Using Other Languages? (1 Viewer)

languidbuterfly

HSC
N/A
Does anybody know what the situation with regard to using other languages in their work? I have passages where I have written conversations in French, and footnoted the translated versions, however I'm unsure as to whether this will work out, or go down well with the marking group or similar... has anybody heard of this being done, or have suggestions on the best way to do this, if at all?

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
I've known some of the people in our class who've thought starting their work with quotes of doing so, particularly in their original language.
I dont think its necessarily a bad idea, and if it helps to achieve a particular theme/idea then I think you are perfectly feasible to do so, it is afterall your own work.
However the only reservations I would have about this is the length of these segments. If they are too long, I would say footnoting would be essential. But if it is just to spice it up a little, go ahead :)

candi_licious

languidbuterfly said:
Does anybody know what the situation with regard to using other languages in their work? I have passages where I have written conversations in French, and footnoted the translated versions, however I'm unsure as to whether this will work out, or go down well with the marking group or similar... has anybody heard of this being done, or have suggestions on the best way to do this, if at all?
Last year i actually incorperated spanish into my major work, because i had to show the diversity of culture and ways of life in aust compared to chile, i had placed many long conversations in spanish which involved the mother and daughter and had translated it to english in the footnote, the eng ext 2 teachers, being senior markers loved it because it was what made the mw unique, also the markers also must have liked it coz i got 48..so i say sure why not, its something that not many ppl experiment with, but if done well, you will get the marks. hope that makes sense

X

xeuyrawp

candilish3z said:
Last year i actually incorperated spanish into my major work, because i had to show the diversity of culture and ways of life in aust compared to chile, i had placed many long conversations in spanish which involved the mother and daughter and had translated it to english in the footnote, the eng ext 2 teachers, being senior markers loved it because it was what made the mw unique, also the markers also must have liked it coz i got 48..so i say sure why not, its something that not many ppl experiment with, but if done well, you will get the marks. hope that makes sense
Agreed. I put a lot of different languages in mine and blurred them with english halfway through the sentence (like films do), and I got a good mark, (albeit one mark less than candilish:p)

piasimona

HSC
hey!!!!! im thinking of doing the same thing but with spanish AND french! so it's good to see that i'm not the only one hahaha
hey, and what school did oyu go to candleish? cuz you sound much like a girl that did extension 2 at my school last year haha
and btw; i'm chilena too !!!

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
The markers are interested in the creative use of various textual features in the Major Work. It is perfectly sound to use other languages - in your case, dialogues in French - if they serve a legitimate purpose (which can be justified in your Reflection Statement). As long as the Major Work is artistically coherent, it is perfectly fine to use other languages. I can, in fact, imagine something quite interesting being born from the creative use of languages in the Major Work.

princesssfi

breakmystride
HSC
i'm thinking about using Japanese - anyone going down that path?
yeha also wondering just how much you can put in before you need to start translating...
i'm thinking the half-english, half-japanese sentences which kindof explain the concept will work. hmmm...

devious_lisa

HSC
i think its actually a realli good idea to use a different language. i'm thinkin of using chinese and like kinda just show the transition of my character and that the change in atmosphere kinda attributes to the change in my character.

X

xeuyrawp

devious_lisa said:
i think its actually a realli good idea to use a different language. i'm thinkin of using chinese and like kinda just show the transition of my character and that the change in atmosphere kinda attributes to the change in my character.
Remember that knowing other languages can sometimes not be impressive- I come from a Swedish family and did Japanese at school, it's just my luck of the barrel that I'm trilingual- sometimes it could just be a waste of space. I guess what I'm getting at is don't use it for "padding", same kinda rule as using quotes in essays. Other than that I guess the use can have a good effect:)

edited for terrible spelling

Crazy Horse

HSC
Yea I was thinking of using a language too but only a very small segment. Its an idea my teacher suggested after my Viva Voca and I've been thinking about it the last couple of weeks.

HSC
N/A
im using certain words - hindi - throughout my MW
i think the good stories can encorporate certain terms or phrases into the MW or whatever they're writing - so long as you don't lose the readers.. responders - whatever you want to call them
the key to making sure that this doesnt happen [losing them] is to make sure that you get your work proof read stacks of times! soooo - good luck

*im just they hypocryte.. havent even finished my first draft yet*
*argh*

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
I'd say using languages is a good idea.. however not in big portions... because i mean it is "English" E.2.

devious_lisa

HSC
i noe wot u guys are trying to say
hahaha
now i'm having second thoughts
i was doing mine in like a diary entry by using language as a way of showning a change in my character.......so i was hoping the first entry all in chinese but then the rest a gradual change to english
wot u guys think? i think i mite have overdone it hto

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)