Using state averages to determine band cut-offs (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Does the Board of Studies use state averages to determine the band cut-offs? Or is it a purely independent committee that determines cut-offs at their own discretion?

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
Im not sure on this so we should wait for the almighty Laz (the only person outside the BOS who actually understands the aligning/scaling processes). I think it's a committee of people who look at the paper and decide it's difficulty, and that the result of their decision is in no way influenced by the performance of the candidature. So in theory everyone in the state COULD get a Band 6. I assume the committe would make its decision before the paper is sat too, so they arent influenced by the media?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The judges are meant to only determine cut-offs with respect to the published standards. This doesn't happen until after the paper has been sat, so yes, it is theoretically possible that they could be influenced by the media - but this is unlikely to have any noticeable effect in practice. The cut-offs recommended by the judges need to be supported by reference to the standards, and the final cut-offs are an average of the cut-offs suggested by individual judges. All judges would need to be influenced in the same way... and they still have to be able to justify their cut-offs.

I believe the judges are still provided with feedback regarding the proportions of students falling into each band as the marking progresses, but this is only an extra 'check' to ensure that everything is going along as it should. If, for example, it was discovered that all students actually were receiving Band 6 results (which would probably be flagged as 'anomalous'), the markers would need to go back to the original exam responses to double-check that they truly were of a Band 6 standard. However, if the standard of the responses justifies the marks being awarded, they can't just arbitrarily change the distribution of marks.

Well... the judges can't, anyway.

The HSC Consultative Committee has the final say. They can make small 'adjustments' to the raw band cut-offs that have been recommended by the judges. I've been told informally by previous Supervisors of Marking (who also found out informally) that this has been done before.

I don't have any more details, though. Nothing like that is ever mentioned in the published reports... possibly because there simply aren't any published reports on aligning. In fact, the Board doesn't publish any detailed reports anymore. You could try gleaning a few tidbits from the Masters Review. But we really have no idea what goes on.

You just have to trust them... :rolleyes:

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
does the uai ppl get all your marks from bos if u do more than 10 units
or does bos decide which are your best 10 and only forward those?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The Board forwards all marks, because your best 10 can't be determined until after scaling.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The Board forwards both raw and aligned marks (on a 1-unit basis and to one decimal place), but it is only the raw marks that are scaled and used in UAI calculations.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
I wonder why they don't align it before the exam to avoid any prejudice or bias from the media. After last year's exam, I'm sure the judges would have been under pressure to get it right, especially after the many complaints from students and their parents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)