Physics. I'm pretty sure it's not actually a 'core' course at usyd and unsw, but it's offered. Probably because it's very specific and most Physics majors don't really need it. Yup tensor calc is undergrad, I'm pretty sure it gets taught with GR because you would've learnt all the background stuff needed for it.

you excited for this years christmas special on flammy‘s channel?
Always, who isn't excited about Papa Flammy :p

Arrowshaft

HSC
GR is done usually in your final year of Undergrad Physics. I'm pretty sure it's not actually a 'core' course at usyd and unsw, but it's offered. Probably because it's very specific and most Physics majors don't really need it. Yup tensor calc is undergrad, I'm pretty sure it gets taught with GR because you would've learnt all the background stuff needed for it.

Always, who isn't excited about Papa Flammy :p
Might see you at USYD if I decide to do adv sci, if so I’ll communicate in LaTeX only. :p

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW!! =(

For real if you wanna go to USYD Physics just remember everyone complains about their outdated equipment, it convinced me to cancel my usyd offer and go unsw.

Arrowshaft

HSC
UNSW!! =(

For real if you wanna go to USYD Physics just remember everyone complains about their outdated equipment, it convinced me to cancel my usyd offer and go unsw.
Hahaha really? Lol I thought you went to USYD. Alright, my friends always told me USYD was better for physics but I’ll see haha

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Hahaha really? Lol I thought you went to USYD. Alright, my friends always told me USYD was better for physics but I’ll see haha
It's usyd and unsw. It's not MIT vs Western Sydney Uni haha. Really if you look at it both are equally shit for Physics in terms of ranking. Going to Usyd over Unsw or Unsw over Usyd has no boost in value in terms of 'prestige'.

Arrowshaft

HSC
It's usyd and unsw. It's not MIT vs Western Sydney Uni haha. Really if you look at it both are equally shit for Physics in terms of ranking. Going to Usyd over Unsw or Unsw over Usyd has no boost in value in terms of 'prestige'.
Oh interesting, I thought QS ranked them top 50’s but that must not correlate toward STEM I guess. Hmm, I was considering international study as well but probably will go to UNSW or USYD

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh interesting, I thought QS ranked them top 50’s but that must not correlate toward STEM I guess. Hmm, I was considering international study as well but probably will go to UNSW or USYD
Overall they are ranked really well, but if you look at Physics specifically they are both trash, and I mean that's expected because all the top Physics research you hear about is always from the US. However I will say Unsw ranks much higher than Usyd for Maths. It does correlate towards STEM but not in every single field, and especially a tough field like Physics which also requires LARGE amounts of funding that Aus simply doesn't have as compared to the US.

Also there's not really a point doing International study for Undergrad. If you really want to it's better for Postgrad. @blyatman can confirm, he's majored in General Relativity

Arrowshaft

HSC
Overall they are ranked really well, but if you look at Physics specifically they are both trash, and I mean that's expected because all the top Physics research you hear about is always from the US. However I will say Unsw ranks much higher than Usyd for Maths. It does correlate towards STEM but not in every single field, and especially a tough field like Physics which also requires LARGE amounts of funding that Aus simply doesn't have as compared to the US.
Wow, you just made me reconsider. Thanks for the insights, all this time I thought USYD was better... those damn hogwarts buildings must’ve cast a spell on me.

Arrowshaft

HSC
Also there's not really a point doing International study for Undergrad. If you really want to it's better for Postgrad. @blyatman can confirm, he's majored in General Relativity
Yeah that’s what resulted in my mind fluctuating about not doing international study for undergrad, I knew it wouldn’t be worth it for a bachelors.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Wow, you just made me reconsider. Thanks for the insights, all this time I thought USYD was better... those damn hogwarts buildings must’ve cast a spell on me.
I mean it may be a small bit better, but that really shouldn't influence you because Internationally the difference is small so no one cares, especially when both are equally bad. Like if you compared an MIT grad to a grad from a school ranked 2nd then yeah people would care because it's MIT the best school in the world.

Yeah that’s what resulted in my mind fluctuating about not doing international study for undergrad, I knew it wouldn’t be worth it for a bachelors.
It also costs much more than an Australian education. We'll pay about 9k a year but over there it's about 50+k a year. So price vs worth not really a good ratio.

Arrowshaft

HSC
I mean it may be a small bit better, but that really shouldn't influence you because Internationally the difference is small so no one cares, especially when both are equally bad. Like if you compared an MIT grad to a grad from a school ranked 2nd then yeah people would care because it's MIT the best school in the world.

It also costs much more than an Australian education. We'll pay about 9k a year but over there it's about 50+k a year. So price vs worth not really a good ratio.
That’s true. Also are you planning to go straight into a PhD program or do a Masters first?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
That’s true. Also are you planning to go straight into a PhD program or do a Masters first?
Na screw masters haha. I would rather get First Class Honours so I can skip straight into a PhD. That is IF I do a PhD because I'm learning Physics just because I love it. In terms of career prospects in Aus, there ain't many..

Also when I said both are trash I mean't they're both ranked 80+ as opposed to Top 50 which is really what we consider 'good'. So they aren't bad 'bad' but not prestigious.

Arrowshaft

HSC
Na screw masters haha. I would rather get First Class Honours so I can skip straight into a PhD. That is IF I do a PhD because I'm learning Physics just because I love it. In terms of career prospects in Aus, there ain't many..

Also when I said both are trash I mean't they're both ranked 80+ as opposed to Top 50 which is really what we consider 'good'. So they aren't bad 'bad' but not prestigious.
Dude 80+ is trash???? Hahaha high standards lol

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Dude 80+ is trash???? Hahaha high standards lol
Yeah well it's not in the pool of being Prestigious. Like for e.g. Usyd and Unsw Law school is ranked top 20 in the world...

Probably also better than Dotson’s uni as well I suspect, don’t think he went to an 80+ ranked uni when he did undergrad
Yeah his undergrad uni didn't make the rankings but I mean the dudes a grad student now so he's set!

Arrowshaft

HSC
Yeah well it's not in the pool of being Prestigious. Like for e.g. Usyd and Unsw Law school is ranked top 20 in the world...

Yeah his undergrad uni didn't make the rankings but I mean the dudes a grad student now so he's set!
Haha I’m sure top 80’s is good enough for any employer to hire good ol’ Dusk :cool:

blyatman

HSC
N/A
You'll see stuff like

Oh boy does that bring me back... I still remember my 3rd yr electrodynamics exam asking us to solve Maxwell's equations to calculate the speed of light.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Real analysis is just very rigorous from what I’ve heard, everyone doing maths at uni seems to prefer complex analysis
I always thought real was taught first as a precursor to complex analysis - at usyd we just had a 2nd year course called real and complex analysis. I found real analysis to be much easier tbh. The 3rd year complex analysis course was hell so be careful what u wish for (I mean, analysis is generally regarded as one of the hardest UG subjects). It was the only maths course with an open book exam, and it was also the only maths course where u had to buy the tutorial solutions (rather than viewing them for free) since it was literally 3cm thick due the fact that the solution for each equation spanned 10-15pages. The exam was weighted 70% and they asked you to choose 3 out of 4 questions to complete. Didn't matter as I could only do 2 of them, and I still ended up getting a 75. It was my only maths course where I got below 80.

But yeah it's definitely an interesting subject, the best part being how you can use complex integration to solve difficult real integrals in several lines (which would normally take several pages using conventional techniques). I had to take it again in grad school and I found it a lot easier and more enjoyable the second time around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)