using somebody elses notes to study?? is it a good idea? (1 Viewer)

tjhunt11

HSC
If you study using someone elses notes, like if hes alot smarter than you, would it be ideal to use those notes? If you only use his notes do you think you will be able to get a higher mark in the subject if you were to use his notes but not yours

sorry if i confused you guys haha :)

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
I would say that the process of writing the notes yourself helps you learn

determine

Premium Member
HSC
While I think that using someone else's notes may be beneficial in the sense that it saves you the time associated with writing them yourself, there are advantages associated with making your own notes. As harrisony has pointed out above, one of the major advantages is that it helps you learn as you're actually looking over the course content as you put together the notes. As well, it helps to develop your skills in summarising and condensing large amounts of information and also allows you to make links across courses as you're writing the notes, which is often important in essay-ish subjects/humanities where essay questions require you to draw topics together.

If the person whose notes you wish to use has done well in the particular subject, your best bet would be to actually make your own notes but then incorporate elements from that person's notes so you're actually making them your own. I have given my notes to a particular person in Year 12 at the moment but advised them that they make their own and refer to mine as a benchmark and use them as a way to further strengthen their notes.

Hope this helps!

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Well, the best notes are written by yourself. I tend to find that using other people's notes a bit confusing as it is mainly suited to them. If you can understand them, go for it. :D

erespall

Pirate Lord.. Arrr
HSC
If the person whose notes you wish to use has done well in the particular subject, your best bet would be to actually make your own notes but then incorporate elements from that person's notes so you're actually making them your own. I have given my notes to a particular person in Year 12 at the moment but advised them that they make their own and refer to mine as a benchmark and use them as a way to further strengthen their notes.

Hope this helps!
Yeah I have a several sets of notes, From school and classes, my own study and revision questions and notes, State ranking notes and my tutors notes.

After i have all my notes i compile them all into 1 document going in order from the syllabus dot points and add the most important or best points from all my sets of notes and end up with 1 set of extremely concise notes based around the syllabus that i can easily access that has both back ground info, causation chains, stats, and summaries...

but yeah thats what i do but it takes a while to do so thats why i compile all my sets of notes for each sub during the holidays.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Yeah I have a several sets of notes, From school and classes, my own study and revision questions and notes, State ranking notes and my tutors notes.

After i have all my notes i compile them all into 1 document going in order from the syllabus dot points and add the most important or best points from all my sets of notes and end up with 1 set of extremely concise notes based around the syllabus that i can easily access that has both back ground info, causation chains, stats, and summaries...

but yeah thats what i do but it takes a while to do so thats why i compile all my sets of notes for each sub during the holidays.
I never wrote my own notes =]
I never wrote my notes in Preliminary :p I may have added bits and pieces but mostly it was by someone else. I found that okay but I prefer writing my own notes because it lets you go over the content thoroughly and by writing/typing it yourself you understand it better. Sure, it may be great to use a 99.95 ATAR's notes but it doesn't necessarily mean you will understand it. Notes are only good if you understand the topic and the various concepts it contains.

jayy100

HSC
N/A
If you have notes (especially from someone else, who did well in the HSC) then use them! Use them as an extra resource, but just don't COMPLETELY rely on them..
Don't just study someone else's notes, for the sake of being lazy and detatched from your own studies.

With that being said, compiling notes isn't the most efficient study technique for everybody. So if you dont want to compile your own notes, then spend your time else where (such as past papers, studying marking criteria, etc) :] A mix of both (dependent on the subject and content) should suffice!

mecramarathon

HSC
i made notes from the exemplar sample responses of past trial and hsc papers, they're pretty succint and good :)

kcqn93

HSC
You could always collaborate notes... Get somebody else's notes and update and change them to your liking. What I did for Ancient History, was got all the notes from the BoS resources and just summarized and organised the different info I could get from it.

erespall

Pirate Lord.. Arrr
HSC
oh god this is taking for ever, lol i underestimated how much time it would take to compile and organise all my notes haha

siav

HSC
The whole point of notes are to revise the content you have studied in class... so you read notes to help to memorise the concepts etc.. so it doesnt matter if you dont make your own notes and read someone elses notes (if their good) as long as you do past papers and make sure you know the cintent...

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
oh god this is taking for ever, lol i underestimated how much time it would take to compile and organise all my notes haha
Hahah, agreed! It's pretty much a full time job, but i prefer it over downloading someone else's notes. Like with someone else's notes, they may have misinterpreted something, or they may be shifty >.>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)