using 'popular' texts 4 crime fiction?? (1 Viewer)

question about the texts i want to use...

i'm looking at using alias and spooks, as contrasting examples of crime fiction on tv today (international organised crime), and doing a bit of the american vs english crime thing...

but looking at the two shows on the surface, are they just TOO pop culture? (or, then again, could i use that to my advantage and go on about the genre and how it's so often best suited to pop culture conventions - the pulps, all the film noir etc??)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I don't see anything wrong with using "pop culture" texts, and as you said, this could be used to your advantage (especially if you got a question like last years HSC).

mon_mon

HSC
In many ways, using pop culture is a good thing, cause in many cases, pop culture has replaced better book becasue it IS pop culture, Snow Falling On Cedars for example. The book has crime fiction themes, but no mere than a thousand other books. But becasue it was the rave book for a while, it found its way onto the sylabus

coroneos

Originally posted by McLake
I don't see anything wrong with using "pop culture" texts, and as you said, this could be used to your advantage (especially if you got a question like last years HSC).
I think that using pop cf texts is not a good idea. The majority of hsc english markers do not watch the new stuff, and therefore they only relate to 'ohhh... james patterson.. excellent stuff', as opposed to 'alias... wtf is that?'?

just my 2cents

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i think pop culture is good
it shows the diversity of the genre

smeyo

i nkow pop culture is a big part of modern day life and thus has an increased importance, but i still feel that for the HSC exams that texts that are renowed are better, life i use Frydor Dostoevsky's crime and punishment as additional, but i guess its really what ever you would enjoy reading or viewing so you like it and pay attention.

elfgal

imho you're right when u say u could use it to ur advantage by saying that the cf genre is best suited to pop-culture conventions. the roots of the cf genre were embedded in the context of popular culture, and using your prescribed & supplementary texts u could argue that it has historically evolved along these lines. it's important to talk about the dynamism of genre in probably any essay (coz of impact of context) so u could talk about how cf conventions have morphed over time (thru blurring of boundaries b/w genres in pretty much all the prescribed texts), but stress that despite this, the genre has always retained it's connection with the mainstream/popular. then suggest a possible reason 4 this :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)